Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
I really need help T^T

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ringwiln

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:59 am
Okay so, I'm currently a Christian who is very interested in becoming Wiccan. Other than the obvious fears of changing religion(especially one that clashes so hard with my current path), I have the added problems of my family(who is entirly Christian, all my distant relatives, even our friends and their family back home), who I live with and will continue to for a few more years, the issues of my own fears of wondering if this is the right choice, if I'm just being tempted by Satan, ect., and not really knowing where to start if I do.
Well, basically, this just sounds like a regular Christian-to-Wiccan delima.

Even so, I have no one I can't talk to about this. I've been interested in Wicca for a number of years, and for the longest time I've felt as though it "called to me", urging me to "come home". I even had a dream when I was younger, before I knew more than the basics of the Wicca, where three women came to me, offering me to take part in their magical workings under the light of a full moon, which had two crescent moons on either side of it.
Only after going to the library and flipping through a spellbook did I get the shock that what I'd seen(the moon)was a major Wiccan symbol, and then the added bonus of the three women(actually, there were two young girls and an older woman), who might've been the young girl, the woman, and the crone(or w/e, I don't really remember what I read ^^; )).
Ever since then I've been battling with the laws of life I've been taught to obey, and the growing desire, even need, to get closer to this "Goddess" figure. I can't really say how, but I feel so connected to her at times, it creates a great saddness inside of me.

Anyway, I'm really upset about this, and I want to make the right decision! I know no one can choose for me, but I really need help.

Please help T^T!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:13 pm
Ringwiln
Okay so, I'm currently a Christian who is very interested in becoming Wiccan. Other than the obvious fears of changing religion(especially one that clashes so hard with my current path), I have the added problems of my family(who is entirly Christian, all my distant relatives, even our friends and their family back home), who I live with and will continue to for a few more years, the issues of my own fears of wondering if this is the right choice, if I'm just being tempted by Satan, ect., and not really knowing where to start if I do.
Well, basically, this just sounds like a regular Christian-to-Wiccan delima.

Even so, I have no one I can't talk to about this. I've been interested in Wicca for a number of years, and for the longest time I've felt as though it "called to me", urging me to "come home". I even had a dream when I was younger, before I knew more than the basics of the Wicca, where three women came to me, offering me to take part in their magical workings under the light of a full moon, which had two crescent moons on either side of it.
Only after going to the library and flipping through a spellbook did I get the shock that what I'd seen(the moon)was a major Wiccan symbol, and then the added bonus of the three women(actually, there were two young girls and an older woman), who might've been the young girl, the woman, and the crone(or w/e, I don't really remember what I read ^^; )).
Ever since then I've been battling with the laws of life I've been taught to obey, and the growing desire, even need, to get closer to this "Goddess" figure. I can't really say how, but I feel so connected to her at times, it creates a great saddness inside of me.

Anyway, I'm really upset about this, and I want to make the right decision! I know no one can choose for me, but I really need help.

Please help T^T!

I'm not really sure what to tell you. I don't want to seem rude, or malicious, because I'm neither - I just want to impart to you some information. So please take this in the spirit it's intended - as advice.

1) Wicca is an oathbound, orthopraxic mystery witchcult. It's not as easy as just saying "I'm Wiccan, now." Becoming a Wiccan involves finding a coven for whom you are a good fit, and earning the right to initiation through study and hard work. Wicca is a coven-based practice; solitary Wiccans are somewhat of a myth.

2) Because Wicca is based on practice (which is what orthopraxic means), you have to properly be taught in person - you can't learn it from a book or website. And because it is oathbound, non-initiates do not see or hear any of Wicca's teachings. What you study prior to initiation is designed to help you understand what comes after.

3) You might have some time to wait. Wicca doesn't initiate minors - you must be at least 18, or in some places 21, before a coven will accept you as a member. This is for legal purposes; Wiccan practice does involve sexual activities. The Ardanes (the 'laws' of Wicca) specifically state that Wiccans should avoid drawing attention to themselves from the law.

4) Wiccan covens have a standard for their members, called 'proper personhood'. Typically Wicca requires you to be a mature, responsible adult who is in a stable place in life, and does not answer to any other authority figures. Some things may vary from coven to coven, depending on their group personality.

Because covens have autonomy over themselves, they're free to set their own standards. This means that you may not be acceptable to every coven you meet, and it may take you a long time to find one. But it also means that you can keep looking, even if a particular coven rejects you.

5) You will be expected to sacrifice time, money, and energy seeking Wicca. This includes having to travel - many Wiccans do. Not being able to find a local coven isn't an excuse; some people travel long distances to be able to attend theirs.

6) The Triple Goddess is a soft-polytheistic concept common to eclectic neo-paganism, and Goddess-worship. She, however, is not the Wiccan goddess - the Lady does not fit that profile. This is another common misconception. It does not make Her appearance in your dream less meaningful, though - all it means is that you may be looking for a path that is not Wicca.

7) Wicca is badly misrepresented in books and online. Not everything that says it's Wicca actually is. Your best bet to actually learn what is up from down is to check out a mailing list called Amber and Jet - http://amberandjet.spiralpaths.org/

That list is populated by many Wiccan Elders and priesthood, who are there to help educate people, and direct them to local covens if possible.

Barring that, there is the Wicca FAQ on the M&R forum here on Gaia - there is decent information there, if you can sift through it all.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/wiccan-faq-profit/t.22819829/  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces