Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
Twilight Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What team are you
Team Edward
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Team Jacob
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

sweet twilight fan

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 am
Lhia_Dunwaith
Sorry, but I'm not a fan. Because I don't feel like going into a huge rant, I'll just leave these points of my opinion:

1. Most of the main characters have bland personalities, if they have a personality at all. Since the actions of a book are supposed to be based on the thoughts and instincts of the characters, this makes the book's plot weak and extremely forced at best.

2. Bella is a terrible role model for the millions of teen and tween girls reading the books.

3. The movie is every bit as terrible as what I call the Eragon Debacle of 2007.

I understand what you mean and I'm fine with it as long as you gave the book a chance...but, for number 2, you said that because of New Moon right, well, technically she's not that bad of a role model because Edward broke with her SO she wasn't cheating on him.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 am
x--stevee--x
honestly i dont think they books are as well written as they probably could've been, but i did enjoy the movie. kristen stewart as bella wasnt believable for me, i didnt feel for her or care about her character. the other actors i think did an amazing job with their characters and i really felt like i was getting to know them in a way. overall i think they did a really job improving on the book and making it enjoyable.
just for the record i'm on team jacob! blaugh

... sweatdrop um the thing is that the movie CUT sooo much stuff out of the book the movie sucked but, I do agree with you about Bella and how she was played  

sweet twilight fan

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

sweet twilight fan

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:42 am
Sita Harker
User ImageNew Moon comes out in November, right?

I wish I found Robert Pattinson or Bella attractive. They came out with a magazine full of posters. If only they made a werewolf/villain issue!
User Image

November 11, 20909 and Eclipse comes out in Jue 2010!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:59 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
How does it feel to be a puppet on my string?

Ok, I was reading book one, and Edward is speeding. My friend says he can hear other drivers' thoughts, so he'll be able to swerve to avoid accidents, cuz he's a vampire.

But, even if he's a vampire, the car isn't (and thus cannot move as fast as him). And you can't hear a tree/lamppost's thoughts. So: isn't Edward a rather irresponsible driver? I mean, considering Bella was in the car?

User Image
I am hollow... and I will live forever

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm
User Image

Well I saw the new moon movie and thought it was good.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:19 pm
Oh I get to vent my feelings about Twilight. I'll try not to make it a long rant.

-The books are alright (not the best,but alright), my favorite one is New Moon because we get to see her relationship with Jacob develop, and Jacob is one of my favorite characters. I hate Breaking Dawn though. I can't stand it. I love reading, and I never quit reading a book in the middle of it. But I had to with Breaking Dawn-it was just horribly written. Except for the part from Jacob's POV-that was my favorite part of what I read.

-I will say it now. I am neither Team Jacob or Team Edward. I am Team Switzerland. I don't really care either way which person she chose, but if you make me choose a team, I will usually tend towards Jacob. Also, with the books, I am hardcore Switzerland, but with the movies, they make me more Jacob, though I still retain neutrality (gees, it makes it sound like there's a war going one).

-The movie version of Twilight was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen when compared to the book besides Eragon. Twilight was horrible and I hope I never have to watch it again. Kristen Stewart is also probably one of the worst actresses I've seen in awhile. She's horrible at playing Bella. They should have chosen someone better.

-The movie version of New Moon was better than Twilight, and I think that's because they had a new director. He stuck closer to the book which made me happy I suppose. But New Moon was still not very good plot wise.

-Like I said above, the books are alright, but not the best. The way Meyer wrote Bella seems very stereotypical of women-that they are helpless and can't do anything for themselves. And also how Bella can't live without Edward and she'll do anything for him and she clings to him like velcro, but he is still all cold and rigid to her, even after he comes back to her at the end of New Moon. You would think that almost losing the love of his life would change how he acted around Bella and he would stick to her more, but no, he was still rigid and cold around her. Also, Bella would start crying or pretty much get down on her knees and beg him not to leave. I mean, come on! Who does that anymore? Maybe they did that centuries ago when the only purpose for females was to serve their husband, raise the kids, and have kids. And last time I checked, we lived in the 21st century. Then there's how she treats Jacob. In the book, it was portrayed fine, like she actually enjoyed being around him and it wasn't just to take her mind off Edward. But in the movie, that's what it seems like-she hangs around Jake just to keep her mind off Edward. And in my opinon, that is extremely selfish of her, and it doesn't help that she's leading him on, too. But I will give her a little bit of credit for being honest with him about how she was selfish and that she'll choose Edward. But still, The Twilight Saga is very stereotypical of women.

-I also don't like how all these girls are obsessing over it and they think it's the best thing in the world. Half of them (at least the ones I know) only like it because Robert Pattinson is hot, and they never would have read it if not for the movies. See, when I read it, it was back when people would call you a dork for reading a book about a vampire, and then it got turned into this huge franchise with all these fangirls and their obsession over it just killed it.

-This should be my last point. I hate it when people compare Twilight to Harry Potter. They are NOTHING alike! It's vampires and wizards. They're not even remotely similar. Apparently, they think they can compare them because they are both fantasy and have similar fan bases, but you can't. I mean, their plot lines aren't even close to being alike. And trust me, I'm a huge Harry Potter nerd, so I would know. It just really bugs me because you can't compare them.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:49 pm
User Image
It might be because I've been emotional about a boy recently, but I... thought Kristen Stewart did good! I mean, even though I hate how her character acts, I FELT her pain. I felt sorry for her. Everytime she said "Dear Alice" I felt a little choked up (much to my humiliation). I can only suppose this is because she is a good actress - if I had read the (beep) she said/did, I woulda been like, "Yeah right, get over it, you're so stupid" but in the movie she made it seem believable.

Also, I just loved HOW the movie was made. Perhaps it is called cinematography. Like the scene in the armchair to show passing time. That was great. Or the fact that the werewolves looked like werewolves, not huge chihuahuas.

Dislikes:
She chose Edward over Jacob???
Alice's hair was un-cute till the last scene
Jacob cut his hair.... the long hair may have looked stupid in the first movie but he looked good in New Moon crying
If I never see Robert Pattinson shirtless again it will be too soon -_-

"The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding--which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together--blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . . "
— Lemony Snicket (The Penultimate Peril)

dead threads - do not post

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff