Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
USE OF THE WORD WICCA Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm
Goddess Aidos
It is based on belief, but also the surrounding of others who believe the same.
I think while often Wiccans share some beliefs, that it is not really "based" on belief- but the experiences and the Mysteries they bring a person. cat_3nodding Good luck with your seeking!

Rebel_Dynasty

I'm actually embarrassed; not too long ago, I was under the delusion that I was Wiccan.
I wouldn't call it a delusion- just a mistaken impression. cat_wink It's ok to be mistaken, it's how we deal with it after we find out that matters.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 pm
Esiris
Goddess Aidos
It is based on belief, but also the surrounding of others who believe the same.
I think while often Wiccans share some beliefs, that it is not really "based" on belief- but the experiences and the Mysteries they bring a person. cat_3nodding Good luck with your seeking!

Rebel_Dynasty

I'm actually embarrassed; not too long ago, I was under the delusion that I was Wiccan.
I wouldn't call it a delusion- just a mistaken impression. cat_wink It's ok to be mistaken, it's how we deal with it after we find out that matters.

Thanks. ^^; It took several months of mulling it over to come to terms with it. Now that I have, I feel pretty good. Particularly when I realized it wasn't my beliefs or practices that had been false for seven years, just the label I was using. Well, that, and the knowledge I'm not the first to have done this, and sadly, I won't be the last. I wish they'd stop using the word "Wicca" on those books, though. It only creates more confusion and discord.

What is your spiritual path? smile  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm
Rebel_Dynasty

I'm still seeking, but right now I'm training with a Gardnerian coven.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 pm
Esiris
Rebel_Dynasty

I'm still seeking, but right now I'm training with a Gardnerian coven.

Kudos. smile I wish you the best in your training, then.  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

SneakyLittlePooka

Interesting Gaian

2,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 am
I used to play this game a lot. Somewhere in the neighborhood of whenever it began.

(funny how some things never change, even the crap about the word 'Wicca' - which is mentioned more by Gardner as Wica in most of his writings, but I digress.)

For anyone on here that is NOT a Trad, particularly of the lines that stem from BTW, let me see if I can use metaphor and/or analogy to bring about understanding.

Firstly, Ninjas are cool. ninja How can you not like ninjas? BUT....you can like ninjas, teach yourself how to throw stars, do parkour to accomplish the feats some of them make....HOWEVER....if you do not FIND a real ninja , experience their true training, both physical, oral and spirtual....you, my friend, are still NOT A NINJA, no matter how accurate you are with a throwing star....plus, not everyone is cut out to be a NINJA. Some have health problems, some just don't have the strength of willpower. And even if you have all of these things....knowing where to find a true ninja might be problematic.

Secondly, I was a seeker for 25 years before I decided that I would actively seek a coven that I meshed well with. Some people find them automatically, other have lessons to learn before they find that cohesive, tiny group of people to work magic with. I was on both sides of the fence. As a SEEKER wanting to come into a TRADITION - you have to look at it as observing a foreign tribal people. You are coming forth to learn about a culture, not change it.

Our culture is just that, our culture. My stepmother studies the ancient Judaic ways, but that doesn't make her a Jew, by birth or by conversion. When you come into someone's home and they're washing dishes or folding towels, you don't say, "Hey, you're doing it wrong, you should do it like this."

That would e EXTREMELY rude. Like telling a Japanese person they MUST use a fork instead of chopsticks. And they would look at you like, "WTH?"

I joined the forum or serious discussions on Wicca and the Craft, which is beneficial to all degreed BTW kids. But it took me time and patience to learn that I was walking into another culture. Which is why Doreen Valiente wrote the Witches' Rede. It was a guideline on how do to business. "Speak ye little, listen much." It's not the end-all/be-all, it was a guideline on behavior and even references praxis.

So remember, folks. Our ways aren't your ways. And if you call yourself Wiccan, then you're an initiate. If you're not an initiate, you're a witch trying your damnest to emulate BTW. If it works for you, fine, but it still doesn't make you a Wica by the BTW standards.

Heck, before I was ever initiated, they referred to my knife as a ceremonial knife. Because only the Wica have an athame. *shrug* It's just part of the BTW culture.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm
SneakyLittlePooka
I used to play this game a lot. Somewhere in the neighborhood of whenever it began.

(funny how some things never change, even the crap about the word 'Wicca' - which is mentioned more by Gardner as Wica in most of his writings, but I digress.)

For anyone on here that is NOT a Trad, particularly of the lines that stem from BTW, let me see if I can use metaphor and/or analogy to bring about understanding.

Firstly, Ninjas are cool. ninja How can you not like ninjas? BUT....you can like ninjas, teach yourself how to throw stars, do parkour to accomplish the feats some of them make....HOWEVER....if you do not FIND a real ninja , experience their true training, both physical, oral and spirtual....you, my friend, are still NOT A NINJA, no matter how accurate you are with a throwing star....plus, not everyone is cut out to be a NINJA. Some have health problems, some just don't have the strength of willpower. And even if you have all of these things....knowing where to find a true ninja might be problematic.

Secondly, I was a seeker for 25 years before I decided that I would actively seek a coven that I meshed well with. Some people find them automatically, other have lessons to learn before they find that cohesive, tiny group of people to work magic with. I was on both sides of the fence. As a SEEKER wanting to come into a TRADITION - you have to look at it as observing a foreign tribal people. You are coming forth to learn about a culture, not change it.

Our culture is just that, our culture. My stepmother studies the ancient Judaic ways, but that doesn't make her a Jew, by birth or by conversion. When you come into someone's home and they're washing dishes or folding towels, you don't say, "Hey, you're doing it wrong, you should do it like this."

That would e EXTREMELY rude. Like telling a Japanese person they MUST use a fork instead of chopsticks. And they would look at you like, "WTH?"

I joined the forum or serious discussions on Wicca and the Craft, which is beneficial to all degreed BTW kids. But it took me time and patience to learn that I was walking into another culture. Which is why Doreen Valiente wrote the Witches' Rede. It was a guideline on how do to business. "Speak ye little, listen much." It's not the end-all/be-all, it was a guideline on behavior and even references praxis.

So remember, folks. Our ways aren't your ways. And if you call yourself Wiccan, then you're an initiate. If you're not an initiate, you're a witch trying your damnest to emulate BTW. If it works for you, fine, but it still doesn't make you a Wica by the BTW standards.

Heck, before I was ever initiated, they referred to my knife as a ceremonial knife. Because only the Wica have an athame. *shrug* It's just part of the BTW culture.

Yup. I'd been gone so long from here, that I made a new avatar and didn't remember what email this account went to. eek  

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games