Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Old Game Formulas that still make great games today

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 pm
So basically I just got done playing a little of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and it just hit me of how great it was to play this platformer again. I mean I felt the same way when I played the demo of Shadow Complex which uses the 2D metroid gameplay. It just worked. I am pretty sure there are another old game formula's, if done resurrected correctly, can make a great new IP.

Discuss!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:30 pm
Most old game formulas are still being used today. What I'd like to see is a new 2D JRPG. One made in the same fashion as final fantasies 4-6, but on an even grander scale since technology is so much greater.  

nitnit
Captain

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:36 pm
FPS are doing well  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:09 pm
nitnit
Most old game formulas are still being used today. What I'd like to see is a new 2D JRPG. One made in the same fashion as final fantasies 4-6, but on an even grander scale since technology is so much greater.
I'm sure most JRPG fans would love something like this, but I'm sure it will never happen unless some company decides to bandwagon Capcom and create something based entirely on an old formula.  

Raike99

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 pm
If I had programming ability I've had this incredible jRPG involving a ton of old games planned out in my head for a long time now.

If only.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:43 pm
I remember you brought that up in a thread about two years ago.  

Raike99

Cybylt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:42 pm
Look up RPGMaker VX.

And define "old formulas." By most accounts, JRPGs for the most part haven't changed much aside from the ones that try to incorporate direct action like Star Ocean or Tales which over the course of their titles haven't really changed much either.

The only big change has been moving from 2D to 3D. Look at Persona, the fight system is almost exactly like the old 2D games and they're amazing titles. Shin Megami Tensei as a whole really, Strange Journey and Devil Survivor on the DS are great examples of old-school play with modern touches on plot and character development.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 pm
i liked chrono trigger's mixed combo of using co-op attacks, amazed no one else used this  

The Ginger Dude

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:08 pm
The Ginger Dude
i liked chrono trigger's mixed combo of using co-op attacks, amazed no one else used this

Actually a fair number of jRPGs used that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 pm
i mean in wrpg's, i know in j they use pretty much use others formulas  

The Ginger Dude

williwonk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:47 pm
ninja Yeah it should be great but im just thinking how the industry could just exploit the old games trying to make them better but only making it worst and ruins the idea. And that has happen before.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 pm
Ginger Dude - It would really depend on the wRPG. Those combo moves only work well in games with ATB systems, or where pulling one off requires some level of strategy.  

nitnit
Captain

The Ginger Dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:50 pm
True  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
nitnit
If I had programming ability I've had this incredible jRPG involving a ton of old games planned out in my head for a long time now.

If only.

I have actually made a RPG type game for AP Comp Sci. It took me a month to make 1 level but for a finished grade I turned it into a Gladiator rpg. If I ever wanted to dread coding to make a RPG I am your man! It would probably take a year to make. Gameplay though would look like Dragon Warriors haha xD  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces