Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 pm
A local gun store has a number of ugly looking but complete Romanian AKs, including a snail drum magazine (which I didn't ask the price for). They also had a few very clean Galil carbines. Not the new remanufactured models.

The AKs were just under $400 while the Galils were running up to $800, depending on how clean and new they were.

I know the Galil weighs damn near 10 pounds loaded, but do I want .223 and a better build quality, or shall I just buy a junky looking Soviet era antique on the cheap?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:50 pm
Can't say. I don't know that much about the Galil, other than that it's Israeli-built and based off the Kalashnikov pattern.

I'd probably go with the AK for cost, but it doesn't matter because I a.) don't HAVE $400, b.) can't have a gun (even paintball or airsoft) while living with my parents, and c.) doubt I could get an AK in Commiefornia, especially for $400. Besides, I've already decided I want my first gun to be an Ithaca, if I can get my hands on one.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Ubasti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:56 pm
A Galil is basically a 5.56mm Kalashnikov with redesigned sights. It's a nice weapon, but I'd go with the Romanian gun for the novelty of owning a Soviet Block weapon. Then again, I like how Soviet junk looks.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 pm
Thrice Damned Mick
A Galil is basically a 5.56mm Kalashnikov with redesigned sights. It's a nice weapon, but I'd go with the Romanian gun for the novelty of owning a Soviet Block weapon. Then again, I like how Soviet junk looks.
Agreed. Also, I think Israeli guns look like s**t. I'd get it for the novelty value of having a wood-and-steel chunk of the history of every third-world nation EVER.

Also, it's 'Soviet bloc', no K.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Ubasti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:53 am
Fresnel
Thrice Damned Mick
Agreed. Also, I think Israeli guns look like s**t. I'd get it for the novelty value of having a wood-and-steel chunk of the history of every third-world nation EVER.

Also, it's 'Soviet bloc', no K.
You know what else would be awesome? A ******** T-34. I'd love one of those. Best damn thing the Russians ever built. It was precisely the tank they needed, and it came along just in time. It was unbelievably well suited to it's role.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:03 pm
I'm still on the fence.

Quick review of things I like about the Galil:
.223 instead of 7.62mm. Granted one can buy either caliber with ease in bulk.

Age of weapon. Good luck trying to maintain a worn out non-Russian model AK. Granted one might have a bit of trouble getting parts for a broken Galil.

Visual ascetic. The Galil looks much cleaner than the beat up AK.

The downside of the Galil:
Weight. It's built like a tank for heavy service.

Requires a special extra cost adapter to allow use of standard AR magazines.

A lack of custom parts for tweaking the carbine to your specifications.

I have until next week to finalize my choice. I'm hoping to buy at least one rifle a month now that I"m in Idaho. Though I might buy the right pistol if I find it first.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:24 pm
If you don't mind a last minute ringer;
try to find a VZ 58.

It uses 7.62x39 but it's a milled receiver, and if you like the looks of a Galil you might like the looks of this one.

Thing that sucks though is that it can't take AK mags which is what I previously thought.

Anyway, as far as Romanian AKs go I've heard those are the better of the variants. Not the best, just the better.
Just watch out for canted front sights and gas ports.

Also, I don't know if this is just in Minnesota, but under $400 for an AK is pretty good, current president considered.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:40 pm
OberFeldwebel
If you don't mind a last minute ringer;
try to find a VZ 58.

It uses 7.62x39 but it's a milled receiver, and if you like the looks of a Galil you might like the looks of this one.

Thing that sucks though is that it can't take AK mags which is what I previously thought.

I'm in luck given that Impact Guns has a brick and mortar store across town from my place. They show on their website that they have two different models of the VZ 58, refreshed and better than new. But at what price?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/806703050515.html

For this kind of money, they should at least give the buyer more than one magazine if you can't use standard and easy to get models!

Oh, and here is their ad for the aforementioned Romanian AK at the bargain basement price.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/RI1197-N.html  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers