Redwall Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shaviv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 pm
art1sta2
i've never read it before. =/ tell me what its about???

Basic story: imagine ye olde 17th-century England with mice and other woodland animals as the good guys, predators and omnivores like rats, weasels, ferrets, etc. as the bad guys, badgers as inscrutable paladins of Justice from far away...

The first book is about the life of a novice monk at an abbey, called Redwall Abbey for the sandstone facings, which comes under siege by a horde of rats and their allies. The novice thus finds his true destiny (and identity), giving up a chance at being a cleric and instead becoming a knight, and a father.

It's notable among children's books, I think, for the sheer scale and gruesomeness of violence depicted therein: the rats et al. regularly stab each other in the back, a thief casually bludgeons to death someone who tries to stop him, and so on. The rats' new weapon is iron spikes tied to lengths of rope, which are spun around and then released; these either impale the defenders on descent or shatter on impact with the stonework of the walls, shredding anyone nearby. The mice and hedgehogs and assorted other gentle friendly creatures, in comparison, first bury alive and then scald to death a small army of their enemies. The leader of the rats then has a nightmare in which his lieutenant, covered in mud, his boiled flesh sloughing off his bones, comes back to accuse him.

If you're an innocent little kid, it's heavy s**t.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:27 pm
Opossumbly
I hate Redwall. I used to enjoy it, but now I don't. You can read why I don't here.

That's the way your typical high fantasy novels work anyway. It's not limited to Redwall - all of J.R.R. Tolkien's novels follow the same treatment, at least of Orcs and dark-skinned men. neutral  

Shaviv

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 pm
Shaviv
Basic story: imagine ye olde 17th-century England with mice and other woodland animals as the good guys, predators and omnivores like rats, weasels, ferrets, etc. as the bad guys, badgers as inscrutable paladins of Justice from far away...

Ahh, the 17th century. Such a turbulent time with all the conflicts and wars. Those mice better watch out though, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth may threaten their held power and perhaps even colonial foundings! Once they gain access to the sea, it'll be a race to the Americas! Speaking of which, the Spaniards, how are they dealing with the uncivilized furry creatures of the New World? Or are they beginning to have troubles with holding all that territory now? I predict the English may just be on the verge of becoming the dominant power in the world if they play their cards right...

...I have no idea what I'm talking about, I never heard of Redwall before this, and originally I thought it had something to do with communists and maybe the iron curtain. razz  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:28 pm
I've read a little, but I really couldn't get into it. I'll try again, as soon as school starts up :3
I've also seen the series on... what was it? Pbs, I think...  

CodyDudeTm

Desirable Fatcat

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Champion 300
  • Sausage Fest 200

Shaviv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:25 pm
Garek Maxwell
Shaviv

Ahh, the 17th century. Such a turbulent time with all the conflicts and wars. Those mice better watch out though, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth may threaten their held power and perhaps even colonial foundings! Once they gain access to the sea, it'll be a race to the Americas! Speaking of which, the Spaniards, how are they dealing with the uncivilized furry creatures of the New World? Or are they beginning to have troubles with holding all that territory now? I predict the English may just be on the verge of becoming the dominant power in the world if they play their cards right...

...I have no idea what I'm talking about, I never heard of Redwall before this, and originally I thought it had something to do with communists and maybe the iron curtain. razz

Oddly enough, Redwall does have a militant Marxist vole faction who reject the religiosity of the Abbey mice.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:32 am
I read pearls of lutra, but all of them...

Why do the moles talk so dumb!

Oi be thinkin, bur, that thar only furry okay I can't keep it up..

That the only specifically 'furry' book I read regularly is Mouse templar...

If anyone has any suggestions though!(especially with buhnnehs)  

Pixeliciousness

O.G. Elder

F a w k s i

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 am
Watership Down.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items