Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm
I'm relocating to a new state and a short term lease on a condo until I can find exactly (or as closely to exact as I can find) a piece of land I can build on.

So, for the first time, I must consider a safe for my rifles, shotguns and pistols. I've been pricing the various makes and models running anywhere from $500 to $3000 and have settled on the Remington line of safes. Two models are fire resistant and heavy enough that they won't get up and walk away without a lot of help, yet will fit in a small closet.

Anyone have a 10 rifle/shotgun safe already that they are happy with?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:43 pm
Two things to note: One, I have a Stack-on 8-gun cabinet. Cost me $120, it was cheap, and it works. If I wasn't planning to move out at first opportunity, I'd have it mounted to two studs and the floor foundation. I DARE you to make that walk. The three-point lock also makes it damn hard to pry open. Oh, and it was fun to build. 3nodding

Two, my dad has a Liberty safe. If you want an idea of how tough it is, he SHOT IT with a .38 on accident (on the inside), and we have no idea where the bullet hit. No splash mark on the safe, no holes in the wood/carpet, no damaged guns. That safe is one tough ********.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:25 pm
No matter how heavy it is, if the opportunity is there...

BOLT THE ******** DOWN.

If that opportunity is NOT there, PLEASE put it somewhere that it's damn near impossible to move in a rush.

Recently, a member on THR had his great big heavy safe stolen while he was on vacation, because it wasn't bolted down and the thieves had full run of the house for a week (his neighbors apparently didn't give a s**t). He hadn't bolted it down, and it was just settled up against one wall, instead of at least two walls, preferably three to make it awkward.

Since you only seem to be planning to stay extremely short term, just get a Stack On, since it saves you money. And you would be able to place it where you needed it without being conspicuous with the giant box for the safe and then needing a group of movers as well. The stack-on is a flat box that isn't as conspicuous, is easier for YOU to move, and won't have you needing to bring in more people to find out you have guns. If you can attach it to something, do so.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:13 am
uryu ishida
No matter how heavy it is, if the opportunity is there...

BOLT THE ******** DOWN.

If that opportunity is NOT there, PLEASE put it somewhere that it's damn near impossible to move in a rush.

Recently, a member on THR had his great big heavy safe stolen while he was on vacation, because it wasn't bolted down and the thieves had full run of the house for a week (his neighbors apparently didn't give a s**t). He hadn't bolted it down, and it was just settled up against one wall, instead of at least two walls, preferably three to make it awkward.

Since you only seem to be planning to stay extremely short term, just get a Stack On, since it saves you money. And you would be able to place it where you needed it without being conspicuous with the giant box for the safe and then needing a group of movers as well. The stack-on is a flat box that isn't as conspicuous, is easier for YOU to move, and won't have you needing to bring in more people to find out you have guns. If you can attach it to something, do so.
Stack-On cabinets, or at least mine, have 2-4 holes pre-drilled 16" apart so you can bolt it to studs in the wall, and another two or four more in the floor. Personally I haven't bolted it down, but you'd have to unhinge a ******** door to get the thing out, and that's IF you find it. It's pretty decently hidden, for a five-foot-tall green box.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 am
The one big problem with rental units is if I cause any significant changes like big a** holes in their walls, I have to forfeit the cleaning and other deposits. I'll figure something out depending on the specifics of the place I rent, including an agreement and waiver for a floor safe.

This is more to keep the maid(s) out of the valuables than anything else. I'll be having cleaning services this time. Its taking forever to clean the dust and carpet thanks to my zero maintenance schedule. The high traffic areas on the floors are a total mess.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm still a few weeks out from a final choice. I've bookmarked the gun shops in the town I plan to move to.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 pm
A friend of mine has a safe that he put in when the basement was poured and set. Had the house built around it. Door way too narrow to take it out and STILL bolted the ******** to the ground.

He said that when he sells the house the safe is definitely going with it.

Can't remember what type the safe is brandwise but the door looks to be about 3 or so inches thick.  

Barru

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:55 pm
What state are you moving to?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:16 pm
uryu ishida
What state are you moving to?

Looks like Idaho. Any tips?  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Crash Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 pm
Floyd
The one big problem with rental units is if I cause any significant changes like big a** holes in their walls, I have to forfeit the cleaning and other deposits. I'll figure something out depending on the specifics of the place I rent, including an agreement and waiver for a floor safe.

This is more to keep the maid(s) out of the valuables than anything else. I'll be having cleaning services this time. Its taking forever to clean the dust and carpet thanks to my zero maintenance schedule. The high traffic areas on the floors are a total mess.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm still a few weeks out from a final choice. I've bookmarked the gun shops in the town I plan to move to.

well, my buddy got a stack on and mounted a 2 inch steel plate to the bottom of it... its not perfect, or theft proof... but it works. no modification to the apartment, and keeps it in place without alot of investment.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 am
Barru
A friend of mine has a safe that he put in when the basement was poured and set. Had the house built around it. Door way too narrow to take it out and STILL bolted the ******** to the ground.

He said that when he sells the house the safe is definitely going with it.

Can't remember what type the safe is brandwise but the door looks to be about 3 or so inches thick.
At that point, he should have just built a walk-in and had an armored door installed.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:00 pm
Haven't found a rental unit quite yet. But I did find a pair of Stack-On cabinets, along with a Winchester branded heavy gun safe in stock at Sports Authority. Funny thing is they don't carry guns anymore! Asshats.

Anyway, I could hide one of those in a corner of a garage and bolt it to the studs without making a grand mess of things.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Floyd
Haven't found a rental unit quite yet. But I did find a pair of Stack-On cabinets, along with a Winchester branded heavy gun safe in stock at Sports Authority. Funny thing is they don't carry guns anymore! Asshats.

Anyway, I could hide one of those in a corner of a garage and bolt it to the studs without making a grand mess of things.
If you do get a Stack-On, don't over-tighten the nuts. I didn't read that far and snapped a bolt in half tightening it. sweatdrop  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas