Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Threefold-law

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:51 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I Just read.
Every Action effects us on three levels; Mind, Body, and Spirit. This is called the Threefold law.

This makes A lot more sense than that It comes back to you three times as powerful.

What are you View on this Take on the Threefold law.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:06 am
Lucas Moonrose

I Just read.
Every Action effects us on three levels; Mind, Body, and Spirit. This is called the Threefold law.

This makes A lot more sense than that It comes back to you three times as powerful.

Pretty much this but the three-fold law really isn't part of my religion.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 am
rmcdra
Lucas Moonrose

I Just read.

I was merely asking about your take on this version.
This goes a lot better with Morals without the scary "If I kill someone someones gonna kill three of my Family members"
It's more of a "How will I feel if I do this? How Will my Spirit React if I do this?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:34 am
Lucas Moonrose
rmcdra
Lucas Moonrose

I Just read.

I was merely asking about your take on this version.
This goes a lot better with Morals without the scary "If I kill someone someones gonna kill three of my Family members"
It's more of a "How will I feel if I do this? How Will my Spirit React if I do this?"

I'm saying I agree with your take on the Three-fold law and that's how I pretty much see it myself.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:13 am
I personally don't see the need to divide thought into three - if I'm thinking about the consequences of an action, I am already thinking about it on all levels. I don't have a problem with it, really - it might help other people keep their thoughts organized and make them think more clearly - but for myself I don't need to split myself off into what I see as false dichotomies.

My reasoning for that is along the lines of trying to maintain my Self as unified. I've spent a long time working on myself as an entire being; while it makes sense at times to work only on specific aspects of ones' self, you still have to integrate that work back into the whole at the end of it. Our society encourages people to compartmentalize, fragment, and split ourselves up into different people for different things, and it's something I really feel is detrimental in the long term - it makes us self-hating, neurotic, perfectionists. A lot of people lose the real essence of themselves that way - hense why I attempt to avoid it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 am
Quote:

I view it in this way as well. Oddly enough I had come to the conclusion on my own, before I had ever seen it mentioned in print (there is a thing in my journal on it). It was sort of funny, because at the time I had thought I had come up with some amazing new insight, only to find out that it wasn't. sweatdrop  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 am
Morgandria
I personally don't see the need to divide thought into three - if I'm thinking about the consequences of an action, I am already thinking about it on all levels. I don't have a problem with it, really - it might help other people keep their thoughts organized and make them think more clearly - but for myself I don't need to split myself off into what I see as false dichotomies.

My reasoning for that is along the lines of trying to maintain my Self as unified. I've spent a long time working on myself as an entire being; while it makes sense at times to work only on specific aspects of ones' self, you still have to integrate that work back into the whole at the end of it. Our society encourages people to compartmentalize, fragment, and split ourselves up into different people for different things, and it's something I really feel is detrimental in the long term - it makes us self-hating, neurotic, perfectionists. A lot of people lose the real essence of themselves that way - hense why I attempt to avoid it.
Personally I don't see this view as dividing actions per se but as a reminder that all actions have an effect on our three levels of being. No action affects just one aspect of the Self but the totality of the Self. Though I come from a tradition that comes to understanding that the Self is one by examining it in terms of three and two. I will admit though that world hating and self-hating are two potential traps within the system I am following and have to remain aware to avoid them among others.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:37 am
rmcdra
Morgandria

Personally I don't see this view as dividing actions per se but as a reminder that all actions have an effect on our three levels of being. No action affects just one aspect of the Self but the totality of the Self. Though I come from a tradition that comes to understanding that the Self is one by examining it in terms of three and two. I will admit though that world hating and self-hating are two potential traps within the system I am following and have to remain aware to avoid them among others.

A lot of the Media today focuses on making you hate yourself, The way you look, Act, and who you are as a whole. If you aren't this you aren't worthy. I call bullshit on that and that alot of the media should be burned. Kill. it. With. Fire.
Media is one of the things Butchering Wicca and Paganism while putting the Majorities at the top. But still.... =/

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 am
hhmm...i like this take on the law of three. but i personally prefer the "it comes back threefold" better. but perhaps they are both the same? oh well. that's just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:40 am
This version is interesting. I've heard of it before and, to be honest, it makes way more sense to me than the common version.

I just see it ringing true and it gives the actor more control. Instead of everything coming back to you three times over...which leaves the person little control over a situation...This version here allows the person to grow up a bit and learn from their mistakes.  

doistu

Starlock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:35 pm
It's interesting to consider that if the Threefold Law is not taken in this manner, it becomes the equivalent for Witchcraft of certain other religion's fear-mongering to inspire good behavior. Christians are told they'll go to hell in the afterlife, and we're told we'll get screwed over three times in this life. Fear can certainly inspire moral behavior, but one has to wonder if it is a preferred method.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games