Reply Survival (NOW OPEN)
Back to the Basics. we all fail.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:03 pm
You have probably seen the responses for the Almighty BOB list in one of the earlier stages of the subforum. I posted:

Quote:
Packed:
4 packs of gum
40 12 ga. slugs
35 rds. #4 and #6 mixed
3 glowsticks
1 can sterno
1 bag of teabags
bosun's whistle
1 cleaning kit
200 cleaning patches
WD40 (still need to pack it)
1 bag of salt, pepper, ketchup
1 bag of...bags
1 cheap poncho
2 walkie talkies
72' 1/4" poly rope
1 knife sharpener
1 box 250 matches
1 bag sunflower seeds
6 granola bars
2 cans bug spray
camo bugsuit
packsaw
shake flashlight
580 yds. 20# mono
hachet
3 different state maps
notebook
3 pencils + 1 pen
1 tactical folding knife
2 multitools
2 rolls duct tape
1 man tent

need:
food (canned would be nice)
water (canteen, bota bag, bottles)
shotgun
compass out of my truck
1st aid kit out of truck
spare clothes

optional:
bow (if I get good enough)
K-1 gas mask
chisakatana or willow leaf broadsword
inflatable boat & air pump

Anyone notice something missing? Something pretty important? Something obvious? A simple AM/FM radio for one. It seems that in all the excitement to pack an OPERATIONALLY OPERATING OPERATOR EXTENDED SUPER SURVIVALIST KIT, I overlooked one of the most basic of basic of items to carry. Even worse, it is said countless times in PSAs for hurricane, tornado, etc., etc. on TV. So why am I making this topc you ask? Well, I feel it is important to learn from others' mistakes so they don't get repeated. I think we should all take a fresh look at our own gear and compare it to what is recommended to the everyday person and go from there. I probably don't need 200+ rds. of assorted shotgun ammo packed. (though available is nice) as well. Some other useless items not posted are also likely to be removed. I also need a better compass. How does everyone else stack up?

TL;DR - PACK A DAMN RADIO NAO!
go to fail. go directly to fail. do not pass go. do not collect 200 internets.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:25 pm
I've been thinking of stuff to put in a truck box (because I finally have a truck!) that would be similar to a BOB. But I never considered a radio in my BOB because I'd have my MP3 player with me, and it's got a radio in it. Here's my current truck box list:

Duct tape
Multitool
WD40
Butane lighter/matches
A few various shotgun shells (when I have my shotgun)
Bottle of aspirin
Bandaids/bandaging stuff
Glock knife
Flashlight
Flare gun
Glowsticks
Cheap poncho
Para cord

Probably too much there to fit in a small toolbox. The flare gun isn't necessary, but I've always wanted an excuse to have one.

Also, aren't flares 12-gauge? Theoretically, couldn't one fire shot from a flare gun? I mean the recoil would be horrendous of course... Can flares be fired in shotguns?

EDIT: According to Google Flare gun + Buckshot = Hand grenade mrgreen

Not like I would have ever tried it anyway. That's what YouTube is for--to watch other idiots do things.  

ArmasTermin

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:05 am
ArmasTermin
I've been thinking of stuff to put in a truck box (because I finally have a truck!) that would be similar to a BOB. But I never considered a radio in my BOB because I'd have my MP3 player with me, and it's got a radio in it. Here's my current truck box list:

Duct tape
Multitool
WD40
Butane lighter/matches
A few various shotgun shells (when I have my shotgun)
Bottle of aspirin
Bandaids/bandaging stuff
Glock knife
Flashlight
Flare gun
Glowsticks
Cheap poncho
Para cord

Probably too much there to fit in a small toolbox. The flare gun isn't necessary, but I've always wanted an excuse to have one.

Also, aren't flares 12-gauge? Theoretically, couldn't one fire shot from a flare gun? I mean the recoil would be horrendous of course... Can flares be fired in shotguns?

EDIT: According to Google Flare gun + Buckshot = Hand grenade mrgreen

Not like I would have ever tried it anyway. That's what YouTube is for--to watch other idiots do things.

That is a good idea. Even if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere, it is good to have.

As for the flaregun, shotshell+flaregun = probable death. There is one youtube video where someone tied a string to the flare gun and stood way back. A piece of shrapnel almost took out the camera. The plastic is not meant to take the pressure of a live round and will explode almost every time. Even the old metal ones are out of the question. As for the flare in a shotgun, I tried to see if they would load into and eject out of a 3 1/2" chamber, which it did with no problem. I did not fire one. I think it all depended on the choke if I recall correctly. If it is too tight, the flare will get stuck and burn out in the barrel. Not a pretty picture. If you really needed it to save your life though, do it. What I am getting at is; keep each to their own and you will be much better off.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:08 am
Sounds reasonable. A flare would probably be okay in a cylinder bore, but I did some reading online that described melting barrels and whatnot.

Not something I want. lol

I don't know why I had it in my mind that since cases don't rupture in the barrel they wont rupture outside of one. It's the barrel that keeps them intact. I know that full well but was, for whatever reason, thinking the thin, plastic walls of a $40 Wal Mart flare gun would contain that.

Momentary stupidity is always fun to look back on, so long as you're able to look back on it.  

ArmasTermin

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:32 pm
I've bee nconsidering 12 gauge flares, but they look bigger than 3 1/2". Oh, and the 26.5mm-to-12g conversions are a hell of a lot shorter than 2.75, they're designed for "12 gauge SHORT" flares. I mean, flares would be interesting ot have, but I've never figured out how to use them in your standard 3" shotguns, since all I can find are the ones that practically have their own barrel on them.

Now, otherwise, I HAVE been considering an old 26.5mm launcher and some of the Czech flares out.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 pm
I've seen flares made for 12-gauge shotguns, but I think they're just "fly up, float down" flares. I'd be interested to buy a parachute flare for a shotgun. I could see some real use for that. Never seen paraflares in anything less than 40mm, though. I would consider buying a 37mm underbarrel flaregun if I could get paraflares in 37mm. They're not incredibly expensive, and they look cool as ********.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:45 pm
Fresnel
I've seen flares made for 12-gauge shotguns, but I think they're just "fly up, float down" flares. I'd be interested to buy a parachute flare for a shotgun. I could see some real use for that. Never seen paraflares in anything less than 40mm, though. I would consider buying a 37mm underbarrel flaregun if I could get paraflares in 37mm. They're not incredibly expensive, and they look cool as ******** class="clear">
All I can find for 37 is smoke.

They make parachute flares in 25mm, but that's ONLY Orion, and they ONLY shoot in their guns, because they're the only ones who make a 25mm flare launcher!
Though it looks like they either stopped making them, or they don't sell them anymore, since they aren't listed on the site.
Used to, then.
They DO sell several stand-alone parachute flares, and one parachute ROCKET.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:34 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
I've seen flares made for 12-gauge shotguns, but I think they're just "fly up, float down" flares. I'd be interested to buy a parachute flare for a shotgun. I could see some real use for that. Never seen paraflares in anything less than 40mm, though. I would consider buying a 37mm underbarrel flaregun if I could get paraflares in 37mm. They're not incredibly expensive, and they look cool as ******** class="clear">

They make parachute flares in 25mm, but that's ONLY Orion, and they ONLY shoot in their guns, because they're the only ones who make a 25mm flare launcher!
Though it looks like they either stopped making them, or they don't sell them anymore, since they aren't listed on the site.
Used to, then.
Huh. I found a handful of hand-held white parachute flares, but they run $60-$70 each. Though I did find a site selling M203s, and they're surprisingly inexpensive. Under 2k. Even AmmoToGo has 40mm white paraflares, as well as 40mm chalk training. This other guy sells HE, buckshot, and a reloadable 'beehive' round that takes 10 .22LR rounds and a large pistol primer.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:46 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel

Used to, then.
Huh. I found a handful of hand-held white parachute flares, but they run $60-$70 each. Though I did find a site selling M203s, and they're surprisingly inexpensive. Under 2k. Even AmmoToGo has 40mm white paraflares, as well as 40mm chalk training. This other guy sells HE, buckshot, and a reloadable 'beehive' round that takes 10 .22LR rounds and a large pistol primer.
Only problem with the 40 is that it's a DD and requires the tax and waiting period. HE rounds are DDs in and of themselves and require the tax and waiting period for every single one, AS WELL as having to built your own storage building that meets federal requirements for the storage of explosive materials.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel

Used to, then.
Only problem with the 40 is that it's a DD and requires the tax and waiting period. HE rounds are DDs in and of themselves and require the tax and waiting period for every single one, AS WELL as having to built your own storage building that meets federal requirements for the storage of explosive materials.
Yeah, but it's still under 2k even with the tax. I might actually go for it. And yeah HE rounds are DD's, but I don't see myself buying any of those. A handful of practice rounds, a couple paraflares, a couple smokes, maybe a star flare for the Fourth or New Year's.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel

Used to, then.

That sounds like it would be a shitload of fun!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 am
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Fresnel

Used to, then.

That sounds like it would be a shitload of fun!
Doesn't it just? The only killer is that it costs more than an HE with the DD tax. On the upside, it's reusable, and doesn't take six months to get.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Survival (NOW OPEN)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas