Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
2010 - Year of the RPG? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 pm
Double posting cause im the god damn captain.

I highly recommend you kids read this thread: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52901

I've had this discussion before, but this articulates it again  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:36 pm
nitnit
Razull
nitnit
The only games on that list that I think are going to be really worth it is Mass Effect 2. Even so, that's hoping that Bioware has evolved their style from a well told story to a game where you actually develop and play a role (inside of a well told story). Honestly, the original didn't have many (any?) far reaching consequences, and what path you went down barely mattered.

I'm hoping that FFXIII, Fable 3, and Fallout New Vegas prove me wrong though.

Considering it's a three-game saga, it's going to take a while for all consequences to make their impact.

You make one real decision in that game, and it's at the end. Anyone who's played the game knows what it is. I don't know about you, but when I saw the ads for the game I thought that planets would be doomed if not saved, things like that.

So possibly wiping out a whole colony and saving or dooming two races aren't really big deals? Then there's choosing who on your team to save, if a certain krogan has become more trouble than he's worth and of course who to get romantically involved with.  

Cybylt

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:42 am
The only big decision I really remember is saving the council or letting it die. Well, ok choosing whether to eliminate the spider creatures or not. I don't remember the colony thing you speak of... (I also played the game a rather long time ago)

Which teammates you let die doesn't really effect the whole universe, and who you romantically are involved with doesn't either.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 pm
mmmmmmm krogan on sheapard action sweatdrop  

Tron714
Vice Captain

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 pm
My gag reflex just kicked in by reading that good sir.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:14 pm
nitnit
The only big decision I really remember is saving the council or letting it die. Well, ok choosing whether to eliminate the spider creatures or not. I don't remember the colony thing you speak of... (I also played the game a rather long time ago)

Which teammates you let die doesn't really effect the whole universe, and who you romantically are involved with doesn't either.

The human colony that's under the mind control from that underground creature, you could kill them or save them.

I'd kill the Council if ever given the chance, they hate your guts no matter what you do. Screw those guys.  

Cybylt

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:44 am
Oh, was that a side mission? If it was I must have missed it, and if it wasn't then my apologies, I must have forgot.

To be fair I do intend to play through the game again, specifically on the 360 this time so I can use the save data for Mass Effect 2, I originally played on the PC.

As for the link I posted, my point was that there seem to be wildly varying ideas as to what exactly an RPG is. I guess it'd be best if we as a gaming "society" specified whether a game was more like a JRPG, a western RPG, an MMO, or a different game type with leveling up added on.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:06 am
Games with RPG features as a side to the main thing are just called by whatever their intended genre is "with RPG Elements" such as shooters unlocking equipment by ranking levels and using experience points for the ranking.  

Cybylt

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:06 am
Has anyone looked at Mass Effect 2 interview vids? The game seems completely changed. The HUD is all different and it doesn't feel like Mass Effect to me gonk . Hopefully it turns out good.

Also, they took a few things from KOTOR. If your shepard has high Renegade, he starts to look more like saren does at the end of ME1. Starts to have robotic parts and glowing red eyes. I mean... that kinda doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully it will make better sense of it while i play the game.

Also, I got to finish my Paragon file soon!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 am
The only way that'd make sense to me is if renegade path has a power by any means ideal to him, meaning the mechanical parts would be shown, probably as a plot point choice.

Hell I'd do it as a paragon, Saren lived and breathed awesome and as a robot glowed neon blue win.

The game has become darker and more brutal in combat, so they adjusted the HUD to accommodate these changes and make it more accessible. They want to try to pass it off as more shooter oriented because the term RPG actually scares off a good amount of the consumer base in gaming these days.  

Cybylt

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 pm
Tron714
mmmmmmm krogan on sheapard action sweatdrop

cry  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:23 pm
Tron714
Haratio TaFotter
Now that I think about it, I don't see how Fable 3 can be a good thing. I had such high hopes for Fable 2, having been a pretty good gap between that and the first one, that I was a bit dissapponted: it was, more or less, two steps forward and a step back. Seeing as its only been about a year since Fable 2 was released, I just can't see that many improvements being made in this window of time. Unless I see some impressive game footage closer to the release date, than I'm gonna give this one a pass.

Fable 3 will use Project Natal which will be interestitng. I like the Fable IP but I am not in love with it. Maybe if Fable 3 gets some Civilizatoin system into it... it can redeem itself. I mean it would fit since you will be a king and all 3nodding

Yeah, Natal or not, I'm just not getting my hopes up is all. I was pumped for Fable 2 for six months: I beat it in two weeks (would have been less if I had had less homework at the time), and the DLC didn't add much.  

Haratio TaFotter

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm
Tron714
Project Natal

So does this involve high fiving your television for emotions and swinging wildly at it for combat?

Because honestly, this is why I don't play my Wii anymore.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:41 pm
nitnit
Tron714
Project Natal

So does this involve high fiving your television for emotions and swinging wildly at it for combat?

Because honestly, this is why I don't play my Wii anymore.

I high five and dance around my television anyways. The wii gives me a reason to do it and not look retarded and awkward.  

Jonnnn

Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces