Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
New puppy, need advice on cats adjusting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 pm
We rescued a german shepard puppy(around 6-9 months old)who was starving and had been in the rain for the last two or more days. No collar or any kind of indication she belonged to anyone. The place we found her at was a storage facility. We asked the owner and he said she'd been there awhile and people drop pets off there all the time.

Most of the cats aren't having too much of a problem with her besides hissing and growling. One may have swiped at her. She's a little scared of them and since there's alot of them, can't blame her.

We're only having a real problem right now with one cat, Buu. She's been here since she was a small kitten and instantly bonded to my husband who has pretty much become her property as far as she is concerned. When I moved in, she really didn't like me that much but got used to it when she realized I wasn't leaving. She will jump on my lap just to sit next to him and if I get up from my seat in the couch, she hops right in and snuggles next to him.

But our new puppy, Tabitha, also likes my husband a great deal. If Buu jumps in his lap, Tabitha goes nuts, barking and growling and lunging at Buu, which she doesn't do with the other cats. She's only been cowering at the other ones.

Obviously, we protected Buu and Tabby left the room for a bit. Buu can hold her own but not against a dog this size.

Anyway, we need some ideas for the two of them to stop this and at least tolerate eachother to the point where Tabby isn't lunging or barking at Buu and Buu can feel comfortable being in our bedroom along with Tabby.

Buu will jump in my husband's lap just to prove that he's her property. Tabby had no problem with Buu in the room at all until she was near my husband.
Buu is around 4-5 years old, spayed, russian blue.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:00 am
i dont have any real suggestions besides let them work it out. if the dog gets near the cat and the cat gets her good on the nose she prolly will stop.... also might start training the dog. things like no, or laydown might help in this situation. if she knows thous commands. u can have some control over the situation.  

Ryuna_08

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm
Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you can do but keep the two separated for a while.
It's in their nature, and forcing them to be together will only make them fight and hate each other more.
Let them work it out themselves.
They might not ever like each other, but they'll learn to tolerate each other enough to be in the same room after awhile.
Good luck with it, I had the same problem with my cat Max before.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 pm
With my dog, when she sees anyone else getting attention from anyone else she gets very jealous. Sounds like the same with yours.
Since it's easier to train a dog than a cat (lol) try training with her so she behaves herself when the cat is getting her quality cuddle time.

Baiser de Paix

Nahymana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 am
Usually, I'd just suggest letting them work it out. However, if the dog is acting aggressive seriously, especially a big dog, you really need to establish that as a bad thing and you are the boss, not property.

If it were my dog acting seriously aggressive, I'd spank him and tell him "no" every time. Don't kid around with your animals when it comes to being aggressive. It's dangerous. They don't have to like each other, but they need to understand that things will happen that they don't like, and they will still have to behave.

Not to mention, everytime agressive pets come to the vet clinic, we have to muzzle them and wrestle them with sometimes three or four people before we can do anything with them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 am
My dog used to piss and stuff all over the house. He was a bad boy to. We got a cage for him and whenever he was a bad boy we put him in the cage. It made him think "If I behave like this I get put in this thing" and he stopped being a bad dog. We havent used it for a year! biggrin Hope that helps!  

Amy Pearl

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items