Yes, she brings up very good points.
  For the most part, yes
  For the most part, no
  NO.
View Results

La Beaute

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:03 pm
Twilight Scribe
Ugh, I hated the last book for the sole reason of the mutant spawn, and Meyer basically going back and completely rewriting all of her characters and their weak characterization and then ignoring her universe's own rules in order to make this possible. It was all so horrendously cheesy and just plain bad that I had to go off and write a whole ton of angst to get my anger out of me.

Dawning Crap (I call it that, because I feel that's what it was) read more like a really bad internet fic, and I should know because in the break between Eclipse and Dawning Crap's publishing dates, I actually ventured out of my small corner of Twislash to see what the canon fans were turning out. Once I'd seen all the 'happily married couple Edward and Bella' fics, along with the pages full of ones where they SOMEHOW have a baby, I was thinking "Man, I hope this doesn't happen in the actual book!"

Lo and behold, my hopes were dashed and I had the urge to either shoot myself in the foot or gouge out my eyes. Then again, maybe I can steal Bones' brain bleach to remove all knowledge of it from my mind. Actually, I've been doing a pretty good job of pretending that it didn't happen and that it didn't exist.

And since we were talking about fanfiction... I'd like to recommend two of my favorites (and they're crazy good, so I do strongly suggest you go read them, even if they're not related to Twilight AT ALL).

Go check out Home by Lanaea on FF.net, and We Reach Our Apogee Slowly by kowaiyoukai on LJ.

But as far as good fanfiction for the Twilight series... good luck with finding anything good in the canon sections, because it's pretty much been flooded with bad writers who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag. I've found that almost all of the actual good 'OMFG I LOVE IT' fanfiction is to be found in the slash followings. Which is why I prefer LJ to FF.net, mostly.

I concur to infinity with you! Dawning Crap (if you don't mind me calling it that too xP) was the worst book I've picked up. Likewise, I expected Edward and Miss Blah to be barren together. Out of nowhere, this child just happens to exist. Pissed me off soo much, especially knowing that Stephenie, in the past, has made it clear that vampires cannot produce. They are "frozen in time" as she called it. If the vampires are frozen in time, therefore, they cannot produce the bodily fluids needed in order to conceive a child (mutant).

I'm really considering to return Dawning Crap, seeing as I could have gotten a much more logical, sensible, reasonable, and more enjoyable story from an unpaid author. I could have read a much better ending for FREE. La-dee-dah! >.<

Still, I question the readers who did like the last [feign] installment of the Twilight series... I really don't understand what makes them like it... v_v  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm
.Bucket.of.Joy.

It was defiantly the baby that ruined the whole thing for me, too. The thing was, was that I was so completely sure that there was no way in hell they could have a baby, that I was way past hoping for it not to happen. It didn't even cross my mind. Even when I read the part where Bella realizes that her period is long past due, the first thing that came to my mind was (and I am not kidding) that her uteris must have become vampirized somehow. And I know that's completely stupid, but I could not imagine a world where she could get pregnant. It just wasn't possible. It took me to the point where she actually feels the kicking to accept the fact that she was pregnant. And I thought it was completely rediculous.

I am very, very picky about the fanfics I read. Generally, I will read the first chapter, and if it completely sucks, I will move on, no matter how good the summary sounded. I cannot tolerate the horrid writing of 99% of the writers there. What I hate most about fanfics is how easily and quickly the characters accept one another. For example. in one I read (which didn't pass the chapter test), Bella was a fairy, and the faries were in the middle of a war with the vampires, Bella was a princess and Edward was a prince and the both hated the other species. But, oh wait, Alice 'sees' Bella dying and in trouble and they go and save her and they both fall in love at first sight. Which is stupid. She completel;y compromised the background she had set up for the characters so they would fall in love before the first chapter was even finished (I left a lengthy review about how it should not have happened that way, in which she comepletely ignored). It was bad.

My favourite story I have ever come across is A Littlle Less Than Before by Burrberry Bugsy (FF.net). Astonshingly, she actually uses paragraphs (which is rare) and knows how to spell and where to place a comma. It's a good story, it kind of plays off the idea of the movie My Best Friend's Wedding. And It doesn't do what so many fanfictions do, in which Bella has some huge life problem, but it magically gets solved as soon as Edward enters her life. That doesn't happen. It's good. The girl knows how to tell a story.

User Image

I have to agree.
The whole baby thing was annoying... and part of the reason it toook me soooooo long to finish it.

I've read better fanfiction written about the twilight series on AFF.net

But saying these things doesn't make any of us less a fan. Just... not so much a fan of the last book (for sure) or SM's writing style.

(Also I'd say I'm a decent author. The only thing that really brings down my writing is my dyslexia... when I get into writing I really don't notice mistakes I make. But my gf makes up for it as my beta as she's an amazing writer.)

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm
_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_
.Bucket.of.Joy.

It was defiantly the baby that ruined the whole thing for me, too. The thing was, was that I was so completely sure that there was no way in hell they could have a baby, that I was way past hoping for it not to happen. It didn't even cross my mind. Even when I read the part where Bella realizes that her period is long past due, the first thing that came to my mind was (and I am not kidding) that her uteris must have become vampirized somehow. And I know that's completely stupid, but I could not imagine a world where she could get pregnant. It just wasn't possible. It took me to the point where she actually feels the kicking to accept the fact that she was pregnant. And I thought it was completely rediculous.

I am very, very picky about the fanfics I read. Generally, I will read the first chapter, and if it completely sucks, I will move on, no matter how good the summary sounded. I cannot tolerate the horrid writing of 99% of the writers there. What I hate most about fanfics is how easily and quickly the characters accept one another. For example. in one I read (which didn't pass the chapter test), Bella was a fairy, and the faries were in the middle of a war with the vampires, Bella was a princess and Edward was a prince and the both hated the other species. But, oh wait, Alice 'sees' Bella dying and in trouble and they go and save her and they both fall in love at first sight. Which is stupid. She completel;y compromised the background she had set up for the characters so they would fall in love before the first chapter was even finished (I left a lengthy review about how it should not have happened that way, in which she comepletely ignored). It was bad.

My favourite story I have ever come across is A Littlle Less Than Before by Burrberry Bugsy (FF.net). Astonshingly, she actually uses paragraphs (which is rare) and knows how to spell and where to place a comma. It's a good story, it kind of plays off the idea of the movie My Best Friend's Wedding. And It doesn't do what so many fanfictions do, in which Bella has some huge life problem, but it magically gets solved as soon as Edward enters her life. That doesn't happen. It's good. The girl knows how to tell a story.

User Image

I have to agree.
The whole baby thing was annoying... and part of the reason it toook me soooooo long to finish it.

I've read better fanfiction written about the twilight series on AFF.net

But saying these things doesn't make any of us less a fan. Just... not so much a fan of the last book (for sure) or SM's writing style.

(Also I'd say I'm a decent author. The only thing that really brings down my writing is my dyslexia... when I get into writing I really don't notice mistakes I make. But my gf makes up for it as my beta as she's an amazing writer.)

That's really too bad about your dyslexia, but I'm glad that you have someone to catch all your missteps. The way I see it, it that it doesn't really matter whether or not you can spell or know where to place a comma or when to change paragraphs or whatever, because there are people that can catch those things. It's the story and the plot line that matter most. I think some can tell stories, while others fix stories (I also think a great deal of people can do both, but one comes more naturally). So, I think, that things like dyslexia will only really hold you back in English class, but once your out in the real world, it doesn't really matter so much anymore (writing wise).

I think I'm a fairly good author, too. But I tend to write in a very factual way, so I'm rather good at things like essays and position papers, so, although I can write stories, and I know most of the grammar rules, I tend to not do that good on stories written for english class (seriously, my grade 11 teacher was the first to truly mark me well on a story (exempting elementary because they mark less on the grammar and more on the plot). (I have one FF.net story if you would care to give it a look (don't feel pressured if you don't want to), my user name is tanis ann, the story is called My New Mom Is a Vampire", it's not a very serious story).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:25 pm
The baby did skeeve me but Garrett and the OCs only seen in the last third of the book made it worth reading at least. I wish that they had been in the OTHER books too since they were the best part in my opinion.  

Kari Twilight Mist

Shameless Bibliophile

Aqua Anjel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:34 pm
in response to the original post, i read that a looooong time ago, and I thought it was funny. As some other person said on here, I don't mind people making fun of Twilight as long as they do it well. lol.

It's all in the art of expression.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:59 am
.Bucket.of.Joy.

That's really too bad about your dyslexia, but I'm glad that you have someone to catch all your missteps. The way I see it, it that it doesn't really matter whether or not you can spell or know where to place a comma or when to change paragraphs or whatever, because there are people that can catch those things. It's the story and the plot line that matter most. I think some can tell stories, while others fix stories (I also think a great deal of people can do both, but one comes more naturally). So, I think, that things like dyslexia will only really hold you back in English class, but once your out in the real world, it doesn't really matter so much anymore (writing wise).

I think I'm a fairly good author, too. But I tend to write in a very factual way, so I'm rather good at things like essays and position papers, so, although I can write stories, and I know most of the grammar rules, I tend to not do that good on stories written for english class (seriously, my grade 11 teacher was the first to truly mark me well on a story (exempting elementary because they mark less on the grammar and more on the plot). (I have one FF.net story if you would care to give it a look (don't feel pressured if you don't want to), my user name is tanis ann, the story is called My New Mom Is a Vampire", it's not a very serious story).

it's true, a lot of people are more talented in one area than another, my gf is an amazing writer and can edit her own work for the most part.. but her writing is still better than her editing, for her own work anyways. She always helps me make my writing better, like changing words that are really simple and repeat through the story with words I probably wouldn't use normally.
I think my dyslexia falls under the reading/writing/speaking section, I don't write words backwards though... every time i tell people I have it that's the first thing they ask me "do you write letters backwards?" stare
I always just tell them to do their research. I just have a hard time with pronouncing a lot of words, I tend to jumble words together when I speak or mix up a sentence so that people just don't understand what the hell I'm saying XD Writing and reading wise... I have problems with english mostly. Though with a little help I got really good grades in english in grade 10 and 11.

I know people who are like you though, who could write a perfect essay but have a harder time with creative writing. Essays were never my thing. Hated them and I always hated doing the same structure for them. 5 paragraphs, first one introduces the whole essay, last one sums up the whole essay, 3 middle paragraphs detail 3 different points of the essay. And always in MLA format, unless in a different class which then you had to do... another format that i cannot remember right now, only had to do it once.

oh dear... I think we're slowly getting off topic xd lol  

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

Kookei

6,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:14 am
Yep - just finished the books and I'm a big fan of the story but this really made me laugh. Of course she's right on the mark =p  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:06 am
I'm a very big twilight fan (the books) but this was hilarious, and I think she was right on a few point whee  

Landiza

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 am
I wasn't expecting a baby to appear but my mom said she had half expected something. When she heard Stephanie Myer's defense that she never said anything about male vampires she told me that was a very weak argument. According to Meyer she only talked about female vampires. Even though it was expected my mom wasn't impressed with the argument. I enjoyed the book but my favorite's were probably all the OC's that were introduced. I think they could have such interesting stories. I also kind of wish there had been a battle. I mean she didn't want to kill her characters off I understand but it was still anticlimactic if you ask me. A lot of authors hate killing their characters off but they do it anyway. I've done it along with my writing partner. We already know how our characters will die and have it written yet we're still only on the first story.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:13 pm
well i mean yes it has flaws but like lots of people dont look at that, they look at the story behind it , the plot. and so what if she made mistakes no ones perfect.  

xNoobKira

kiyamasho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm
despite my dislike for dawning crap, i think that the 4th book concluded the series in a way that was fitting. wasn't what i personally wanted but, oh well.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 pm

I guess this proves that Stephanie isn't perfect! OH NO!
Like what I did there? Sarcasm, just like the person who edited the passage.

whee  

KimCL

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas