Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Should I buy a PS1?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm
I want to play the original Silent Hill and Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9. And that's about it. Would it be worth it to buy a whole system for that? I'd look on eBay but I can't use PayPal because it's being retarded...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm
Final Fantasies 7 and 9 would be worth playing, but not 8. In 8 you have to find special weapon magazines. Some version of Guns&Ammo and from there have to collect parts in order to upgrade your weapon. There are no weapon shops for you to buy from so you HAVE to upgrade to get better weapons. You get a paycheck every so often rather than the traditional money per kill and pay is based on rank so it can be pretty good or suck balls. There were some other problems with it, but I can't remember them since it was so long ago that I played.

Anyway you are probably better off buying a PS2. They can play PS1 games and can save progress on a PS1 card.

Didn't you say you had a PS3 though? If you do I think you can just get an attachment to plug in memory cards and play PS1/PS2 games off it.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:59 am
Well, if you're going for a somewhat vintage look go ahead and get a PS1.

I figured all PS consoles were... 'forward(?)' compatible with their games.
Just have to use the old memory cards.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Memory-Card-Adaptor/dp/B000K1GZIU

But that does look like a PS2 card though...
:/
Something to research I guess.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 pm
I have a PS2. It should be able to play PS1 games, but that doesn't mean it does. Borrowed FF7 once and 80% of the time the game just wouldn't start. My PS2 just doesn't play PS1 games reliably.  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:40 pm
Oh, damn.

Well then, if the PS1 is cheap enough, works, and you have enough space for it then get it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:58 pm
ArmasTermin
I have a PS2. It should be able to play PS1 games, but that doesn't mean it does. Borrowed FF7 once and 80% of the time the game just wouldn't start. My PS2 just doesn't play PS1 games reliably.
Interesting. I played a PS1 game on my cousins PS2. The disk was pretty scratched up and the video scenes got really choppy on my PS1. Half the time the game wouldn't start at all. I tried it on the PS2 and it worked like a dream.

My mom gave me a copy of FF7 and it wouldn't work on the PS1 either, but that was due to damage on the disk.

OberFeldwebel: The PS1 and PS2 cards look the same but if I recall they store in separate formats.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 pm
Get the PS2. You can pick up one for $60 at Gamestop, and get all the controllers and stuff as well.

PS1 stuff will be harder to get, since only a few game stores (i.e., Game Crazy, if they're in your neighborhood) still sell them. And Final Fantasy VII'll be a b***h to get. You can only get it online, and you'll probably pay fifty bucks or more for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:25 pm
ArmasTermin

Did you have the fat PS2? I know the fat one was sometimes a pain with playing game. Never had a problem with my slim one though.  

war_junky 91

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:57 pm
war_junky 91
ArmasTermin

Did you have the fat PS2? I know the fat one was sometimes a pain with playing game. Never had a problem with my slim one though.
Both my brother and my girlfriend have the fat ones, and neither has ever given me problems with PS1 games, except the obvious saving issues. My friend has been hooked on Xenogears recently, and he's been playing it on my girlfriend's system. Never had a problem.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:10 pm
I wish I could just ask where I could find (virus-free) ROMS and the players to use them without the Gaia JBTs getting onto me. Unfortunately I also can't ask for anyone that knows of such things to PM me about it.

wink  

ArmasTermin

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 pm
I heard somewhere that emulators require changing the computers BIOS and if you mess it up then you're ********.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:47 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
I heard somewhere that emulators require changing the computers BIOS and if you mess it up then you're ******** class="clear">
I picked up an emulator for Guilty Gear XX once and it ran fine without any ********. 'Course, I was running XP on my Mac, but I'd think the ******** would still be needed even then. I also had a few friends who had Zelda emulators and such on the school computers, and they wouldn't have dared risk ******** with the hardware on a school computer like that.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:26 am
I got a PS1 emulator, PSX? I think, anyway, it worked pretty well, I went to play Resident Evil and I didn't remember the graphics and animations being that horrible.

I had a PS2 Emulator as well, extremely finicky, buggy, and required a lot of tweaking before the game was going at the right frames per second.
The sound? ********, you'd need a ruddy miracle for that s**t to work right.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games