Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Where did the green man come from?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 pm
Okay, so lately I've been looking up Sun Goddesses such as Sol, Sunna, and others as well as Moon Gods such as Mani and etc.

And even though I would like to know more about them, I've run across this guy before in the past. But never actually figured who or what he is.

Everytime I try to look him up, I get this fluffy bunny crap that I don't even know where to begin to sort.

Green Man

All words are thanked and appreciated in advanced.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm
Wikipedia actually has a great article on this with sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_man

To summarize, Green Man really isn't a deity, but a loosely-related piece of artwork symbolizing natural deities or just plain nature. Neo-pagan practice tries to pin it to Cernunnos the most, as far as i've seen, but it's not even really inherently tied to Cernunnos.  

Nattfodd

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:37 pm
I actually tend to think of the Green Man as a nature spirit, rather than some sort of deity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:00 pm
The Green Man is a big focus when it comes to druidry, methinks. He isn't a deity per se, but rather the personification of the Earth itself. His counterpart/another aspect is the Green Woman, who embodies the idea of Mother Earth. I think the origin is Celtic. But the Green Man is more famous in artworks such as [door] knockers and the like. He's also hidden in some paintings as faces on trees or in the grass or something like that.  

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm
There's an entire book that traces the green man archetype... I checked it out a few years ago but I can't remember the title. Let's see if I can find it for you real quick.

I think it was this particular book, but if you do a search on amazon, there are several others out there as well. The one by John Matthews here is probably good, as he has some excellent folklore-oriented books, one of which has one awards.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games