Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
A Search for Religion...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Izzy_Beth45856

Witty Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am
Hello everyone,

I do not claim to be a Pagan, Wiccan or a Witch(yes, I am aware of my username.) I have read up on them in past years simply out of curiousity. As of right now I claim to be Agnostic, believing in a higher power(s) or being but I'm not quite sure what or who that would be.

Basically since the age of 13 (I am currently 18.) I've been on a religion search you could call it. I renounced my Chatholic upbringing because of thier ways and teachings. It didn't help that my mother especially was cramming her religion down my throat. I didn't like how they handled things so agenst my mothers wishes I left the Catholic church. Deep down she still see's me as one even though I have tried to explain to her that I don't agree with thier views. My father (he's not Catholic, hes a Protestant), he wasn't really mad that I left, he was mad at the fact that I don't necessarily believe in god. Both of my parents are strong believers in the bible. I see no problem with that what so ever. My view is 'to each their own religion'. I just wish they could understand my need to search for what is right for me.

I do remember somethings I have read on Wicca and Witchcraft, I've never really read up on Paganism at all. What I have read was many years ago and some of it has slightly faded from my memory.

What is the diffrence between the three? Paganism, Wicca, and Witchcraft.

I wanted to ask those who practice them, or at least know more about them than what I do, so that way if I have a question I can have it possibly answered.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 am
Paganism is an umbrella term. Technically all 'pagan' means is that something is not a Judeo-Christian religion. There are many different pagan religions.

Wicca is one specific pagan religion. It is an Orthopraxic, Oathbound, Initiatory, Mystery-based, Experiential, Coven-based, Fertility-focused, Dithesitic Witch-cult. (Which is a mouthful, to be sure.)

Witchcraft is the practice of magic. Witchcraft is not a religion in and of itself. It is, as says in the word itself, a craft. Witchcraft can be practiced with or without a religion, and there are atheistic witches as well as theistic ones.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:29 pm
I'm an eclectic witch. I'm not yet sure if I'm agnostic or atheist though..
For several years I've tried finding a religion that I fit in with. Most religions sound nice, but they have something to do with the whole god or goddess thing, which I obviously don't believe in.
Then someone suggested to me, for me to make my own path.
To make a path that fits you, not someone else's that you're trying to fit into. It can be hard work, actually laying it all down (if you feel it's necessary to). It can be a lot of fun, piecing it all together.

Just a suggestion. Since I know how difficult it can be trying to find a religion..  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm
So would Wicca would be a branch of Paganism?

So is any religion that is not Judeo-Christian some form or branch of Paganism?

Thank you both for your comments. Kage, you do have a point and I should look into that a bit. Morgandria, your jewlery is beautiful!

Izzy_Beth45856

Witty Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Guildmember 100

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:58 pm
Witch_Bitch09
So would Wicca would be a branch of Paganism?

Yep.

Quote:
So is any religion that is not Judeo-Christian some form or branch of Paganism?

Technically, yes. Although most of the Eastern-based faiths don't seem to like the title of "Pagan" very much so I don't think many people apply it to them often.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:43 am
Thank you Violet.
I come from a small town. We have just over 2,000 people. If you even so much as say the word Wicca or say you don't believe in god, they look at you like your some sort of spawn from hell.  

Izzy_Beth45856

Witty Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Guildmember 100

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:57 pm
Witch_Bitch09
Thank you Violet.
I come from a small town. We have just over 2,000 people. If you even so much as say the word Wicca or say you don't believe in god, they look at you like your some sort of spawn from hell.

Welcome ^^

There are always ways to avoid revealing your religious inclinations though; all you have to simply tell someone is that you prefer to not discuss such a heated topic or tell them that you don't feel it's any of their business. If they want to keep pushing the issue, tell them that you really don't wish to discuss it and respectfully ask that they find another topic. And if that fails, walk away. Because really, unless you're living under your parents' roof, it isn't anybody's business what your faith is.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:02 pm
If someone asks that I don't know, I generally just say I'm not religious. Which isn't that far from the truth (for me at least). But it's a good cover up.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Izzy_Beth45856

Witty Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 am
Thank you both again. ^.^

I will try it that was next time Violet, Thank you. Your advice is great to Kage! Thank you both! I'm glad to see that not everyone will judge and label you just because you're not like them.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games