Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Text-Talk Translation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think translating text and leet speak is a good idea?
  Yes!
  Not really.
  wtf? r u kddin meh? i unrstnd txt tlk gud!
  Translators are better than potatoes!
  Potatoes are better.
View Results

Bruce of House Banner

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 pm
I recently made a shop devoted to grammar and translation of 'leet speak', 'text talk', and at least two different languages, because I noticed that no one has ever really done something like this. I thought this would help a lot of grammar-inclined Gaians, so I am looking for some feedback.

Any thoughts, praise/ridicule, or whatever else comes to your mind are most welcome.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 pm
I like it just for the fact that it demonstrates that people's txt talk is ridiculous and an interpreter may be necessary for sane people to understand WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. XD  

Quatrina

BlackRoseWhiteSoul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 pm
Good idea. Some txt messages are confusing. It's just that not every one will ahve time to log in on gaia and ask for your wonderful advice. That's the only set back, unless they realy want to know what it says.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:56 am
Yeah, my friends get after me for writing proper English in my text messages even though I don't have a QWERTY keyboard. If I make a mistake, I get all OCD about it and have to fix it before I send it. I just can't believe people enjoy straying from the English language for numbers.  

Princess Tessa of Sailand

Melantha007

8,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:49 am
I almost never use text talk, except for things like "lol" or "brb" or a few of the little emoticons. What is the purpose of using numbers to substitute for letters? Do people think it's cool that they don't know how to properly spell words anymore? Even my classmates who graduated with me have started using this "leet" language, and I'm turning 26 next week!

It's so annoying to open a text or an email and have half of the text in numbers. Can we please get back to proper English (or whatever language you normally use to speak with)? Is that really too much to ask, that numbers be deleted from the written word?

I may be dating myself here (even among my peers), but I wish we could all go back to when a good book was all you needed to have a good time, not the shoot-em-up video games that everyone is hooked on nowadays.

Edit: Sorry for the ranting. It just gets my goat (I was on the spelling team at school for five years, and both my parents are of a generation [or three!] older than my agemates) to see people purposely misspell words.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games