Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
The yawn -- more than just an explained body function?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:51 am
The other day there was a terrible storm. Thunder, lightning, hail, the whole nine yards.

I went to my room, shut myself in the closet and sat down. I calmed down and meditated for a brief moment. There's a mirror on the inside of the door, and if I looked hard enough I could see my outline in a pitch black closet.

I began to focus on the storm. Processed through my mind that storms are caused by an imbalance in nature, and sent out my energy to balance it again.

At that moment a huge yawn came out of nowhere, and right after I yawned the storm immediately stopped.

The yawn -- more than just an unexplained body function?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:16 am
It sounds more like a coincidence to me.
We yawn when our brains need more oxygen. I don't see how that relates to a storm in any way.  

Miss_Spell

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:23 pm
Maybe a subconscious effort to regain energy. You expended some to quiet the storm, and maybe the yawn was an effort to get some back.

Now, why were you doing this in the first place? Storms are kind of there for a reason. Unless someone started it unnaturaly, it's not exactly the best idea to mess around with them.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:21 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Now, why were you doing this in the first place? Storms are kind of there for a reason. Unless someone started it unnaturaly, it's not exactly the best idea to mess around with them.

That would be my question. Storms are actually an excellent time to be practicing magick, as the energies int he storm connect with various elements. They're one of those "special" times, like noon and midnight, full/new moons, and the Sabbats. Thunder storms are great for connecting with the element of fire and encorperating it into your spell/ritual, rain is great for water, and high winds for air. Rather than trying to quiet it, ride the storm out and get it to do something for you, regardless of how nervous it may make you.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:31 pm
Yes, the yawn is when the brain needs more oxygen. But that doesn't explain why we yawn when we actually do. Why don't you yawn after running a 1600m race? Why do you yawn when you're tired and breathing heavily? You see?

Also, I understand the thing about the storms, but one of my family members was out and I always worry with storms and family members being out, so I wanted to do whatever I could to ensure their safety.

Sorry it took so long, haven't been online much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:32 pm
I suggest doing some research on the yawning phenomena. I know it has been studied but I have not read anything recent... and the whole oxygen thing might just be a passed-around scientific fallacy (there are an awful lot of those).  

Starlock
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces