Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
MOA WTF?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:05 pm
This may sound like a newbish question, but what exactly does MOA stand for? I figured that it was probably "minute of angle" but then I saw 2 MOA, 3MOA, etc. Using the same logic, I would guess that it would mean 2" and 3" groups, but why don't people just say that then? How close am I?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 pm
It is Minute of Arc/Angle. What it means, like you said, is 1MOA roughly equals a 1 inch group at 100 meters. More importantly, though, is that it can be extrapolated out to any effective range of a firearm. It provides a consistent measure of accuracy at any range, 3 MOA at 100m is as "tight" a group as 3 MOA at 800m.

It's a way to measure accuracy that doesn't depend on range.  

Tier One OPERATOR

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Horrified Survivor
It is Minute of Arc/Angle. What it means, like you said, is 1MOA roughly equals a 1 inch group at 100 meters.
2" at 200, 3" at 300...

Just thought it should be said.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:18 pm
Okay, I haven't posted for a while because frankly, I was still a bit confused. I think I have it now. Thanks guys.  

Man of the Demoneye

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 pm
more elaborately put 1 minute of angle is 1/60th of a degree (60 minutes in an hour, get it?) As you move out to 100yards it ends up being very close to one inch deviation for each 1/60th of a degree that the muzzle moves.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 pm
So correct me if I'm wrong, but does the MOA mean that ideally, there should be a space within one inch that the bullet should hit at 100 meters? Or am I completely off?  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

090Freak090

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:22 am
Requiem in Mortis
So correct me if I'm wrong, but does the MOA mean that ideally, there should be a space within one inch that the bullet should hit at 100 meters? Or am I completely off?

1 MOA is one inch variance in the Point of Impact at 100 yards. So, based on the assumption that your rifle can provide accuracy 1 moa or less. However just because a rifle can provide 1 moa accuracy doesn;t mean that the shooter can shoot with 1 moa precision.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 pm
It's just a basic Angular Deviation dealio. I use a variant in my MOS, but it's called OF Factor. Multiply my angular readings (in Mils) by the factor to get the distance from one point to another. Multiply the MOA by the number of hundred meters!  

uryu ishida

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff