Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
DUbblecoMB Video Game Reviews: [PROTOTYPE] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 pm
DUbblecoMB_CoUNTess
See? There it is. They talk about the OLD games. BK never caught on, Mario DID.

If you look at any top 10 video games list, you'll see super mario 64 somewhere on most of them. BK will not be there.

The popularity of something means nothing. By your logic, twilight is the genre defining fantasy masterpiece of literature.

We can all agree that there are huge similarities between Mario 64 and BK. It's even appropriate to call Banjo Kazooi a clone of Mario 64. However the progressions that the game makes from Mario 64 is what makes it that "genre defining masterpiece." The size of the game, the collectathon, the extensive powerups and moves, the actual plot of the game, the voice actors and music, and the graphics are all unarguably upgraded in Banjo Kazooi.
It's pretty simple to understand that Banjo Kazooi is a necessary step in platform games. And to say that Mario 64 had more influence on zelda is a blatant fallacy and to insist that BK is "just another generic platformer" is lolworthy to anyone who has actually played the game.

I can agree with nitnit making rash opinions, but they are not based on assumptions and ignorance like you're thinking. Everything I have read, watched, and told about prototype shows a mindless button mashing game that I don't have much of an interest in.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:41 pm
DUbblecoMB_CoUNTess
See? There it is. They talk about the OLD games. BK never caught on, Mario DID.

If you look at any top 10 video games list, you'll see super mario 64 somewhere on most of them. BK will not be there.

I don't care that you carelessly judged a game before playing it, I care that you call BANJO KAZOOIE of all things a genre defining masterpiece. I care that you say it's better than super mario 64. It's not. It may be the game that YOU had, and quite a few other people had, but it's really not that good. Ocarina of time was the best 3D platformer of the age, and super mario 64 laid the groundwork for it to exist. BK was halfway between them both and is just another generic platformer. So there.

Lol I love how you don't know what you're talking about. Zelda isn't even a platformer. If it is, then it's the worst platformer ever, since you can't even jump on command. Please, troll more.

Seriously though, BK is arguably the best PLATFORMER. The only real contenders are Banjo Tooie, M64, Mario Sunshine, and Mario Galaxy. Of those games only BK/BT have an extensive library of items that are all usable for different things, and have superior levels. Not to mention the cast of characters and music of BK/BT is better than the mario games (except for the classic medly and koopa's road)

A genre defining masterpiece is a game, where when you look at the entire genre, you say "Quake is a genre defining FPS" or "FF7 is a genre defining JRPG". That's not to say that there's only one, there can be multiple.

But regardless this is WAAAAAY off topic. You should have brought up my statement in the thread that I made the statement in (my review thread). This thread is about prototype, and beat em ups as a whole.  

nitnit
Captain

Dopahkiin

Lonely Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 pm
I'm done arguing with you. You might be able to carry on a conversation if you weren't such a stuck-up p***k! End of discussion!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 am
Well it may be a button masher there is strategy to it. Sure you can button mash your way through your enemies but things change when you fight up different opponents.

Things like

Should i use my claws, blade, whip, or hammerfists to destroy my foe? Should i pick up that M16/Rocket launcher to kill my enemy?

How many foes do i have? Are they weak? Or pretty strong?

Is there a helicoptor i can hijack or a tank?

Theres a chopper/tank! Do i hihack it or destroy it?

Theres too many enemies and my health is getting low... do i run away and go into disguise? Run and grab people and take them away and consume them/ consume them right away?

What can i consume for the best opputunity for survival? Do i beat the hell out of this Hunter fast and get a large amount of health? Or do i consume as much civilains as possible?

those are just a few things i think about when i am playing the game. And usually going in and smashing some heads is the wrong thing to do. Playing it stealth like is a fun/better way to handle things.

For this genre (sandbox) this game holds up really well. Id rather play this over GTA or San Andreas.

Quote:
On another note...
We should consider the achievements/trophies the game has to offer if its a 360/PS3 cause this can also is now a factor if a person should purchase the game.

Tron714
Vice Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 am
DUbblecoMB_CoUNTess
I'm done arguing with you. You might be able to carry on a conversation if you weren't such a stuck-up p***k! End of discussion!

Thats a little to harsh, but a*****e can sum it up.

I have to agree with nitnit though. BK is a masterpeice and is better than N64. And as for the 10 game list, it all depends on where you get your sources. The reason you can say no one cares about BK isnt important anymore is because Rare lost its luster. Nintendo of course has to make its own games to make there own console a success.

They now work for Microsoft making original content, working on avatar support, and much much more.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:40 am
Wow, wow, wow I'd rather be a p***k than an a*****e. But if we want to be correct here, I'm an elitist jerk.

But yes, I forgot to mention that making a top 10 list for the N64 is ridiculous since it's probably the second best console right behind the SNES in terms of incredible games that people still love today.

Anyways, I'll be gameflying prototype in a couple weeks most likely, just want to see which reviews are right, the ones that say that it's only real good feature are the wide selection of powers, or the ones that say that the whole game is great.  

nitnit
Captain

ibystander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:44 pm
thanks for the great review i am getting the game in a week or soooo...  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff