Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
Recipes Needed

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Any recipes to share?
  yes
  no
View Results

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm
I'm looking for some good recipes for some Communion cakes/drinks for my next ritual does anyone have any?

I'm looking for some pagan communion recipes I going to do a full ritual on my own soon. With my first attendant my mother she is going in for hip surgery and I'm going to do a healing/Protection ritual for her before she goes to the hospital so that hopefully her hip won't hurt as much and her surgery will go well. I have spent a month planning this ritual on the side of doing school work and I have planned every detail and but I still only feel like I'm half way done and her surgery is in November so any help would be appreciated.

So far I have wrote out the ritual and its design now I just have to incorporate a attendee into the experience and get some communion recipes of course.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 pm
So you are simply looking for some cake and ale recipies hun??
Just wondering if I am correct.
If so, here are a few I enjoy.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:51 pm
iHecate

Basically, but something that is simple and maybe something that has ingredients that are good for healing or protection would be nice.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:54 pm
iHecate
If so, here are a few I enjoy.

Thanks, but after looking them over they are not really what I'm looking for except maybe the Moon Cakes I think I might try them.  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
iHecate

Basically, but something that is simple and maybe something that has ingredients that are good for healing or protection would be nice.

Hmmm I see, well I'll pull out my cook books and see what I have here.
Well I have two simple drinks here for you, one alcoholic and the other none.
May Wine
1 bottle of white wine
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
12 sprigs of fresh woodruff
Pour wine into a 1/2 gallon wide mouth glass jar. Add the sliced strawberries and woodruff, and let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge. Strain and serve.

Soft Mead
1 quart water, preferably spring water
1 cup honey
1 sliced lemon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Boil together all ingredients in a non-metallic pot. While boiling, scrape off the rising "scum" with a wooden spoon. When no more rises add the following:
pinch salt
juice of 1/2 lemon

Any healing herbs, or herbs that you may wish to use due to their magical properties can be added in small bound bundles of cheese cloth to the wine and or soft mead.
I don't having many " healing " enducing specific recipies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:04 pm
iHecate
Musical_Vampire_Socks
iHecate

May Wine
1 bottle of white wine
Pour wine into a 1/2 gallon wide mouth glass jar. Add the sliced strawberries and woodruff, and let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge. Strain and serve.

Soft Mead
1 cup honey
1 sliced lemon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Boil together all ingredients in a non-metallic pot. While boiling, scrape off the rising "scum" with a wooden spoon. When no more rises add the following:
pinch salt
juice of 1/2 lemon

Any healing herbs, or herbs that you may wish to use due to their magical properties can be added in small bound bundles of cheese cloth to the wine and or soft mead.

I like the Soft Mead but I have no idea were I would find a non-metallic pot and by that you mean not metal right is that what you meant or something else?  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:01 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
iHecate
Musical_Vampire_Socks
iHecate

May Wine
1 bottle of white wine

Soft Mead
1 cup honey
1 sliced lemon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
pinch salt
juice of 1/2 lemon

I like the Soft Mead but I have no idea were I would find a non-metallic pot and by that you mean not metal right is that what you meant or something else?

Yeah, none metal dear.
I tend to use my cauldron >< some people use copper pots.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 pm
iHecate

Yeah, none metal dear.

i assume youre cauldron is cast iron?

iron and copper are both still metal confused

to socks: sorry, i dont have any recipes to share sad  

whiporwill-o

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 pm
whiporwill-o
iHecate

Yeah, none metal dear.

i assume youre cauldron is cast iron?

iron and copper are both still metal confused

to socks: sorry, i dont have any recipes to share sad

Yeah, I don't know a couldron not mad out of cast iron.
Is there? O:
yes but I find copper works in a pinch, most metals give off a funny taste.
not sure why.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 pm
iHecate

Yeah, I don't know a couldron not mad out of cast iron.
Is there? O:

PLASTIC! lol, though i don't know how well that would turn out for cooking. xd
there are pewter and copper cauldrons as well, but they're still metallic and i don't recommend cooking with pewter, seems like the sort of thing that would cause cancer.

iHecate

yes but I find copper works in a pinch, most metals give off a funny taste.
not sure why.

weird. i've never made nor had mead before, so i can't really comment, but i have had beer out of a can and i think the aluminum makes it taste funny.  

whiporwill-o

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 am
If you need something non-metallic you could use a glass cooking pot (Corning Ware used to make one) or a pot with an enamel finish.

(I'll have to dig up some recipes in a bit)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm
ncsweet
If you need something non-metallic you could use a glass cooking pot (Corning Ware used to make one) or a pot with an enamel finish.

(I'll have to dig up some recipes in a bit)

now that you mention it, i think my mom has a pyrex sauce pan, at least she used to. it may have been corningware. 3nodding  

whiporwill-o

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:53 am
Just make standard cookie biscuits with some honey in them(Brushed on top, or added to the batter in an amount as you wish, but watch how thick or thin the batter gets. Taste it as you make it) and bless them as you make them.(Soda bread is easy, as are basic sugar cookies. I don't think I need to link recipes to those!) If you want to get all fancy you can, but it's all about the symbolism, IMO. Hera doesn't seem to care if I burn fancy organic rice to her, or cheap white rice. She cares if it's something I'll eat and use myself.

For the record, a simple non metallic pot can be made with some difficulty out of a clean glass jar. It can shatter if you cool it off too quickly(or heat it), so upon your recipe being finished, quickly pour your ingredients into a plastic or other glass container, then be prepared for the glass to shatter. I would not suggest doing this if you are clumsy, or not an experienced chef. Do not do this if you have young children around, or absolutely cannot have a burn. It is not ideal by far, and kinda dangerous. It has worked for me though!

The concern over cooking with pewter is the lead. Lead does not generally cause cancer, but it's just a wee bit toxic and dangerous to eat. Unless you like dying, and having heavy metal build up and insanity, but hey, to each their own! Copper is also a toxic heavy metal(hence why Cornish biscuits have a little rim around the edge, so a miner can eat them with dirty hands and not eat copper dust) , same deal with Aluminum(though Al is safer slightly). In general, stainless steel is ok, and cast iron is safer. Cast iron can still cause iron poisoning, so, don't let it rust and get your iron levels checked(however, it's around the same risk of taking a daily multivitamin of iron). Plastic is a bad idea to cook with. It releases carcinogens, which do cause cancer, and it can melt. Melted plastic is icky. It makes the food taste funny as well. Cast iron is good for "bloody" or metallic already tasting foods. It complements lemon well. Now, you're not supposed to make soups in cast iron, since it removes the protective fatty coating you place on it to make it nonstick.

Personally, I cool with leaves if I'm roasting(and coals.), and stainless steel for more normal cooking. Pyrex for baking if it's needed, or steel. Generally speaking though, I don't use containers for baking unless absolutely needed such as for a runny batter. I make a cake about 2x per year, so...  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games