Welcome to Gaia! ::

おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~ Open!

Back to Guilds

This is a guild where you learn and teach Japanese! There's roleplays, lessons, contests and more!This is also for people who love japan ! 

Tags: Japanese, learning, teaching, roleplays 

Reply おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~
Which romanization (romaji) system do you use?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sethra Logoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm
Considering all of us here at Gaia hail from different regions of the globe, I thought it would be prudent to ask which romaji system each of us is used to using, before we all try to learn off of one another. Things could potentially get confusing otherwise. (ie, Different spellings in romaji that are equally correct will probably pop up from time to time, and it's most likely none of us here like unnecessary arguments, yes?)

So, what system of romaji do you use?

There are three major systems for the romanization of Japanese (that I know of). They are Hepburn (Hebon-shiki), Japan-style (Nippon-shiki), and monbusho (Kunrei-shiki, also known as ISO 3602).

I am most familiar with the Hepburn system, although I do have a tendency to mix it with Kunrei spellings.

I will compile a set of examples of differences, for those who are unsure what system they use, or for those who are potentially mixing systems without being aware of it. (Please forgive me if it takes a bit of time, I work full time on top of going to school.)  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 pm
Sethra Logoth
Considering all of us here at Gaia hail from different regions of the globe, I thought it would be prudent to ask which romaji system each of us is used to using, before we all try to learn off of one another. Things could potentially get confusing otherwise. (ie, Different spellings in romaji that are equally correct will probably pop up from time to time, and it's most likely none of us here like unnecessary arguments, yes?)

So, what system of romaji do you use?

There are three major systems for the romanization of Japanese (that I know of). They are Hepburn (Hebon-shiki), Japan-style (Nippon-shiki), and monbusho (Kunrei-shiki, also known as ISO 3602).

I am most familiar with the Hepburn system, although I do have a tendency to mix it with Kunrei spellings.

I will compile a set of examples of differences, for those who are unsure what system they use, or for those who are potentially mixing systems without being aware of it. (Please forgive me if it takes a bit of time, I work full time on top of going to school.)

lol teach me  

mangafox93

6,500 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

iBrBz
Captain

Obsessive Poster

9,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:16 pm
im not really sure what i use actually, i just get it from my back and type itt on my computer. I will look inside my book to see if it says anything ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:38 pm
dont know this one.. XD  

Unloved Serenade

InsomniacNightlight

2,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Informer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 pm
iBrBz
im not really sure what i use actually, i just get it from my back and type itt on my computer. I will look inside my book to see if it says anything ^^

same here ^_^
this is the romaji site i use: http://www.dicts.info/2/english-japanese_romaji.php it works very well and is pretty acurate ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 pm
I use what i learned in my class and from my book. ;D Mutsumi sensei said translators and such on the internet arent correct..

Hailey Wayne

Hygienic Detective

5,850 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Issendai Xanthias

6,900 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:24 am
The hephurn is a romanji system which transcribe sound of japanese language into latiin alphabets. I think there is 2 versions of it. The shusei and hyojun. It is most widely use nowadays because it is oftenly seen in japanese-english dictionary xD Thats all I know about hebon shiki...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:21 pm
...I mostly use...hiragana???
xD
I'm learning to read kanji..so I dunno the styles.  

animexluverxnhu

Champion

8,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items