Reply Buying and Advice
Yugo, Norinco, or Tula?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ms Truffle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 pm
So, I pretty much have my heart set on an SKS, because they're cheap and they suit my needs. Sure, I'd prefer an AR-15, but they're as out of my price range as a Cheytac Intervention.

Now, I'm planning on getting a unfired SKS. Because I'm picky and paranoid like that. However, I've got a question- which SKS is the best? The Yugo, (Yugoslavia) Norinco, (China) or the Tula? (Russia)

I found a Tula unfired, but I'm not yet ready to get one, just yet. crying

EDIT: Scratch that, starting price is $600 on the unfired Tula. No way in hell I'm paying that kind of money for an SKS. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 am
You should be able to find a clean Yugo for under $400.

Let's see what Impact Guns has in their inventory...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/sks.html (listed as out of stock this week)

Who you buy the gun matters as much as the condition of the gun. If there is no one to back the gun, don't buy it.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 am
My dad has a Chinese SKS. Real nice gun, never had any problems with it. Well, it DID destroy a target once, but I don't know if that's a PROBLEM, per se...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:14 am
$400 for a Yugo SKS?

... <******** thing you'll probably need to replace on the Yugo is the gas valve.
They used corrosive ammunition and didn't clean that part well so it's probably pitted and useless.
That's what I had to do for mine.

The Yugos don't take those aftermarket magazines as well as others, you'd need to do some grinding on the rifle for the mags to work, and even then the aftermarket mags suck and wont function right.

I think I've heard that on these Yugos you can actually get 11 rounds into the box so you somewhat get a 10 +1 deal.

I have never seen a Yugo SKS go for that high, I have seen a Norinco SKS for $399, no idea if it sold though, probably not.

I just think that's an insane price.

Might as well get an AK.

http://www.classicarms.us/index.htm

WASR 10
$360

Those have scope rails on the side and can fit a PSO/POSP type scope which is just what you would need.
2.5 magnification for the PSO and the POSP types have 4x24, 6x24, 6x42 or 8x42 models
$200 for the PSO.
Also there are probably some PSO type scopes on eBay off of PSLs which should go for ~$100.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=62

Here's one for the AK specifically.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=566

A little tidbit,
Russian SKSs were made in two factories.
Tula and Izhevsk.
In the case of the SKS, the Izhevsk is slightly more uncommon.
But when it comes to Mosins, Tula is slightly more uncommon.
Funny how these things turn out eh?

No need to D&T the rifle and cut the stock out of the way yourself already has a good solid mount.  

OberFeldwebel

Lord Puffandsnuff III

Conservative Codger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 am
I will say this about the WASR-10 if you choose to buy it. You may save money on the gun, but if you want to hit anything past 200 yards, you'll need something besides the standard iron sights. Which coupled with the cost of the weapon, will set you back more than an expensive Yugo.

Personally I wouldn't want to buy a gun unless I could inspect it and hold it myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:27 pm
OberFeldwebel
$400 for a Yugo SKS?

... <******** thing you'll probably need to replace on the Yugo is the gas valve.
They used corrosive ammunition and didn't clean that part well so it's probably pitted and useless.
That's what I had to do for mine.
I'm looking at a Chinese 56, unfired, for 400 bucks. No need to replace anything on a rifle that's never been fired before.

Also, I have absolutely no intention of purchasing an AK-47. That kind of discussion would only come in if I was thinking "AK-47 or AR-15," but right now I'm really decided on a cheap, passably accurate (more so than an AK) intermediate caliber rifle. And, since I cannot afford an AR-15, and I'm rather partial to larger calibers, (also prefer an M1A, despite being full-sized, cannot afford) I chose to compromise with the SKS.

If you know of any good, reliable, preferably clip-fed rifles that fit that category, (better than the SKS, preferably) I'd like to hear about them. 3nodding  

Shrantic

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 pm
$400 is the higher of the going rate for a nice one.

$350-400 is apparently the range for a Chinese SKS.

Beaters being $200  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:18 am
Y'know, China made a Type 84 carbine that was an SKS manufactured to take AK mags. Price one of those, for shits and giggles. Not the Type 84 RIFLE though, that's an AKM.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 pm
Fresnel
Y'know, China made a Type 84 carbine that was an SKS manufactured to take AK mags. Price one of those, for shits and giggles. Not the Type 84 RIFLE though, that's an AKM.

I saw one of those SKSs here in Minnesota.
Guy was trying to sell it for $399.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:57 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

I saw one of those SKSs here in Minnesota.
Guy was trying to sell it for $399.
That's cheap. I'm seeing SKS-D's (same thing, but Russian) selling for $800+.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Hans Reiker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 pm
I bought a Chinese SKS off a friend's dad for 300 bucks, came with the thumbhole sporter stock, the original stock, a receiver cover with a scope, the original receiver cover. It's in pretty good condition, his dad collects rifles and treats them good, he parted with this SKS because he has two more, haha.

I put around 600 rounds of ammo through it, a combination of Wolf and Brown Bear, in one day. Not a single problem.

Alot of people rip on the Chinese SKS, I don't see why.  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games