Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Starting C++

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zantetsken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:23 pm
Huh... I haven't really been here since 2006 when "Danno" was my main account.

Anyhow, I've started to learn C++. I have two ultimate goals:
1. To be able to create Nintendo DS homebrew software/games.
2. To make a 2D MMORPG.

Those aren't exactly the kinds of things a person would be doing overnight, though. I believe the best way to approach anything is to take it in smaller bites.
Want to get good at drawing? Don't do it as a whole - break it down to things like eyes, noses, face proportions, etc.
Want to get through that long day at work/school? Gee, 6-8 hours is a long time... But it'll just be 3-4 hours until lunch, so set lunch as your first goal, or if you have any breaks before that, set those as the goal.
Want a level up in that grindfest MMORPG? Take it a couple hours at a time rather than a single 20 hour sitting.

Anyhow, what are some small, reasonable goals I can set for myself with C++? If anyone has some ideas, please include arrays in some of them since I don't really understand where an array would be useful. Just give a rough outline of what the program should do, though; don't tell me how to do it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Try to create a tic tac toe game, or a blackjack game. Both are good uses for arrays.  

Arenlor

8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games