Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Difference?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Better
  PSN
  XBL
  Nintendo Wifi.....
View Results

Bayou Bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:28 pm
Ok I've played 360 and PS3, I am a current owner of both (though I lean towards the PS3 more, IDK) and I gotta say, I'm really not seeing a big difference between XBL and PSN, they're both great, they both have the same basic services (XBL has crossgame chat and whatnot) and they both have marketplaces!

My question is why is XBL consitered better than PSN, is there a reason?

(if its obvious and I just haven't discovered it yet, then just call me an R-tard)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 pm
Well,the only reason I can think of is because game demos come out earlier on Xbox Live live than they do on PSN.  

Michael RD

5,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Bayou Bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 pm
Michael RD
Well,the only reason I can think of is because game demos come out earlier on Xbox Live live than they do on PSN.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, it also gets more demos! (thats one reason i guess)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 am
I'm not sure how playstation works, but you can set up a "party" with your friends on xbox live and seamlessly chat between any games.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 am
Basically PSN has caught up dramatically to XBL but it still hasnt beaten it. As nitnit said, party support is a big thing about LIVE has over PSN. The fact that you can easily send invites with your friends, find them, and play with them.

Chat support is another thing that LIVE has over PSN. Uuuum i know my friend has issues with long updates while ours are just minor that we dont even care. It takes like half a minute to update a game or a system update.

Connections i guess you can say is better. I know it takes a while before games on PSN have a good connection that you dont disconnect.

Home is a downfall to PSN, i thought Microsoft was bad at mircotransactions... it costs like $5 for a nice wardrobe for your person if you even bother to pay for it.

Even though PSN is free, PSN has a really bad thing about DRM. If you are not signed in online, you can not access your content. My friend had an issue with this. He was out in the middle of no where, wanted to play his CoD4 maps, it didnt open them up due to him not being connected to the network. So you never really own your content.

Oh! before i forget. The PS3 may be plaqued with some software issues. My friends PS3 is freezing now on certain accounts. I dont know whats starting this and he doesnt know, but his PS3 isnt playable anymore and is being sent back for repairs. So he wasnt happy and im trying to get him to convert to an xbox 3nodding even though he can be ruined again by RRoD or that new error. Oh well lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am
The 360 has the exact same must be connected to XBL content issue... it's also not DRM, but it's just as stupid I guess. Also the original 360 have a 30% failure rate, and the new ones still freeze...

Just being fair.

Edit: And yes tron, I can prove it since I can't use my alternate costumes I bought in SF4 without being logged onto xbox live. Oddly enough you can still use free content without being connected.. XD  

nitnit
Captain

Bayou Bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:57 pm
Thanks ya'll for all the valid input!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:25 pm
Don't you have to pay for XBL services where as PSN is free? I for one don't play online all that much and I'm not much of a talker if I can't look the person I'm speaking to in the eye so a free service without cross talk better suits me. It's all about preference really.  

Felix Kristanelo

5,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Wall Street 200

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:35 pm
nitnit

Edit: And yes tron, I can prove it since I can't use my alternate costumes I bought in SF4 without being logged onto xbox live. Oddly enough you can still use free content without being connected.. XD

I read about that issue before and i find that really odd. Especially that most believe the content is already on the disc and buying the DLC is just a line of code that unlocks it. I think the coding is just the issue in my opinion.

Felix Kristanelo
Don't you have to pay for XBL services where as PSN is free? I for one don't play online all that much and I'm not much of a talker if I can't look the person I'm speaking to in the eye so a free service without cross talk better suits me. It's all about preference really.

Yes preference does matter if you choose a 360 or PS3, but we are specifically just pointing out the differences between each service.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 pm
My friend also has the latest rock band and guitar hero games cannot access his purchased songs without being online.

I can't access the king in castle crashers without being online.

You can't even play XBL arcade games without being online.

Catch my drift?  

nitnit
Captain

Bayou Bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 pm
Whoops I forgot somthing!

Most PS3 games use dedicated servers for their online support, whereas Xbox uses P2P (Player to Player)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 am
Kakashi Lord of Lightning
Xbox uses P2P (Player to Player)

Actually that is not true. Microsoft has its own dedicated servers as well. Thats why there is a monthly fee on LIVE to maintain good maintence for any LIVE user., but when you play games made by EA you access EA's personal gaming servers.

nitnit
My friend also has the latest rock band and guitar hero games cannot access his purchased songs without being online.

I can't access the king in castle crashers without being online.

You can't even play XBL arcade games without being online.

Catch my drift?

I think that is a little odd. I can play my recent XBLA games i have purhcased offline. The ones i cant have the DRM issue because i have downloaded them from my 1st console.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces