Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I CELEBRATE...
  (insert holiday here)
View Results

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm
I was curious since the non-American guildies probably feel left out with the Thanksgiving hubbub.

So this is more towards the out of country guild-buddies but anyone can input, maybe if your state has a special holiday that other states don't celebrate?

What region or country specific holidays do you celebrate?

As far as I know the only one's that Nevada have are Nevada Day and Family Day.
Family was basically an excuse to take the Friday after Thanksgiving off so we wouldn't have a random day in the middle of the week off and because no one would want to go to school that Friday anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 am
haha well you know I keep on pushing Bonfire Night on you guys...that's pretty much it.
Nowhere near as celebrated psuedo-christmasy as thanksgiving unfortunately, it's probably a bit more like the 4th of july (heck, it has the fireworks).

Other than that there's remembrance Sunday (which i think everyone has) on the sunday of the 11th november.

St george's day doesn't count because no english person actually knows when it is. They're more interested in pretending to be irish in order to get pissed on st patricks day (lol)

there's the queen's official and actual birthdays. but i've no idea when that is and we don't' really do much for it.

There's comic relief and chidlren in need charity events on tv which often have good comedians on, and the Royal variety Show *shrugs*

i think that's it.

Unless the Queen's due another jubilee soon or suddenly dies (bless 'er), then we've got a coronation on our hands, which should be epic but also depressing on account of the death ><  

dragontamer363
Crew

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:19 am
I think I've heard that thing about the Queen's official and actual birthdays before.
Why do they celebrate them on two different days?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 am
I'm not 100% sure lol
If i'm just guessing i suppose it might be so that all monarchs have a consistent birthday celebration - maybe back form when we had the empire and a whole bunch of colonies had to celebrate at once consistently.

I dunno, to be hoenst i never notice it's her official or unofficial birthday - they only made a big thing of it a couple of years ago because she was 80, but that celebration was practically all year.

hmm...

*googles*

ok according to 'woodlaands junior school 'british culture' website (lol - first one i found XD)

Why does Queen Elizabeth have two birthdays?

The QueenIt is every boy and girl's dream to have two birthdays in one year; well, our Queen is very lucky because she has two birthdays, one in April and one in June.

When is the Queen's real birthday?

The Queen's actual birthday is on 21 April, she was born on 21 April 1926.

When does the Queen have her public and official birthday?

It has long been customary to celebrate the Sovereign’s birthday publicly on a day during the summer, when better weather is more likely.

Since 1805, the Sovereign’s 'official' summer birthday has been marked by the Trooping the Colour ceremony, normally held on the second Saturday in June. It is also marked by the flying of the Union flag on government buildings, a 42-gun salute and the publication of the birthday honours list.

No particular ceremony is held on The Queen's true birthday, although the Union Flag is flown on public buildings.
Interesting Fact:
For the first seven years of Queen Elizabeth's reign, her birthday was celebrated officially on the second Thursday of June. But when midweek became inconvenient it was switched to Saturdays.

The Queens birthday is celebrated in other countries too:

Australians and New Zealanders mark the occasion in style by taking the day off work.

Most of Australia marks the official birthday on second Monday in June. Western Australia mark the official birthday on last Monday in September or first Monday in October.

In New Zealand, the first Monday in June is the Queen's official birthday.

Canadians celebrate Victoria Day

In Canada they have a statutory holiday on the third Monday of May that celebrates Queen Victoria. Canadians celebrate Victoria Day because she was the Monarch when Canada became an independent country in 1867.

However, these days the holiday does not have much to do with Britain or the royal family. For Canadians, it is the unofficial start to summer and is celebrated with outdoor activities such as camping, picnicking, opening cottages, and backyard barbeques with friends.  

dragontamer363
Crew

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Oh, that's really cool.
I learned something new today.

This April I should insist on taking off the Queen's birthday in respect for our majesty, even though I would still be in America, and see what people do.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:02 pm
lol if in doubt say you're half canadian :p  

dragontamer363
Crew

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:12 pm
I wonder how many people would buy it. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 pm
My girlfriend is German, and apparently a European thing is St. Nicholas Day. December 7th is basically Christmas for them, which is when "Santa gives them presents". They get gifts, spend time with family, etc etc. December 25th is normal Christmas, in which "Jesus gives them presents". I envied her greatly, Christmas comes twice a year for her. >:C

Any of the other Euro guildies heard of this?

Flyentologist

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:12 am
awesome, we don't have that over here.
then again i think we lost a lost of stuff when we Anglicanised the religion - like all the saints days and stuff  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:33 am
Goldman:
She celebrates Christmas twice a year? O:
*jealousjealousjealous*  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 am
I'd love to have Christmas twice.... heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 am
dragontamer363
then again i think we lost a lost of stuff when we Anglicanised the religion - like all the saints days and stuff
That sucks. :'(. Where in Europe are you?

Zizzykitty
Goldman:
She celebrates Christmas twice a year? O:
*jealousjealousjealous*
Yeah, I am too. D:

Moonlight_HuangHou
I'd love to have Christmas twice.... heart
Me too! DDD:

All I really want for Xmas this year are some Bose headphones and money to help pay the bills. Even if I had a second Christmas, I'd just be getting money. Which is still nothing to complain about. Lucky ol' Germans.

Flyentologist

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:55 am
iGoldman
dragontamer363
That sucks. :'(. Where in Europe are you?

England smile
*restrains self from denying i'm in europe* lol  
*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces