Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm
Captain Joey Lickems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom
If you use this definition then it gives a word to discribe a lot of past cultural atrabutes. Trust me I was with you guys not long ago. ... Till a friends once again won the argument.

All it means when they say it started in the 80's is that the word was created. They had no way to think of it before then. That would be like saying there were no hippies before the 60's. That's just stupid. The word hippy may be used for that time and thereafter, but that doesn't mean that before hand no one had those same ideas and beliefs.

Really people aren't as special as they are led to believe. *shurgs* Guess we just have to deal with it.

Ummm... As I said before, we have no way of knowing for sure they were furries or not. I think it's okay to see furry aspects in their works, but they themselves cannot be accurately labeled as furries.

We just don't know if they truly were "fans of anthropormorphic creatures". We can guess...but that doesn't mean they are. Could the person responsible for the concept of Anubis being a jackal be a furry? Perhaps...but how do you know? Making a god into a part animal creature doesn't mean he's a furry. That's just evidence that he did that. You would essentially need to build a time machine, go back in time, and ask this person "are you, or are you not, a furry based upon this definition?" Their answer is the only way to determine the answer.

I'd like to stress that there is a big difference between being a fan and being ...well, just something you do or something that is much more serious than entertainment. People who mix human and animal characteristics and appearances together are not furries by that alone. A person who does this for entertainment would probably fit under the definition of furry. As said by second word in the phrase of your link ("fandom"), you have to be a fan of it. You get joy and entertainment from doing this. I don't think Egyptians were getting entertained by mixing their gods with animals. It wasn't "Hey look guys, I mixed this god up with a jackal! LOL! Horus is gonna be so jealous!" razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 am
That was great. biggrin
Alright, yes. As accept that No one can know, for sure. You are right, there is nothing that they do that puts them in the fandom. They must have found some interest in it, though, you have to admit. It wasn't as if they were "God I hate this Jackle head. Mummy gave it to me last year."
"Well why don't you put it up on that headless man statue over there and hope no one notices."
"That's brillent!"
I don't think that's what happened, although, if I woke up and saw that a jackle head had "grown" on my headless man statue, I would frist think GOD too. xp

So anyways, I'm not being unreasonable. I just would like my theries to be excepted at possible.  

Captain Joey Lickems

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:33 am
It was a decent try at an example, but hippies are not a fandom.

If someone is not an actual part of this fandom, then they are not really a furry. Labeling a group of people as such before the fandom even existed is wrong be default. Just liking anthropomorphic animals is not enough.

Just as just liking Star Trek does not make someone a trekkie, or simply enjoying anime does not make one an otaku. One has to go above and beyond, to truly be a fanatic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:05 pm
That depends if you consider yourself a fanatic or not.

If that was the case, I'd be a bigger Otaku than I would be a furry.

I don't know if you can define if you're a furry or not by if your a fanatic or not.  

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 pm
KillerLee
That depends if you consider yourself a fanatic or not.

If that was the case, I'd be a bigger Otaku than I would be a furry.

I don't know if you can define if you're a furry or not by if your a fanatic or not.

Fan is short for fanatic. razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:57 pm
I loved that movie as a kid, same with other animal and anthro movies
like the animal version of davie copperfield..hehe

Though I loved Balto and all dogs go to heaven more  

Demian Mizire

5,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • First step to fame 200
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4