Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold
  for poll whores.
View Results

the_underworks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:50 pm
okay... it has been 6 weeks since i have seen the sun... and now it it looks abnormal.
I am not some sort of hermit or something like that, i just happen to be a miner who has spent the last 6 weeks working 12 hour shifts 1 mile underground.

My question to you is; do humans need light in order to maintain health?

Beacause due to my job, I start at 6 am and finish at 6 pm... all i have time to do is get a glimpse of dusk and dawn. Now i have taken vacation and i am one week off and jesus christ, i cant even drive on cloudy days without sunglasses (which i never used to wear). I feel like I'm tinring into a vampire LOL.

So if you have any information on the topic well please share. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm
Vitamin D-3 (I have no clue how to do subscript). That's the only health benefit I can think of when it comes to sunlight if you don't go into temperatures and edible plants.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:38 am
Nope. biggrin

You could stay underground your entire life and as long as you got the proper nutrients through food delivery or something, you'd be fine.*

*statements not evaluated by the FDA or the HC, so don't go by me and end up killing yourself if I'm wrong

I do have a tiny inkling of an idea of what you mean by how you can't drive on a cloudy day without sunglasses though. There are days when I happen to be in a dark environment for a while, and when I come out, the daylight is blinding for 5 or so minutes. It must be crazy to experience that for hours. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am
I can imagine. I am always wearing sunblock on my face, and because I have very light blue eyes, whenever I go out walking or anything, the sun kills my eyes. (same with my mom, she is always wearing sunglasses... we both have very delicate eyes) And since I have glasses, sunglasses are not an option (and we currently do not have enough money for subscription sunglasses). Same whenever we are in the car, I always have to have the sunviser down.... (also why I own two parasols)  

Angel of the End

the_underworks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:42 pm
Angel of the End
I can imagine. I am always wearing sunblock on my face, and because I have very light blue eyes, whenever I go out walking or anything, the sun kills my eyes. (same with my mom, she is always wearing sunglasses... we both have very delicate eyes) And since I have glasses, sunglasses are not an option (and we currently do not have enough money for subscription sunglasses). Same whenever we are in the car, I always have to have the sunviser down.... (also why I own two parasols)
surprised Pale blue eyes... reminds me of someone.

But yeah... ever since I started mining, my eyes have changed from a shitty shade of greenish brown to pale redish green. As you might guess, i also have the killer tan of a zombie XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 am
the_underworks
Angel of the End
surprised Pale blue eyes... reminds me of someone.

But yeah... ever since I started mining, my eyes have changed from a shitty shade of greenish brown to pale redish green. As you might guess, i also have the killer tan of a zombie XD
Me?

xd

No but really, I carry sunglasses with me everywhere. I have 2 pairs of heavily tinted aviators and one pair with that shiny mirror like reflective coating on it. They work great. I just have to be careful about taking them off because in certain places because if you misjudge the light, it really hits you.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Gypsie Punk II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:35 pm
Well, staying OUT of the sun doesn't cause you any harm. In fact, I think the only thing that'll happen is you'll become more able to see in the dark, and your skin will become the faintest white/pink there is! No matter what you were before xD

However, if you stay IN the sun for too long, you'll probably get skin cancer D;  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:41 pm
My mom yells at me when i don't go in the sun for a really long time cause she said that you can get sick if you don't go in the sun cause it gives you skin the nutrition that it needs,
but i don't listen and i am just fine...most the time
i did realize that i stay more healthy when i go in the sun
so what i do is i go to the beach just a few times a year or just go play with my dog outside for like an hour every month just to keep a little sun on me and i am usually fine  

Missunderstood soul

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:13 pm
A lot of it depends on the person. Almost everyone in my family has pale skin and blue eyes, so we don't tend to like bright light or the sun. Especially for those of us who also have wider eyes. It doesn't help that we tend to paint our walls in darker colors and keep the lighting fairly dim, so we've adjusted to low levels of light.

You do need SOME sunlight, but not much. Usually, the more sensitive to sunlight naturally, the less you should be exposed to. Going outside almost exclusively when you need to (For work, school, and errands) should be fine.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm
-starts singing-
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine~  

Angel of the End

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:48 pm
I try to only go out at night,but, kinda had no choice. Hooray for anti-tans. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 am
last time i checked the facts....

the bare minimum exposure necessary for proper health was 15min in the sunlight, or 5 to ten minutes under a uv lamp (depending on skintype and sensitivity) daily. Of course, proper nutrition is a must (eat those vitamin pills kids) because eye sensitivity is due to a lack of certain nutrients your eyes need to function properly. wrap around sunglasses may be the dorkiest looking things on the face of the planet, but they offer the best protection from damaging rays...

just a few random facts brought to you from the old fart in the broken down house on the hill.....back to your regular scheduled program....  

Keevan Draco

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:01 pm
You'll be missing out on Vitamin D, because your body naturally uses sunlight to convert into the stuff.

So, unless you can get 10-15 minutes of sunlight a day, start taking vitamin D pills to supplement what you don't have. XD

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games