Submit

Lord-LoafWarden

6,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:31 pm
=D Hello, this is my first post! ^^

Q: Do you Believe in a soul mate? (Immerged around 423-348bc *Greeks*)

A: No, I treat the "Soul Mate Theory" as a UFO. I would have to see it to believe it. If true, one person on this planet could provide fulfillment for me.... =0 Plus, what if my soul mate was in Africa?
-N0UserName  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 am

To support the idea of "soul mates" in the typical meaning of the phrase, first somebody would have to prove souls exist for starters.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

bluecherry
Vice Captain

Iudicious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:19 pm
If by soulmate, you mean a "destined" lover, then no. That is the way I've always heard it used, and I apologize if I'm wrong and going off on something completely different.

Let me express to you what love means to me: Love is the emotion one gains, one of joy, from seeing the values one holds to be true represented in someone else.

This means that love is a conscious choice. To love, you must first know what you love. You must first know the values, the things that make you happy, that you hold. To have values, one must make a conscious choice and decide what they hold as important in their life, or else one must default on the decisions of others and rely on the "values" of a faceless mass known as society.

When one loves someone else, they see someone who has made the same choices as they have in values. Nothing else is love to me, and as such, soul mates are not a possibility to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:35 pm
Disillusionment tells me no.

Something else tells me it's only what you make of it. You could find your soul mate in a plant, and to extension, scientific fields like botany and s**t like that. Whatever. Just something in your life that affects you so, uplifts you so, so so...whatever.

You never know.

Milleia

Enduring Evader

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 am
Iudicious
If by soulmate, you mean a "destined" lover, then no. That is the way I've always heard it used, and I apologize if I'm wrong and going off on something completely different.

Let me express to you what love means to me: Love is the emotion one gains, one of joy, from seeing the values one holds to be true represented in someone else.

This means that love is a conscious choice. To love, you must first know what you love. You must first know the values, the things that make you happy, that you hold. To have values, one must make a conscious choice and decide what they hold as important in their life, or else one must default on the decisions of others and rely on the "values" of a faceless mass known as society.

When one loves someone else, they see someone who has made the same choices as they have in values. Nothing else is love to me, and as such, soul mates are not a possibility to me.

If I recall correctly, this idea of a "destined" lover is even more bogus when you look at where it comes from. Why would people have specific destined lovers? As I've said, if I recall correctly, what I've heard is the idea of "soul mates" came from some idea of before birth having souls be split in two and that your "soul mate" is the other half of that soul.

I think in a way there is something reasonable to where people get the idea of this "destined lovers" or "perfect compatible match" sort of thing, but it is something they have greatly misinterpreted. Having common interests, values, hobbies and the like will reasonably lead people to many of the same places and often to notice each other so that many cases that look so incredibly unlikely actually were quite likely to happen due to not destiny but logical consequences of the exercise of their volition. Their very rightness for each other, the values they share and seek, is in fact what would set them on a common course to find each other. Now some cases where things still look so freakishly unlikely but they still happened, just think of how many times it may be that other freakishly unlikely things DIDN'T happen and you may have missed out on people very good for you and this is just you now noticing the one time it DID happen. Thus I don't think it is necessary to worry so much about who you need possibly ending up never coming to your attention because if they don't come to your attention they probably don't have as much in common with you as you would want anyway (assuming you are a person with values who actually goes out and pursues them to be able to find other people who pursues values and not just sitting around playing at being a hermit and secluding yourself from the world.)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 pm
I would love to believe my soulmate lived next door, but I think searching for soulmates is a useless task and a waste of time. it is like trying to find that one last piece to the puzzle that the people half way around the world that manufactured it forgot to put in the box. no one clicks perfect.  

RobX2000

Profitable Conversationalist

7,400 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

andreironhammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 am
RobX2000
I would love to believe my soulmate lived next door, but I think searching for soulmates is a useless task and a waste of time. it is like trying to find that one last piece to the puzzle that the people half way around the world that manufactured it forgot to put in the box. no one clicks perfect.

i believe in luck and a "soul mate" to me is someone who will stay with me in a lasting relationship and can make me happy until the very day that I die. And IF I do have a soul when they die before me I could care less if I live.  
51: Philosophy.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games