Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is 'alright' all right?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jerba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm
I don't know what your personal opinions might be, but I believe 'alright' is not an officially accepted word. I know spellcheck accepts it, but it isn't yet part of the official English language.

'Alright' is used by many people. I, naturally, never used it. I find 'all right' to be a perfectly acceptable term for all situations.

All right, let's go.
Alright, let's go.

See? I don't like the look of the second one. I play The Legend of Zelda, and I noticed that, in casual conversation, Midna, one of the main characters, says 'all right'. She never says 'alright', even though she speaks casually/sloppily all the time.

I don't think 'alright' should be a word, anyway. It's too confusing to put it in the right context. There are many cases where it isn't acceptable.

The boat tipped over, but they were all right.
The boat tipped over, but they were alright.

The kids are all right.
The kids are alright.

Isn't it too confusing? I don't think 'alright' should be/become a real word.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm
Oh, hello there, internets!

According to Diana Hacker, "alright" is not all right. It's not even a real word!

So, you're absolutely right.

biggrin

I did not see you there.

Vodou von Prettypants

iesl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 am
I say, "all right", but this general rule got me wondering; what about "altogether" versus "all together"?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:26 am
iesl
I say, "all right", but this general rule got me wondering; what about "altogether" versus "all together"?

The latter pair differ semantically: "altogether" refers to something ocurring in its entirely, whereas "all together" refers to a number of separate objects (or people) performing some action in synchronicity.  

Farthingale

7,575 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 am
I use both forms under different conditions. Like...

"Alright, let's go!"

"They are all right."  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am
Eh, you're one-hundred-percent right it seems, though there are those few words that might bypass all that is grammatically correct because it's used in everyday use, like this one. (I tend to say "alright" almost all the time. 3nodding )

And then again, following this wouldn't the word "almost" be grammatically wrong too or no? eek  

Swell Sundae

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 am
I agree. It's kind of odd looking.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm
I use both forms as well. I believe that the use of the word "alright" is perfectly alright when used sparingly. (Yes, the irony was intended.)
Of course, it depends on your definition of "official English", but I believe some dictionaries contain the term.  

Cthulhu Eating Ye

Farrago

Proxy Codger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 pm
It depends on the situation, but I use both terms. For example, I am talking to my family and they are arguing. I say, "You are all right," to make peace, as in, 'all of you are right'. I am asked how I have been. I say, "I'm alright." Like I said, it just depends on the situation.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games