Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Guild question Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 pm
Leona Moon
Esselean
Lucas Moonrose

Though it'd be a pretty hard Venture to try seeing as people are looking for what Wicca is and not what it isn't..

and they don't want to read a book telling them how wrong they are. They don't even want to read posts that tell them their ideas of Wicca are not right... *sigh* It can be very draining sometimes

Some people will read the book and consider what it has to say, and they will educate others on the subject. I'm not saying it will convert the masses, but if it's such a huge issue then I don't see a good reason not to try. You'll have to also focus on what it is, not just what it's not. What people make of it is beyond your control.

From my experience people will only pay attention to what they want to hear. And generally people want to hear that Wicca is a nice-happy-bundle-of-sunshine-and-rainbows-good-magic-natured-based-available-to-all religion. Why buy a book that tells you that that is not what Wicca is when you have Ravenwolf and many many other authors to tell you all the fluffyness you want to hear???  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 pm
I agree.

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 am
Esselean
Leona Moon
Esselean
Lucas Moonrose

Though it'd be a pretty hard Venture to try seeing as people are looking for what Wicca is and not what it isn't..

and they don't want to read a book telling them how wrong they are. They don't even want to read posts that tell them their ideas of Wicca are not right... *sigh* It can be very draining sometimes

Some people will read the book and consider what it has to say, and they will educate others on the subject. I'm not saying it will convert the masses, but if it's such a huge issue then I don't see a good reason not to try. You'll have to also focus on what it is, not just what it's not. What people make of it is beyond your control.

From my experience people will only pay attention to what they want to hear. And generally people want to hear that Wicca is a nice-happy-bundle-of-sunshine-and-rainbows-good-magic-natured-based-available-to-all religion. Why buy a book that tells you that that is not what Wicca is when you have Ravenwolf and many many other authors to tell you all the fluffyness you want to hear???

I don't see this as a good reason to give up from your standpoint, and I don't even agree with the whole issue. Fortunately, some people are intelligent and would pick up the book and listen. I can't tell you all of them will see what you see, but it would be nice to publish something instead of just bitching about it to thirteen-year-olds on roleplaying websites. I'm not saying that's useless either, because a lot of people here seem to be educated about it, but if you can make a difference here then you certainly can through publishing a book. I would also like to point out that not all eclectics buy into the Ravenwolf white light ideas.

I'm not asking you specifically to do this, but there's others here that would be able to and appear to invest so much time in it they may as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:10 am
Leona Moon
I'm not saying that all of it is necessarily right.

But by not saying anything or speaking up, you are allowing it to continue and for people to think that it IS right.
Quote:
You should do what you believe in, I'm just pointing out that it's going to be extremely difficult.

Never stopped anyone else before wink .
Quote:
To be honest, I think racism and sexism are much more important issues than etymological disagreements.

As do I. I used them to illustrate that not doing something because it's hard and no one will listen is well, kind of not a good plan.
Quote:
Yes I do know they can't publish the inner court teachings, I had meant publishing their opinions on this whole issue with facts to back it up.

IMO, I think the big thing that would keep those books from being published is $$. Book publishers aren't going to make money on a book that tells the majority "No, you're wrong. Other authors are wrong. Wicca is X,Y, and Z." You'd have so-called "Wiccans" foaming at the mouth that anyone dare to tell them they aren't Wiccan.
Quote:
I don't think all of this is the reason to give up and accept eclectic Wicca, but these are important issues to consider you're going to stand against it. Good luck to you all.

Yup, I know blaugh .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 am
Violet Song jat Shariff

IMO, I think the big thing that would keep those books from being published is $$. Book publishers aren't going to make money on a book that tells the majority "No, you're wrong. Other authors are wrong. Wicca is X,Y, and Z." You'd have so-called "Wiccans" foaming at the mouth that anyone dare to tell them they aren't Wiccan.

You'd have to find the right publisher, I suppose. Maybe people have already tried and I don't know about it. There are a lot of things to consider, especially how to make the book more appealing (start by not advertising it as what Wicca isn't) and what audience to direct it to. Despite all of the issues there is still potential. You won't know unless you try...like you implied, why should difficulty stop anybody?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 am
It took me a while, But Violet. You make me smile. That or I'm Tired xDD

I Agree Whole heartedly with the Above Statements you've made.

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 am
Leona Moon

I don't see this as a good reason to give up from your standpoint, and I don't even agree with the whole issue. Fortunately, some people are intelligent and would pick up the book and listen. I can't tell you all of them will see what you see, but it would be nice to publish something instead of just bitching about it to thirteen-year-olds on roleplaying websites.

Unfortunately bitching to thirteen-year-olds (and those a bit older as well) is the only things that works....Well at least some of the time....
I just feel that putting a book out there on the off chance someone may pick it up, read it and suddenly change their mind about what they thought they knew is not the best way to go about things. Sometimes people need to be confronted to take that first step towards learning.

Leona Moon
I would also like to point out that not all eclectics buy into the Ravenwolf white light ideas.

I said generally speaking  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 am
You can do whatever you want, I'm just throwing some suggestions out there. They would perhaps have to market it somewhere besides the new age section.  

Leona Moon

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games