Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Working Name or Craft Name?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:56 am
Now as I have been dwelling into more research into Green Witchcraft I have come across the two ways of taking a personal and private name for a witch's self but, I am not sure what the slight differences.
I have heard and read "Working name" and "Craft name".
Now, I am unsure what the difference between these two names are.
Or if there is even a differnce at all.
If anyone could enlighten me a bit on the difference of no difference at off those these two names.
I would be delighted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 am
iHecate
Now as I have been dwelling into more research into Green Witchcraft I have come across the two ways of taking a personal and private name for a witch's self but, I am not sure what the slight differences.
If anyone could enlighten me a bit on the difference of no difference at off those these two names.
I would be delighted.

It's sort of the same thing. A Working name is a name you use when doing magical workings; a Craft name is a name given to you (or perhaps chosen for yourself), that is given to you to use between you and the Gods, and for Wiccans during coven rites. The idea behind them is that you're creating for yourself an name that is used only for magical and ritual purposes; it is designed to help you leave mundane space.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:47 pm
Morgandria
iHecate
I would be delighted.

It's sort of the same thing. A Working name is a name you use when doing magical workings; a Craft name is a name given to you (or perhaps chosen for yourself), that is given to you to use between you and the Gods, and for Wiccans during coven rites. The idea behind them is that you're creating for yourself an name that is used only for magical and ritual purposes; it is designed to help you leave mundane space.

See thats what I thought but, I have been reading so much stuff and taking it in that its all started to mold together.
Because I grew up without the fancy names for these things.
I was always told their is a personal and private name for you between you and he Deities, thats not for anyone else to hear. As well as a name that other witch's may hear when working with a group or in a coven.
>__<
And your working name is something personal and private correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm
iHecate
Morgandria
iHecate
I would be delighted.

See thats what I thought but, I have been reading so much stuff and taking it in that its all started to mold together.
>__<
And your working name is something personal and private correct? Or well thats what I was told.

It can be. I have a number of names; some of them are public, others only known to certain others, some only between myself and the Gods. I personally did not have any name before I joined my coven; I was given my Craft names by my priesthood.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:53 pm
Morgandria
iHecate
Morgandria
iHecate
I would be delighted.

>__<
And your working name is something personal and private correct? Or well thats what I was told.

It can be. I have a number of names; some of them are public, others only known to certain others, some only between myself and the Gods. I personally did not have any name before I joined my coven; I was given my Craft names by my priesthood.

See I read about that as well, some witch's have several craft names... depending on what you are doing correct?
Oh thats wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:41 pm
iHecate
[
See I read about that as well, some witch's have several craft names... depending on what you are doing correct?
Oh thats wonderful.

In some cases. Mine it's more who I am with - initiates or non-initiates - rather than what we're doing. Some people do have names that are more pantheon-specific, and may be more appropriate in some rituals than others.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 pm
Morgandria
iHecate
[
Oh thats wonderful.

In some cases. Mine it's more who I am with - initiates or non-initiates - rather than what we're doing. Some people do have names that are more pantheon-specific, and may be more appropriate in some rituals than others.

Hmmm I see.
Thank you.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games