Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
A little help for a newbie knitter?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aluxis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:43 pm
Hey guys, I'm a newbie at knitting and I'm attempting my second project, my first sock. It's coming along pretty well I think but I've come to an instruction and I'm not sure what it means for me to do. So I'm hoping one of ya'll can explain what it means to me.

Ok, so I've just finished the heel and picked up my stitches so I'm back on 3 needles again. It gave instructions for each needle for the fisrt round but for the second round all it says is to work even. What does that mean?
I'm teaching myself and although some of the terms have confused be a bit I've been able to work them out but this one has me stumped . Can anyone help me work out what work even means? Pretty please?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 pm
Work even is a way to say 'knit with no special changes'. So just knit your next round and go to the next instruction smile

And I congratulate you on being so adventurous as to attempt socks for a second project  

gemini6184

Aluxis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:36 am
Oh ok, thanks so much.

Yeah I was afraid I might have been a bit too ambitious taking on socks but I just really wanted to try them and finaly found a pattern that's not too difficult. So they're just going to be some plain basic socks with no fancy patterns in them or anything but I figured basic is good to learn with. Hopefully they'll turn out ok and you'll be able to tell that they are supposed to be socks when I'm done. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:46 pm
I think socks are a good beginner project actually. It's not too difficult, it looks impressicve and it helps you learn several useful techniques. You have the trickiest part covered, turning the heel.

You are now working the gusset and the idea is to decrease and make the sock more narrow as your foot gets narrower. You will not decrease every round, probably, since that would make the socks too narrow too quickly.

Good luck on the rest of the sock! You can do it smile (and post pictures when you're done)

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Blood-Spattered-Sundress

7,650 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 pm
Wow! That's pretty brave for your second project! I applaud you! I've only just started making socks on knift knitters looms, they're pretty easy! After one sock I memorized the pattern and I've been making them for my family for the holidays!

=D  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 pm
Thanks for all the encouragement. I finally finished the first one. There are a few very noticable mistakes but oh well. It was a learning experience and they are just for me to wear around the house on cold days so who cares right? I'm about to start on the second one and it should turn out better since I have a better idea of what I'm doing now. lol xd I'll post some pictures once I get the second one done. That way if the 2nd does turn out better you guys can see how I'm progressing as a knitter, and have a better idea of what they are supposed to look like. Atleast you can tell that it's a sock though! lol  

Aluxis

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 pm
Can't wait to see! I don't wear my socks I made myself sweatdrop The yarn feels too rough on my skin  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:43 pm
I remember when I knitted my first pair of socks...I felt so cool after I turned the heel!  

Kumiko21

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:50 pm
it means to work in plain knit stich and not increase or decrease. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 am
i remember the first scarf i made i was the happiest little kid ever!!!!!!! then i made a stuffed animal and i thought i was unstoppable lol smile  

dancing_lightning

8,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

watermoon11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:05 pm
nice. well i cant knit socks. my first project i was 8 its was a blanket. i still have it but i mess up on some stuff. now im trying to make myself a cloak. just keep up the good work!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:10 pm
I'd love to see the finish socks!! I've been knitting for years and socks still piss me off.  

takocos

Dapper Genius

4,275 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items