Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
[GUIDE] My research

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like it?
  Yes!
  NO!
  Just STFU and gimmie the damn gold D<
View Results

Pebble in my shoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:50 am
Hi, I'm Eve as...well...none of you know...well...yeah none of you really know that.

I've just decided to become Wiccan and I do thirst for knowelege, and although my Research is very...not...a lot...right now, I'm working on it

My research on Wicca

I have been working on this pretty hard over the past few weeks, the sources are on the very first post. Tell me what you think about it, critisism is good biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 am
The main thing to remember is that what is described in most books (and on those sites that you sourced) is not actually what Wicca is. Traditional Wicca is a specific pagan religion, that has specific core beliefs and practices. It is an orthopraxic, mystery religion, that is oath bound and requires coven initiation (usually man to woman, woman to man). It has specific deities (in this case the Lord and Lady of the Isles) and is fertility centered - not earth/nature centered.

Most of the general information that can be found on "Wicca" is at best based loosely on outer-court (non-oathbound Wiccan practices) and more often than not is simply eclectic neo-pagan practices that someone has added the word "Wicca" to, because they were looking to make a quick buck or two. ("Wicca" sells and especially in the case of Llewellyn Publishing - they will slap the "Wicca" on whatever they can, with absolutely no thought to historical correctness or ethical considerations). This doesn't mean that what you've been researching and/or practicing isn't valid or meaningful. It just isn't actually Wicca.

The Wicca FAQ thread is a great place to start (if you haven't checked it out already). It's a little "direct and to the point", but otherwise, it is well researched and sourced.

If you are serious in pursuing Wicca...

You should read Gardners books:
Witchcraft Today by Gerald Gardner
The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald Gardner

The following sites are good as well:

Wicca For The Rest Of Us - their definition of Wicca is a bit wonky, but otherwise good info to start with.

TradWicca.org

Wicca 101

The next 2 are yahoo groups, but both have excellent archives, that are well worth reading through when you have the chance.

Amber & Jet

Beginning Wicca  

ncsweet
Crew

Pebble in my shoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm
Oh I totally understand that, don't get me wrong. But you also have to understand that I'm not actually Wiccan YET, nor am I of legal age, so I can't really...do...anything Wicca related except research what it's about. I'm not quite done with it yet though, as I stated earlier. Thanks for the sites though, I'll use them biggrin .  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games