Distinct Hunter

5,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Informer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:24 am
Garek Maxwell
Alexander Fawxe Jace
very well stated only that argument has been made and that idea tried and guess what? it doesn't work, boycotting the oil companies hasn't worked and neither has boycotting meats and poultry

Mass scale Boycotting doesn't work when 5 or 6 people do it, yes. That much is obvious. However, the reverse is just as much true. Oil companies can't profit when only 6 people purchase their oil.

Boycotting has worked in the past as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott

http://www.newsweek.com/id/126334
sorry have been having issues with some stuff IRL

I love how your newsweek article you linked to says "Do boycots work? Not often."  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 pm
Alexander Fawxe Jace
I love how your newsweek article you linked to says "Do boycots work? Not often."

Not often is more than "never works".

In addition, changes in buying habits can be a form of boycotting. ( "I'm not going to buy that, I've had problems with that company in the past!" or "Haven't you heard? That company produces poor quality goods!")

If "Unsafe At Any Speed" never came out, along with word of mouth on quality, then foreign cars from Japan, Germany, and elsewhere wouldn't have overtaken the market.

So you don't have to go out with picket signs to boycott. You can do something as simple as inform others to not buy something because it's either bad, not worth your money, overly expensive to alternatives, or inferior to a higher quality version. In this respect, it's very successful and happens all the time. I see it happen all the time.  

Garek Maxwell

Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces