Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
Carolina Parakeet o-o

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 pm
Have you ever hear of the Carolina Parakeet?
It's extinct now, but being the parrot freak I am, I've been trying to research stuff about it.
So far this is the best info I've gotten from a site-

The Carolina parakeet was a small parrot about 12 inches long that weighed about 10 ounces. This native parrot was splendidly colorful as its body was bright green crowned with a yellow head and an orange face and bill. A small patch of yellow was on its wings.
The Carolina parakeet was a noisy bird due to its constant chattering, so its presence was very noticeable. The bird’s alarm cry and distress call could be heard for up to two miles. The distress call of a Carolina parakeet would cause the whole flock to rally to the distressed bird. As a result, entire flocks were shot as the birds rallied around a wounded bird.
The actual date when the Carolina parakeet became extinct in its natural range is unknown but some ornithologists believe a few individuals survived until the late 1940s or early 1950s in Florida and South Carolina.

I think it's really sad that they were killed off because of their noise.
What're your opinions?

Here's a picture. And yes. Its stuffed. Can't find a live picture of one.

http://www.everhart-museum.org/Education/Kids/KidsImages/Carolina.jpg

And here's a painted picture, that's not quite so disturbing >->

http://www.lib.fit.edu/pubs/librarydisplays/Carolina_parakeet.jpg

And before I post this, I just want to say.
I've seen a LOT of parrots, but this is one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen.
So hmph to the people that killed any of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:08 am
Wow, who would have thought america had wild parrots at one point? That makes me really angry it was killed because of its noise though. The bird is about as pretty as a sun conure!  

Ikara Emberhawk

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 am
I know!
And I'm a parrot fanatic so if I get a time machine I'm bringing some Carolina Parakeets with me, haha.
A lot of parrots are endangered now.
It's really, really sad.

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces