Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
how to survive in a non wiccan family

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

have you had problems where others treated you diffrently cause you are wiccan
yes i have
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
no i haven't
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Shorana-iceheart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:44 am
Hi just wanted to make a thread for any of you that have gone through or are currently in a situation where your family or loved ones are not accepting your believes .

well me i have went through alot the last 5 years i had a landlord that found out from a nosy nieghbour that i was a wiccan and i was forceded to destroy all my wiccan belongings or get evicted . i currently live with my in laws who are both christians my mother in law accepts me for who i am but does not want me to practice or have any wicca in her house for now untill i get my own apartment.

so i am making a advice thread here for anyone who wants to discuss their situation or if they have any pointers they could post here for others to see as well . ty  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:51 pm
It's perfectly reasonable for her to ask you not to practice it in her house. She's not demanding that you believe what she does. It's her house, you should respect her wishes while you live there.

I do however think it's kinda wrong, maybe illegal, for a landlord to demand you destroy your property or else he'll kick you out for your religious beliefs. If you had a legal contract to live there, you should've had a list of reasons that he could kick you out over. Like for us it's if we have dogs or cats (which is clearly stated are not allowed).

The only issue I've ever had with being a witch is my mom first said "oh, it's just a phase, it's okay". Then when I still didn't change my beliefs, she told me that since I don't believe I can't have Christmas. I was like "okay then." Then she said how Christmas is a family holiday, not a religious one, so I HAVE to celebrate with them. I think she's pretty accepting now of my beliefs. I'm also now more into learning about other religions and I go to her with questions about Christianity.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Shorana-iceheart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:01 pm
i do respect my mother in laws wishes she allows to at least look online for wicca research which i thought is fine . i am doing ok with the whole rules of her house thing . and with the landlord instident 5 years ago that was dealt through court smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:27 pm
smile That's good then.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Ellisari

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:31 pm
Xx-Reno-Final7-xX
Hi just wanted to make a thread for any of you that have gone through or are currently in a situation where your family or loved ones are not accepting your believes .

well me i have went through alot the last 5 years i had a landlord that found out from a nosy nieghbour that i was a wiccan and i was forceded to destroy all my wiccan belongings or get evicted . i currently live with my in laws who are both christians my mother in law accepts me for who i am but does not want me to practice or have any wicca in her house for now untill i get my own apartment.

so i am making a advice thread here for anyone who wants to discuss their situation or if they have any pointers they could post here for others to see as well . ty

Make sure you're not mixing "Wiccan" up with "witch", hon.
Wicca is a mystery oath-bound religion you can only be a part of if you are initiated into by someone of the opposite sex and of proper lineage. If you don't fit that criteria, then you are not Wiccan.

A lot of people think Wiccan means witch, but it's not true. All Wiccans are witches but not all witches are Wiccan.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:48 pm
lol im a witch and a wiccan. im a wiccan witch. i live with christians. i just say i'll be who iu wanna be and im bi too but they aint gonna chanmge it.  

khlouiie-nicole

2,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:22 pm
A Wiccan is an initiated priest or priestess in a Gardner-lineaged coven who practices Wicca.
Wicca is an oathbound fertility witchcult, which does indeed mean sex. So you have to be at least 18 before any coven will even consider training you for initiation. It's part of their oaths.

Books that you read are generally basic witch stuff, nothing actually Wiccan. It's labeled as such because it sells.
And you cannot be Wiccan unless you have lineage.

So it's fine if you're not actually Wiccan. I'm not. I'm an eclectic witch. Less rules to go by, no having to worry about stealing a title that someone work years to be able to have. Generally most of what the books teach would just be labeled as "pagan". It's a wide umbrella, not a religion itself. It means that you don't worship the Abrahamic God.
Think of it this way.. you get to make your own path, with your own rules. You can choose your own deities and everything.
There's some deities that have their own path for you to follow also. Like Asatru for the Norse deities, or Hellenic for the Greek deities.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:35 am
ok then see i have been in a mud whole trying to find my own path so to speak and especially difficult since i have ADD but i have been hoping to find someone to give me advice on how to learn solitary smile

If you find that I sound lost It is due to my shyness all I want is somewhere to belong to be me and feel at home
- Haven Kemoko from my short story  

Shorana-iceheart

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm
I've never had any problems with my family about me being a witch. When I told my mom she was like "Ok, whatever." She use to have a friend when she was younger that was a witch. However my father hasn't directly said it. But I have a strong feeling he thinks it's just a phase or refuses to think that I actually believe what I do.
My family's never been very religious, lucky for me. So I don't have to worry about them freaking out. Although a few years ago when I asked what religion my family was my dad was like "I'm Protestant and so are you!" and I was like "O_o What? Since when?" lol  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:46 am
So here I am 20 years old, Been interested in Wicca for 3-4 years but only really beginning to Practice in it, But of course my family had to be all catholic/christian and thinks anything but that is Satan's work, My whole family has never and will never understand the way I am, I've been different from day one and ive always known it.

So current;y im trying to keep on the down low even though i really need to be practicing and studying  

-FoUnD-AT-LaSt-

Neamhain Riona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 am
It is illegal for them to force you to get rid of your "religious" belongings. Freedom of religion. You should have taken them to court. They can not tell you what to practice.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 am
-FoUnD-AT-LaSt-
So here I am 20 years old, Been interested in Wicca for 3-4 years but only really beginning to Practice in it, But of course my family had to be all catholic/christian and thinks anything but that is Satan's work, My whole family has never and will never understand the way I am, I've been different from day one and ive always known it.

So current;y im trying to keep on the down low even though i really need to be practicing and studying

My mom was the same way. I actually got a book by Scott Cunningham on Crystal, Gem and Metal Magick and my mom kind of laughed and poked fun at me. Then when I started telling her what stones were used for and that opals are usually bringers of bad luck she kind of changed totally. She had been wearing an opal for the past few years and everything went to s**t. =^_^= It made me feel good that she actually listened to me. I haven't seen that opal in a while. I was actually thinking about clensing it for her. I might do that tonight. My brother claims to be Methodist, but he hasn't gone to church in a looooooong time. ame with my mom, so they have started to accept it. And we also believe in a bunch of things, which is odd because of course Christians believe you go to Heaven. My mom believes in reincarnation. We have a ton of discussions about ghosts, and strange phenomonon. I really believe my mom is pagan, but she just doesn't want to embrace it. I would love to talk to her about going to find a coven with me. I think she would enjoy it.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Katsumi Aki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 pm
GuardianIceQueen
It is illegal for them to force you to get rid of your "religious" belongings. Freedom of religion. You should have taken them to court. They can not tell you what to practice.

User Image

I agree, you shouldn't have let yourself be pushed around like that. Not only does that affect you, but it makes people think they can be intolerant like that, and get away with denying the rights we were granted in our constitution.

User Image

*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games