Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HEY
  hi!!
View Results

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:11 pm
So there are lots of halloween items being sold at stores to decorate your house inside and out with. One of my friends went to the store and saw a nice mirror she said. When she looked at it she saw herself and then suddenly it changed and man was yelling "Help! Let me out of here!" or something like that. XD It was a fake halloween mirror but she was thinking that if she did a halloween party she might place it in the bathroom. XD
I think that'll be hilarious.

Well anyone dresses their house up for halloween? What do you do on this holiday? Is there some places that don't celebrate it maybe by the way?

For me, we don't do anything special. When it's Halloween day we just make sure the light in the door area is on so kids know we are giving out candy. Usually me and my sister sit outside (we have a few chairs and a hammock in the side which is where the door is so we can see the kids coming and get ready to give them candy. Sometimes if it's cold we stay indoors and have them just knock the door. ^_^ We don't really go all out with decorations..on the other hand Christmas is a celebrated holiday for us where decoratings and stuff are placed up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm
lol that's awesome! I'd crap myself. Just as well it'd be in the bathroom....

we always mean to do high-blown stuff, but never do. sad
though once we had a litle halloween party and my dad and grandad spent literally horus stringing christmas lights up our stairs and wiring up a mask and pillowcases to look like a grany in a rocking chair that screamed at you as you walked by.
Gotta keep those boys entertained. rolleyes lol  

dragontamer363
Crew

0Moon_Maiden0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 pm
I just have some pumpkin lights in the window of my dorm room. Don't have enough vistors come by to do anything massive.

When I was little though my dad would set up tombstones and giant spider webs outside.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:44 pm
We don't do the whole Halloween thing in New Zealand but occassionally some kids will want to try it because of all the American TV we have here so they go to random houses and ask for lollies, and it's just really annoying. =/
That mirror sounds pretty cool though! xD I wouldn't mind getting it to put in the bathroom just to scare my sister or someone haha.  

Custom Kiwi

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm
I most likely won't be in town Halloween, at least most of the day.

I'll probably be in LA visiting my step-sister.

But I've never really like Halloween.
I dreaded it as a kid because of this one house that must have been in the movie business because their house was AMAZING.
It just made me fear Halloween since.
I actually get quite annoyed when everyone gets so excited over it because my friends are totally into it.
"FREE CANDY"
"DRESS UP"
"BEST HOLIDAY EVARRRR"
Pff

I enjoy Christmas much more.
People don't try to randomly scare you and most people are pretty happy.
/i'm not a pansy, really.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34 pm
Oh, I've seen that thing before.

If she puts it in a bathroom, let's hope the people scared by it will have already done their business.  

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Fate-J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 am
i dont celebrate it here:/ in fact, many pple dont know abt it lol! i do like the idea of getting to eat lots of sweets tho(:  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:40 am
Dornkus
Oh, I've seen that thing before.

If she puts it in a bathroom, let's hope the people scared by it will have already done their business.

xd  

0Moon_Maiden0

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 am

@DT

lol That sounds awesome. We don't do anything extreme either since it's not really a holiday for my parents unlike Christmas. Those houses that do go all out look pretty cool though. ^_^

Moon
Oh yeah does your college do anything special for holidays like Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas?

Custom Kiwi
lol I would do it just to scare my mom. I'm kinda tempted to go see how much it is and maybe do a little trick or something. Oh! So new zealand doesn't celebrate it? Neat! Do you have holidays that maybe we don't have?

Zizzy
lol I don't think it's the best holiday ever. I love Christmas more b/c it's gift-giving/receiving time and all merry/happy.
I would love if it would snow on Christmas Eve/Day. Just once. Hopefully this year it does. Have fun visiting your step sister!

Dornkus
You saw it? I wanna see it since she told me about it. Curious on how it looks. ^_^

Quote:

lol I wonder if she thought of that.

Fate
Really?! I'm surprised some people might not know of it. Neat. Do you have a holiday involving getting lots of sweets by the way? Maybe something we might not have here? ^_^ Then again.....(continued below...)

@Everyone
(continued)....Then again....how did Halloween come about by the way? The holiday? o_O

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:15 am
Moonlight_HuangHou

Moon
Oh yeah does your college do anything special for holidays like Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas?

@Everyone
(continued)....Then again....how did Halloween come about by the way? The holiday? o_O

The dining hall puts on a special dinner and there are a couple of events. Other then that its up to us to find our own fun.

Wiki:
Quote:
Halloween has origins in the ancient Gaelic festival known as Samhain (pronounced sow-in or sau-an), which is dervied from Old Irish and means roughly "summer's end".[5] A similar festival was held by the ancient Britons and is known as Calan Gaeaf (pronounced kalan-geyf). The festival of Samhain celebrates the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half", and is sometimes[6] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[7]

It could be seen as a festival of the dead. The ancient Gaels believed that the border between this world and the otherworld became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. The family's ancestors were honoured and invited home whilst harmful spirits were warded off. It is believed that the need to ward off harmful spirits led to the wearing of costumes and masks. Their purpose was to disguise oneself as a harmful spirit and thus avoid harm. In Scotland the spirits were impersonated by young men dressed in white with masked, veiled or blackened faces.[8][9]

Samhain was also a time to take stock of food supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. Bonfires played a large part in the festivities. All other fires were doused and each home lit their hearth from the bonfire. The bones of slaughtered livestock were cast into its flames.[citation needed] Sometimes two bonfires would be built side-by-side, and people and their livestock would walk between them as a cleansing ritual.

Another common practise was divination, which often involved the use of food and drink.

0Moon_Maiden0

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:02 am
I'm going to crash in on teh geography society club's outing to Alton Towers theme park....but I just realised that it'll be a halloween theme since i'm going on the 31st.
They open it at NIGHT.
and they pay people to jump out at you and follow you around the par trying to scare you
I'm going to piss myself sad lol

God I'm a wuss. But it should be a good experience smile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 am
arrr....!

dang.. it went out wronmg.. i meant to say boo..

= haha mrgreen  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers