Never touched them. *maniacal laughter*
View Results

Black_Angel_Flowne

2,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:43 am
This is one of my favorite topics, but let's talk shrinks.
Do you think they're important? Do you think people really need psycho medications? Or is it all a waste of money?

I'm mainly asking because a lot of my family doesn't agree with taking anti-depress or mental medicines. (Which is why they don't know I take anti-depressants and go see a psychiatrist.)

I think it's a good thing as long as you don't overprescribe. I only take about 20 mg a day of this medication, because I'm afraid of going nuts or maybe becoming too dependent on the stuff to feel good.

I started the whole thing after having to leave my job because of severe panic attacks. I was diagnosed with... what was it?
Panic Disorder with Provisional Agoraphobia... I think that's it.
So, what do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:07 am
Well, a friend of mine's been going through some serious depression, and I've seen the benefit antidepressants and counselling can do, so I can't really criticise them, so long as you don't form a dependancy on them.

i think counsiellers are impoirtant because everyone needs a neautral and experinced ground one which to talk to someone.

psychologists/psychiatrists are always wary in some ways, because i worry they get too boged down in freud etc, which might be unhealthy. so it depends.  

dragontamer363
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am
Well a councilor can be of help so I think it's great that they're available for people who needs someone to talk to that doesn't really know them and won't a) gossip to family b) maybe judge them too. Though it's not good to completely rely on a councilor b/c you'd never know who doesn't know what they're doing and they might lead you in the wrong direction.
As for medications. I've heard that they help but at the same time too I think it can be a bad thing b/c some people depend on it way too much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 am
i think the problem is getting off the meds once yo've used them for a long time  

dragontamer363
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:09 am
Yeah, that's it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:18 am
My step-dad is a psycho-therapist so my opinion will be biased.

I've heard all people say counselors suck balls and they perscribe medicine just to get your out of their office and don't care whether it works or not.
People gotta get their facts right.
Psychiatrists are the ones that perscribe medicine and not all psychologists and therapists like them.
Example, my step-dad hates them because he says they all think they can solve everyone's problem with medication.

So I believe that counseling works as long as you have a good counselor, as DT said a bad one will make you worse.
I've never had any experience with meds nor have I known anyone who has so I can't really say anything about that.
A friend once told me about a friend of hers that was on antidepressents at the age of like 13 and it completely messed up her hormones so she'll most likely not be able to have a child later in life. (she's about 20 now)

I'm against the idea but sometimes they work wonders for people when they're perscribed in the right doses.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:43 am
i think teh proble with antidepressants is that people take it as a permanant solution, when relaly it's just supposed to be there so you don't try killing yourself as you work out the roots of the problems.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm
I am studying to become a psychologist. I'm upgrading my math atm but so far from what i've learned, only use medication as a last resort. Plus don't just take the medication and be on your way. Medication plus therapy is the way to go if you even consider meds.  

Mrs.BonJovi

33,325 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Gender Swap 100
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items