Welcome to Gaia! ::

Furry Fandom Fantasy Discussion and RP Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's friendliest furry guild. We even have ID cards. 

Tags: furry, anthro, furrie, fandom, roleplay 

Reply Main Thread
It happened again, thoughts, reactions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am
I am sure by now many of you have heard about the entire issue with Chewfox and her mate, and the whole Tyra Banks show fiasco.

Now it is important to point out that what Chewfox did is nothing new. It's been brought up before in Vanity Fair, and CSI, the whole, adult suit (if you know what I mean) thing. So really what she has done is re-open an old wound that has pissed of the fandom and it's suiters.

Secondly it is important to note what actually went on in the short time that the couple was in the lime-light. Think of words like pictures. Pictures need a viewer in order to mean anything, and phrases and ideas need listeners in order to complete them or take them to the next level. Tyra Banks led the audience up with a very sneaky choice of words that basically insinuates the following statement "If you are a furry, you yiff in suit". or "Furries yiff in suit".

Chewfox, did nothing to disabuse anyone listening of the idea that "Furry equals having sex in suit". She did not make a distinction that some furs do it but not all.

So with what Tyra said, and what Chewfox didn't, the idea is projected to the audience that furries have sex in costume, and is left at that. Which means the audience is left to interphret it how they see fit.

I like to think the main wrong done with this segment is other than the fact that furries need to stay out of the media, so Chewfox and her mate should have never been there to begin with, but that an idea, that is a half truth, was set up to be open to interpretation to an ill-informed audience. The distinction should have been made to close the idea of open interpretation on the part of the audience. It never was.

Now I managed to net good group, to do a group discussion of 3 furs including myself, and one non fur for that difference of POV, and the result is now on Youtube, but I will not drop links here unless I am asked to.

This is how I look at this entire thing before I begin to turn my back on it and move on. I know the same thing I knew before, that we need to stay out of the media and that is the message people should put out to others in light of this fiasco. How do the rest of you look at it? What are your thoughts and reactions?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:16 am
Hmmm. To tell the truth I missed all of this, I am going to look it up later today once I get some sleep. But Sangu I do agree with you that furrys should stay out of the media, but with the exception if they are doing something that will have a positive effect on the community as a whole. Or if they are confronted with something like this they speak up and tell the good sides of the community and not just leave it at place where people will most likely get the wrong idea.

And I would also be willing to see that video you put on youtube, you can either post it here or send it to me in a PM.

LK  

Little Kanade
Vice Captain

3,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

CodyDudeTm

Desirable Fatcat

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Champion 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:40 pm
I missed this too... >w<
But it seems like teh s**t. You can't really get the whole group by listening to one person or even just a couple of people. I wish I could get on that show just to tell them off >w<

Main Thread

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games