Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Suggestions: hard pieces for piano! Classical please! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Escargot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:15 pm
Prokofiev Toccata in D! Or some Bartok, just because it's fun.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm
chopin pieces, it requires fast fingers and lots of technique  

Luminant Dreams

6,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

mistorious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am
I'd say the Chopin Ballades  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 am
Besides the obvious (Chopin, Liszt, Ravel, etc.), I'd suggest Robert Schumann. I've recently tried my hands at Carnaval, and it's quite fun to play. His other works like Kreisleriana, Davidsbundler, Fantasy in C major, Symphonic Etudes are among the more virtuosic of his output.

A personal favourite of mine is Debussy. All of his solo piano works are worth taking a lot at--I especially love his two sets of Preludes and Images, as well as Estampes. You can learn a lot about tone, colour, and pedalling with his pieces.

Another interesting pursuit would be the Liszt transcriptions of Schubert's Lieders (and others...I've played one of Schumann too) and Beethoven's symphonies.

On a side note, if you're having difficulty finding the music, check IMSLP, or you can always order online. Though you can also talk to the clerk at your local music store--many are willing to do special orders if you ask. Have fun!  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Fryderyk Chopin

Ursine Comrade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm
I would recommend any of Scriabin's sonatas if you're good at fairly complex polyrhythms such as 5-3 or 5-4. Very rewarding but surprisingly monumental goals despite their relatively short lengths (4,5, and 9 are less than 10 minutes long).

Here is my favourite rendition of Scriabin's 4th sonata. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeLmHxrYxM  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:51 pm
Speaking of polyrhythms, I highly recommend Ligeti's Etudes for Piano. Lots of good stuff in there!

Currently listening to a awe-inspiring performance of Messiaen's Regard de l'Esprit de Joie (from his Vingt Regards). That might be another interesting project to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi5QVOCNK6M  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Deathstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 pm
blueberryprincess23
- { Music is my life. Without it.... } -

I have just joined this guild and I am glad that someone actually made one. ^ ^

So now I have a question for every musician or a person that plays piano: Could you please list a few pieces for piano that are very hard and if you have time could you also please give a link so I can hear it and do you have any suggestions of where I should buy piano pieces. But only classical please!

My current favortie is the Nutcracker Suite but I am having trouble finding it in music stores.

Help??

- { I might as well die a slow, painful death } -

I got one perfect as can be for you. It not only has difficulty, but it tests your skills as a piano player. It's a song I wrote, called "Finale of the Symphony" It is classical, but has so much to do in such little time.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff