Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Patron crisis! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:44 pm
Namikikyo
Quote:

Maybe try asking her to meet you in the mountains? Or in the desert perhaps.

That sounds great. I'm really glad you told me this, It will help me in the long run.

Quote:
Could be. I can't say for sure since I'm not experiencing what you're experiencing wink .

heart

Ah, But I'm sure other's have. biggrin I know someone out there is experencing this and when I meet them I can help them through the same thing.

Thank you so much Violet, You've really put me back on my feet. Thank you. heart

D'aww sweatdrop redface .
You're welcome. I hope things come together for you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:21 pm
Now, I know this thread might have little import now that you've figured out that Danu is probably off-limits, but I forgot to post a bit of advice here before and I think it should still apply now.

If any entity approaches you, be it during meditation or in a dream, etc. you should be very cautious as to whether you believe who they say they are. I know other people have said this too, but you should also look at the nature/behavior of their approach. As in your experience with what you believed to be Danu, she was extremely kind and motherly. Now, forgetting that if it was her it would make her an oath breaker, I personally think that such experiences would be rare when first contacted by an unknown deity.

Alaric Albertsson (leader of a Saxon Pagan kindred) said in his book that meeting and building a relationship with the gods is like introducing yourself to your neighbors. I think that the gods would at first try to contact you more subtly throughout a certain period of time, perhaps years, until you try to introduce yourself to them formally (or vice-versa). The deity you introduce yourself to may not even personally appear to you! In such cases a sign to continue might be a close relative of the deity or simply emotions brought about by that deity's symbols or something. And if a deity (or their relation) does visit you, I should think that it would be more of a formal meeting rather than dousing you in love when you've only just met them. I mean, if you met a guy, you wouldn't want him to force you into commitment at the get-go, would you?

In any case, if you can verify that the deity does want you as their own, it doesn't necessarily mean that deity is your patron--you might not even ever have a patron. That isn't to say you'll be lost forever without one; you don't strictly need a patron deity. Simply put, just because a deity contacts you and you feel great love for them does not mean they are meant to be your patron. I mean, that love for them may fade with time--proving that it was more or less just an infatuation. (Though that isn't to say the deity isn't meant for you or anything.)

Anyway, I'll end this ramble. XD I hope it made sense and please feel free to kick me in the shins if I've said anything that's completely off-base or something. XDD

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:24 am
[ Nicolette ]
I personally think that such experiences would be rare when first contacted by an unknown deity.

I disagree. While this may well be the case when we approach a deity, gods can see much farther than we can. (They may know us from a previous life, even.) You will always feel a particular connection with particular gods even before meeting them, and feel disconnected to others.

At any rate, why would a god approach you if they didn't like you to begin with? I see nothing unusual about a deity - particularly a mother figure - approaching in a loving and motherly way. They are people, but they're not humans. They don't necessarily think about things in the same way we do.

I cannot recall ever having had the experience you describe, wherein a god who approached me first took a long time to get to know me. They have tended to be fairly vocal. Not all have been warm, depending on the flavour of my personal relationship with each of them, but they haven't been subtle, shy, reserved or even, in most cases, particularly formal.

Quote:
I mean, if you met a guy, you wouldn't want him to force you into commitment at the get-go, would you?

That implies you always have a choice in the matter. You do with men. You don't always with gods. And when you do, that doesn't mean they're going to be subtle about what they want.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:35 am
Sanguina Cruenta
[ Nicolette ]
I personally think that such experiences would be rare when first contacted by an unknown deity.

I disagree. While this may well be the case when we approach a deity, gods can see much farther than we can. (They may know us from a previous life, even.) You will always feel a particular connection with particular gods even before meeting them, and feel disconnected to others.

At any rate, why would a god approach you if they didn't like you to begin with? I see nothing unusual about a deity - particularly a mother figure - approaching in a loving and motherly way. They are people, but they're not humans. They don't necessarily think about things in the same way we do.

I cannot recall ever having had the experience you describe, wherein a god who approached me first took a long time to get to know me. They have tended to be fairly vocal. Not all have been warm, depending on the flavour of my personal relationship with each of them, but they haven't been subtle, shy, reserved or even, in most cases, particularly formal.

Quote:
I mean, if you met a guy, you wouldn't want him to force you into commitment at the get-go, would you?

That implies you always have a choice in the matter. You do with men. You don't always with gods. And when you do, that doesn't mean they're going to be subtle about what they want.

very much agreed with.^_^  

Artistic Genocide

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:35 am
Sanguina Cruenta
[ Nicolette ]

Quote:

-shrug- Well I'm really only basing this off of a few experiences. I'm still a fairly new pagan and all so... XD Very impressionable when it comes to reading material. Plus I can see our beliefs about previous lives differ a bit. But I still believe whenever a god calls you, it's still up to you whether or not you actually choose to follow them. I mean, the god can pester you about it for the rest of your life, but whether or not you give in to that is entirely your choice. And not every single deity will chase after you if you refuse; obviously you weren't what they thought you were. But hey, maybe that guy who proposes on the first date has something special about him and you fall in love anyway. -shrug- Depends.

It's just that I haven't really had any of those "miraculous" experiences yet and I'm trying to make what I've had seem okay too, since I do have an ego that needs to be fed XD, and a lot of people here seem to have had those kinds of experiences. Plus I was mostly saying it to new pagans or those who have recently found another deity, some of whom I imagine would have noticed that perhaps they'd had subtle callings to the deity/path for a while now before they were pagan. But not necessarily the god will take a long time, but you as a possible follower would try to get to know the deity and whether or not they want you as their own.

I'm also not saying all gods will be subtle, maybe I should've clarified that, since it always depends on the deity itself. But, as I've said, the only experiences I've had myself are subtle, so Nami, or even anyone, might or will not benefit from that advice--advice is given from personal experiences, and not everybody should to adhere to it. XD I wasn't saying she should strictly follow that; I should've clarified that too and said just follow what you truly believe in. But yeah, forgive me for a lot of the things I say since I'm a pagan noob (as you probably noticed from our last little mishap), and probably quoting things from books and stuff. XD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:37 am
I benefit from all advice, Nicolette. Everyone has helped me one way or the other.

I do realize that I can live without one, and infact also realize that not everyone has one. But, that also doesn't mean I'm not going to be looking. I feel honoured that I was told something so simple in a profound way by what I believe to be is a Goddess. I am searching through deities and pantheons in my free time because I believe she is somewhere in the mists of where I am looking..

Everyone wants to be where they belong. I am just searching for that place or that deity.

Namikikyo

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games