Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Nintendo Gaming
What nindendo really needs to do! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What should Nintendo do?
  Port Mother 3
  Stop this "family friendly" crap
  Have more online play like the Conduit
  Make Kirby Wii
  Make Starfox Wii
  Make F-Zero Wii
  Make more rated "M" games
  All of the above
View Results

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:34 am
Joker Abron
nitnit
Puflwiz
nitnit
I understand what you're saying, I guess the real point I was trying to make is that it's a bit too late for Nintendo to try to get "hardcore" gamers to buy their system.

You have to understand video gaming from the perspective of the average American. News stations are constantly putting out reports about how kids are addicted to them and are suffering (it's really just escapism but that's a different topic) - and to the completely average joe, "Gamer" is pretty much a derogatory term. As for the parents who aren't so much afraid of their kids being addicted, they see an equal number of reports about how there is too much sex and violence in video games, and how it's causing kids to be violent (more BS, but again, that's a different topic)

Nintendo realized that these people are seeing all of this stuff, and noticed that they actually have the most money. By presenting this image of the Wii as something everyone can have fun at a party with, as an exercise machine for parents afraid their kids aren't getting enough (lol), and as an extremely family friendly system, they got the full attention of the average american, no one who wasn't "hardcore" could really complain about it.

Fast forward to now. Everyone who plays "real" modern games plays them on the PC, the 360, the DS, or the PS3. Most of us avoided a Wii (unfortunately not me lololol), and after seeing the relatively lackluster lineup, it'd make little sense for us to pick one up. Nintendo realizes this I'm sure, and the failure that was The Conduit (extremely heavy marketing as the Wii's first real FPS, very average sales) has shown them that if they want to tap into the market that Microsoft is catering to, they need to wait until next gen.

On the flipside however, Microsoft is trying very damn hard to get "casuals" to play their system - the new XBL experience, all the media stuff, "family game night" crap, 1 vs 100, this is all stuff that we might enjoy to some extent, but it's really meant to show the Xbox as a family friendly experience, and not just the system for "hardcore" gamers.

Whew that was long. lol.

You forgot sony biggrin

who cares about sony? they messed up so badly this generation that they went from the clear cut winners last gen to losing money per system sold, and being dead last in the sales race.

Who cares about sony? I care! Sure sony did bad their first few years this generation but look at them now. More games more exclusives and It's only taking 2 years to make a game for it. Microsoft on the other hand did not do a good job although they were able to get the 360 sold at the amount they did, many of them broke down. Mine broke down so I sold mine for a wii. Besides, Sony is only last in America. In japan they are in second place and 360 is last.

I believe there are two things that are very important about your statement:
1) No one really cares about the Japanese sales, and
2) Second place still isn't first place  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:41 pm
I was actually referring to world wide sales, you know, where it counts.  

nitnit
Captain

Puflwiz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:47 pm
PhoenixBlade983
They either need to make more players able to play online like the Conduit or fix the online play so that it isn't so laggy.
Agreed  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm
Another idea.. Custom Robo wii  

Puflwiz

TDogVelarde26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 am
wow it is still fun right  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am
This is just my opinion. Release Wii 2. Make it HD, Motion Plus standard, and more powerful and get a good software for games that we want to play. You gotta give Sega a pat on the back for putting games the type of games We like to play on the Wii.  

KRaZyAmmo

sushi phish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:48 am
i think nintendo is doing fine in terms of their gaming crowd. they target a more kid-friendly environment and personally i still enjoy their games in spite of being a freshman in college. at least the games they make are genuinely unique, unlike a majority of the shooting games that all seem to have the same basic idea.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:14 am
i personally like the way Wii is too. But i would like it if they had a few more M rated games. i enjoy some of the games we have, like Ghost Squad and Wii sports, but i would like to add alot more gorier games to my collection. The only M rated game we have is HOD:Overkill and i want more bloody action  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

kami-ninja11

7,750 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:07 am
more games