Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
FFVII remake announced Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm
nitnit
Problems with 8:

- "realistic" graphics were a downgrade from 7

- plot was overly convoluted and nonsensical (even more than the harshest criticisms of 7)

- same goes with the battle system

The graphics... Pre-rendered backgrounds were often more detailed than things in the foreground.

The plot was pretty straightforward: This is Squall, and we're gonna get him hooked up with this girl. The side-story is that he's gonna occasionally hallucinate that he's some other hero. Eventually he'll find himself fighting against some lady from the future, leading to a time loop that makes my head hurt.

The battle system... Draw magic that you'll never cast so that the junctioned stat is higher.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm
Raike99
But Nit, flamboyantly dressed whiny male leads are the staple of every jRPG.

But Raike, the genre is constantly criticized for never changing and having unbelievably bland characters. The crazier they look, the less personality they tend to have.  

Cybylt

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm
Well, i personally think that the flamboyantness of the characters add style and personality to the game and it would provide an interesting platform to the RPG genre  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 pm
Raike99

*points to FF4, FF6, FF7 and Chrono Trigger; all of which are the most highly critically acclaimed jRPGs and all lack flamboyantly dressed whiny male leads*

Mind you I have no problem with flamboyantly dressed characters... Kefka is one of my all time favorite characters, it's just I like to option to not play as one.  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 pm
ZenWolf65
Well, i personally think that the flamboyantness of the characters add style and personality to the game and it would provide an interesting platform to the RPG genre

To rephrase, they wanted something distracting to draw attention away from the lack of actual personality.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have style and substance together, just that JRPGs tend to pick just the former and largely ignore the latter.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 am
FFVII Remake Currently Not Being Made

They'll get to it eventually, but it's not the surprise they have coming up right now.  

Cybylt

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm
ZenWolf65

So you really think Zidane, Cloud, and Vaan are great characters? They're boring, one dimensional, and whiny. Cloud and Vaan's voice actors made the problem much worse.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm
Cybylt
FFVII Remake Currently Not Being Made

They'll get to it eventually, but it's not the surprise they have coming up right now.

Somehow this does not surprise me. With FF7 as a Pay-to-download game (I think?), on PSN, they were probably hoping to ease the pressure off the fanbase and with all the expectations for this, no one in their right mind would want to attempt remaking such a game. Plus they still have FF XIII and Versus to get through. It's been... 2-3 years now that those games have been in development?  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Cybylt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:10 am
XIII has been in development since the start of the gen. And all old announcements of the remake were saying "we'll get to it eventually" they just wanted to clarify on it.

Correction - FF13 was originally meant to be on PS2... so yeah.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:50 am
They Should remake FFVI & FFVII and come out with KH3 it would be sweet  

Master Xero_01

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 am
FFX is perfect btw.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 pm
Well, another producer over at Square has said that a remake is probably not going to happen, saying it would take too long.

Quote:
Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase has once again re-iterated the point that the long discussed Final Fantasy VII remake probably won't happen, this time saying that it would take too long to make.

Source

When the guy who took six+ years and a whole generation of consoles to make one game says it'd take too long, you're kinda out of hope.

Also X was filled with far too much whining to be perfect.  

Cybylt

Lestelle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 pm
nitnit
Raike99

*points to FF4, FF6, FF7 and Chrono Trigger; all of which are the most highly critically acclaimed jRPGs and all lack flamboyantly dressed whiny male leads*

Mind you I have no problem with flamboyantly dressed characters... Kefka is one of my all time favorite characters, it's just I like to option to not play as one.
Hm, and who draws most of the flamboyantly dressed characters? Nomura. His style is alright most of the time, but I wish they'd do someone else for a change. I looove Akihiko Yoshida, though he should've given Vaan a shirt under that vest.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff