Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I WANT TO BELIEVE
  (that movie sucked)
View Results

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:02 pm
There are many odd things the church does but I was thinking the other day and somehow came to this train of logic.

God creates the universe in the beginning of the bible.
There are no dinosaurs in the bible.
Does that mean that catholics(and other religions that follow the bible) don't believe in dinosaurs?

It's such a simple question but when I was really thinking about it I got curious. I'm not a religious person so I asked my mom since she went to catholic schools and she said that they taught evolution in her school so she never thought anything about it.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:26 am
It's awkward, really. I don't understand why evolution is suych a problem since in theory it in no way goes aginst the concept of God as a creator - if anything it's an indication of God as giving more freedom to his creations, or it's a demonstration of the gradual nature of creation.
I mean, the way I see if I was that way inclined is that the whole making teh earth in 6 days = 6 of God's concept of days, which could span billions of years.

Besides, dinosaurs could ahve been in teh garden of Eden. It doesn't say they weren't there, it just doesn't mention them. I think people are more influenced by the little illustrations in their children's picture books of the bible they were brought up with rather than the actual text at times.  

dragontamer363
Crew

Andy _1134

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:49 am
Dinosuars are mentioned in the bible but not as dinosuars they are called Behemoths. I think thats what the word was. The religous community really do nothing but follow what the leaders say. So back when science wasent as popular as now. We thought the sun revolved around us, took us a while to figure out that we revolve around it. Same with the dinosuars ask any hard head religounis and they'd probably tell you, Dinosuars, god put them in the ground to test our faith. No god put them there to prove to us that we arnt the only generation of creatures on this planet. that billions of years ago there was life. God put them there to prove how long time is to him reletive to us.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:05 am
Hm..wow. I really like reading everyone's posts and it's interesting. ^_^
I never thought that dinosaurs weren't mention in the bible but I'm not so familiar with it to say. I remember when I was younger I had this religious cartoon video about the first story which was adam and eve. While the old man was talking to the kids about the creation it was a flash back to the past so you can see it too. In the part where he mentioned god creating animals they showed dinosaurs and birds ect... So I always thought it was a believe that dinosaurs did exist. The only argument for some Christians is with evolution. ^_^

@Andy
When you said "The religous community really do nothing but follow what the leaders say." I completely agree with you! ^_^

@DT
Interesting!! heart

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Death Shikaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 am
That is interesting. But I've never read the Bible and probably never will. I'm not a religious kind of guy.
I do believe that there were once dinosaurs, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 pm
According to my aunt, there are dinosaur-like things in the Bible. She thinks that those might be it, just named something else instead of T-Rex.  

Wyvern683

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm
Death Shikaku
That is interesting. But I've never read the Bible and probably never will. I'm not a religious kind of guy.
I do believe that there were once dinosaurs, though.

Haha, no i've never managed to read it either. Then again, I've never read the Dhammapada all the way through either. All religious texts are written in such a stilted and repetitive manner that they're almost impossible to enjoy, unfortunately. I'd love to actually sit down and read the bible - so many of my stories revolve around it's 'mythology' as bases for characters and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:51 pm
I've honestly never read the bible either. It was just a random thought I had the other day.
I do believe that dinosaurs did exist. I never knew there were "behemoths" mentioned in the bible.

My friend and I joked that Adam and Eve were really dinosaurs.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:20 pm
I haven't read it either...which means..non of us really read it. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:32 pm
Haha, we're all SO QUALIFIED to answer this question. rofl  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Andy _1134

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm
Lol I havent read it either. But it gota be easier the reading the Kuran.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:13 pm
hm.. i kind of read the bible and based from what i've read i think it mentions dinosaurs as animals .. to think of it really.. its only during the later times that the "word/name" dinosaur was developed and used.. maybe the bible considers it as an animal too.. smile  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:18 am
Zizzykitty
Haha, we're all SO QUALIFIED to answer this question. rofl

LOL! Took the words out of my mouth. XD!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am
This reminds me of when my science teacher in middle school told a student to "Find the word 'dinosaur' in the Bible!"

Zizzykitty
I've honestly never read the bible either. It was just a random thought I had the other day.
I do believe that dinosaurs did exist. I never knew there were "behemoths" mentioned in the bible.

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron.
19 He [is] the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his
sword to approach [unto him].
20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
22 The shady trees cover him [with] their shadow; the willows of the brook
compass him about.
23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, [and] hasteth not: he trusteth that he
can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24 He taketh it with his eyes: [his] nose pierceth through snares.

(Job 40:15-24)

There was a discussion about this at my old church a long time ago.  

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 pm
Okay, that makes some sense then.

Thanks, Dornkus. Your powers of research never fail us.  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games