Reverend MacManus
Crew

OG Bibliophile

16,500 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Punk Patrol 250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 am
While in a discussion with our famed founder, we happened to get on the discussion of hair metal. And while I personally believe it was more a form of rock, I'm going to try and dissect it a bit and point to why exactly we can call it a form of metal, and how love it or hate it, it had its place in metal.

First and foremost, while it didn't lyrically share much with the more conceptual metal of the time, with mythology, demons, war and politics being mainstay themes; it did possess its own realm that early thrash metal would also share. Hair metal was lyrically based around good times, getting drunk and women. While not as widespread, thrash metal also lends itself to the concept of being drunk and having women, though it was more about angst and being drunk and violent. Sort of in that hardcore punk way that was at its peak at the time.

Musically it was a bridge, and sort of a catch all. It had arena rock chord progressions, melodic yet wicked guitar solos, driving root note bass lines and powerful kick drums both to tap your feet to. Now while guitarists seemed to blend in and look alike in many ways, some more exceptional guitarists do stand out. Examples? Slash of Guns 'n Roses. Arguably later hair metal, George Lynch of Dokken. Jake E. Lee of Ratt went on to become an Ozzy guitarist. So you know these guys had to be up on their chops, and present their own personalities. If you know of others, feel free to discuss them and their respective bands here.

With the guitars being distorted, the hair being wild and some of these guys rocking more spandex than professional wrestlers, it's no wonder that they have their place amongst metal. While some albums may not be raw, but over produced, and many of these musicians seem as if they're not "one of us," there are still a few metalheads out there that enjoy this genre, so I felt it needed a good nod.

I mean, hell, I can't say I'd personally mind being Slash's bassist. I bet that guy's pretty chill now that he's cleaned up a bit. Oh, and how could I forget rockers Motley Crue or Skid Row? Poison? But Poison is another story. They took the glam look a little too far, and not even Twisted Sister cool...

Anyways, I've set the stage. Time for you guys to discuss!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm
OOC: I can't follow that up, you stated it all D:

It's a shame that George Lynch and Don Dokken had such a bitter rivalry. They were a damn good band.

CFO Charles Ofdensen
Vice Captain

AgentKaz

Fashionable Glitch

24,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:28 am
That's my very favorite form of metal! The screamyness! The spandex! The colorful colors and makeup! The epictastic hair of epicness!

My mom's a big hair metal fan, and I seem to have inherited it. xd

Also: LIMOZEEEEEEEN.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm
I Agree grew up on that and *sigh* KISS who i love as well  

SIDeshow19

Other Music [Like other metal bands? Talk about them here!]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items