Reply TokyoPop Manga Guild
disturbing info for artists & writers [Be Careful with TP!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iyami ame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:24 pm
Please dont delete my post, i Just found this out and i Dont think any of you knew, or read their legal forms

I was having a conversation about my manga with someone who happens to be a legal student, and tokyopop was going to publish me, so it came up:
Quote:
Who is the publisher? If you say tokyopop, I'll say you signed your life and ideas away and you should have read the contracts better. They're horrible.

Quote:
They can still pull the s**t. Once you sign, it's already done. Also, when you submit, they automatically own it. It's part of the submission process. Trust me, their lawyers are better than any you'll be able to afford.

Just be careful. I'm 9 months away from a bachlors in EntertainmentBusiness and Law. I have one in computer animation. (A lot of good thatshit's done for me.) In any case, they can get you and if there wassomething you could do after the fact, someone would have done soalready. Just know what you're getting into. Also, tokyopop acceptspretty much anything. They're trying to capitalize on a movement andflood the market with american artists so they don't have to import andtranslate. It saves them a lot of money. Make sure you read EVERYTHINGthey have in the submission packet and the submission pages on thesite. Read all of the fine print. Let your family lawyer look it overand tell you in layman's terms what it means. Legalise ******** a lot ofpeople over.

i'm not saying dont publish with them, im saying be as careful as humanly possible and get the best lawyer you can find befor publishing with them, or even sbmitting to them,

to summerize and repeat: theyre lawyers Will screw you over if you let them, Be Careful!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:51 pm
Wow I didn't know that. thx for the heads up 3nodding ! Anyhoo, if you don't mind wut is your manga?  

moka_moka_sama

Ravasalque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:49 pm
somebody created a similar topic in Comic Creators
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11570099
it discusses ROSM, in paticular  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:49 am
... I work for Tokyopop... have been for over a year . Been pretty happy so far. And I have the best editor EVAR. Proof!
http://www.markofthesuccubus.net/

I mean, yeah, the pay could be better (but isn't that always the case?) I accept the fact that I'm not an established manga-ka and maybe someday, I'll earn more for my work, but at least I'm getting my work out there in the first place.

As with most companies, there are positives and negatives... but Tokyopop isn't as terrifying as people make it sound.  

beanclam

Fashionable Star

4,000 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Dressed Up 200

Maerad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:14 am
I've heard of you, beanclam! biggrin You're manga looks uber cool.. I remember seeing it in the TP site....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:25 am
beanclam
... I work for Tokyopop... have been for over a year . Been pretty happy so far. And I have the best editor EVAR. Proof!
http://www.markofthesuccubus.net/

I mean, yeah, the pay could be better (but isn't that always the case?) I accept the fact that I'm not an established manga-ka and maybe someday, I'll earn more for my work, but at least I'm getting my work out there in the first place.

As with most companies, there are positives and negatives... but Tokyopop isn't as terrifying as people make it sound.
I know you, so cool!!! I love your manga...

Upsides and down sides, i hope the ups are better than the downs... Thanks for telling us.  

little wolf blossom

Gatzer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:13 pm
you do not make mark of the succubus!!! thats so awesome!!! ur a god among underground cult manga lovers! so damn cool!!! sry, i dont read ur manga, im very strict on my manga diet.......but i have read previews!! great art!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:19 pm
hey beanclam, are you ashly raiti or irene flores?  

Gatzer

animefan4eva419

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:34 am
OMG eek I love you're manga!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:06 am
Silver-gatzer
hey beanclam, are you ashly raiti or irene flores?

I'm Irene Flores. ^_^ I do the drawing....  

beanclam

Fashionable Star

4,000 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Dressed Up 200

Melpoclypse

Fashionable Gaian

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 am
I would like to start working for TokyoPop.
Either translating, inking, or drawing.
The only problem I have is no connections, lol.
www.kiramudo.deviantart.com
if you wanted to know how my art looks like....  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:31 pm
Holy crap! eek I'm not worthy. *worships* XD  

xx_dragon_girl_13_xx

TokyoPop Manga Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas