Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
help! turtle found in backyard...dogss..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-MaliciousMinty-

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 pm
My uncle found a turtle in this backyard heart
but he has some big dogs and well...
they chewd up his shell!
so now from wat i can see he was 3 holes in his shell.
and my mom wants tew put it in a pond
but i really wanna help it,
ive never raised a turtle b4 so i dunno anything
and will the shell grow back??
will it be ok?????
i dont see any holes n de skin.
my mom dont wanna pay for a vet

this is wat he looks like

User Image

i dunno if u can really see the holes  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 pm
It should grow back, but it'll take a long time and probably won't look normal.
If he found it in his backyard, it'll probably just run away to be honest.

He's cute, though.

Sarahmooo
Captain

JunkieRunningDry

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 pm
haha I found one of those turtles once while I was skatin around and i put him in my pocket, then he fell into the lap of luxury eating as many strawberries n fruits as he pleased till he was super spoiled, I let him roam free in my house and one day I guess he decided to go ha it was weird, sorta like one of those guys that crashes at your house sometimes? maybe haha j/kin'  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:44 am
JunkieRunningDry
haha I found one of those turtles once while I was skatin around and i put him in my pocket, then he fell into the lap of luxury eating as many strawberries n fruits as he pleased till he was super spoiled, I let him roam free in my house and one day I guess he decided to go ha it was weird, sorta like one of those guys that crashes at your house sometimes? maybe haha j/kin'

Aw, how cute :3

Sarahmooo
Captain

Ryuna_08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:09 pm
thats not a box turtle its a red ear slider, i used to have two. reptiles are alot of work. if you dont have any money i recoemnd finding a new home (not letting it go) but heres some care sheets
and a good forum to join
http://www.thereptilerack.com/ join this forum very good can help u find good, cheap ways to care for it.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

i would do ur research before you decide to keep him or not.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 am
May just be my point of view, but he is a wild animal, if he is well enough to do what any other turtle can do I would let him go in a safe place, away from dogs and the like. They have things they need to do in the wild to help keep this world spinning...until the human species destories the plante completely.  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05 am
Mistress of Rain
May just be my point of view, but he is a wild animal, if he is well enough to do what any other turtle can do I would let him go in a safe place, away from dogs and the like. They have things they need to do in the wild to help keep this world spinning...until the human species destories the plante completely.

In just about any other situation, I would agree with you.

However, I think the reason Ryuna recommended he find it a home or keep it is that RES is an invasive species. I couldn't honestly tell you where it's actually native (and we don't know Black_Ice's location to determine that), but Red-Eared Sliders (if that is, indeed, what this turtle is) are a hardy invasive species. I know they're trouble in the Midwest, and I think they're even a problem in Oregon.

My recommendation to Black_ice would be to try getting a positive ID on the turtle... Check to make sure it's native to your area... And proceed from there. If it's a native of your area, release it to an area away from human activity. If it's a non-native turtle, however, you should try finding a suitable home or contact a wildlife rehab center. Maybe contact the wildlife rehab center, anyway, if the shell damage seems like a genuine problem.

FWIW, I came across this turtle forum while researching tortoises. Seems to be a good one. http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 am
I'm not sure if the turtle will be OK or not but I'm glad you want to take care of it. biggrin  

lucariopokemonsonic

4,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items