Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Para Cord and Slings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm
I want a sling for my shotgun, and thought it could be fun to make one out of that fancy military-grade para cord. Problem is, there's no sling mount on the stock. The gun came with two little screws with the holes to loop in the metal clasps that hold the sling ends, but there's only a place to put one on the end of the magazine tube, not the stock.

So I'm thinking I have to either a) buy a new stock or b)tie the thing around the current stock. And I like the current stock, I don't want to get rid of it.

Come to think of it, that second screw with the hole through the top probably goes into the pistol grip when it's attached. But that doesn't help me.

I can't imagine a way to wrap around the stock without it getting in the way. Any ideas?

Also, I'm going to look online for knot tying guides for a flat, wide-sitting knot to make the body of the sling from, since it obviously can't just be a single line of cord. But if anyone knows of said guides off the top of their head, feel free to tell me about them. I remember someone posted a topic a while ago about a para cord belt, but I just can't manage to remember who it was... Well anyway... biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 am
ArmasTermin
I want a sling for my shotgun, and thought it could be fun to make one out of that fancy military-grade para cord. Problem is, there's no sling mount on the stock. The gun came with two little screws with the holes to loop in the metal clasps that hold the sling ends, but there's only a place to put one on the end of the magazine tube, not the stock.

So I'm thinking I have to either a) buy a new stock or b)tie the thing around the current stock. And I like the current stock, I don't want to get rid of it.

Come to think of it, that second screw with the hole through the top probably goes into the pistol grip when it's attached. But that doesn't help me.

I can't imagine a way to wrap around the stock without it getting in the way. Any ideas?

Also, I'm going to look online for knot tying guides for a flat, wide-sitting knot to make the body of the sling from, since it obviously can't just be a single line of cord. But if anyone knows of said guides off the top of their head, feel free to tell me about them. I remember someone posted a topic a while ago about a para cord belt, but I just can't manage to remember who it was... Well anyway... biggrin
It's not impossible to drill a hole yourself and put in a sling swivel. They sell them at Wal-Mart for sure, and probably most other places. You just have to be careful to make the hole straight.

Also, that was me with the paracord belt. This isn't the weave I used, but it's very similar and looks perfect for what you want. It looks like it's using two separate strands of paracord... I think you're going to want about 50' for each strand. Mine is a simpler weave using one strand, and 45' got me about a 34" belt.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

war_junky 91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:17 am
I would say maybe for attatching it to the stock you could use one of those elastic sleeves that fit over the stock and hold extra shells, but if you are any good with sewing cut a little notch or two, reinforce the area with stitching (i recommend a sewing machine) and attatch the sling there, the only problem i could forsee if is the sleeve would slip but a modification for that would be taking a thing strong material of similiar color, stitching it to the sleeve so that it ran under the buttplate and held it in place. Thats just a little two minute idea, poke holes in it as you will. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am
war_junky 91
I would say maybe for attatching it to the stock you could use one of those elastic sleeves that fit over the stock and hold extra shells, but if you are any good with sewing cut a little notch or two, reinforce the area with stitching (i recommend a sewing machine) and attatch the sling there, the only problem i could forsee if is the sleeve would slip but a modification for that would be taking a thing strong material of similiar color, stitching it to the sleeve so that it ran under the buttplate and held it in place. Thats just a little two minute idea, poke holes in it as you will. 4laugh

To build on this idea, if it was something like this with a piece that slips around the butt, it would work, but if it is the same kind as I have holding extra shells on my 870, it would slip all over the place too easily.

I would have to go with the screw in idea Fresnel said. It seems that it would be easy, especailly with a wood stock and work just fine for what you would need.  

Man of the Demoneye

Ubasti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:46 am
Fresnel
It's not impossible to drill a hole yourself and put in a sling swivel. They sell them at Wal-Mart for sure
They sell guns at Walmart? Damn. I thought they were hell of prissy about what they sell.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 pm
Ubasti
Fresnel
It's not impossible to drill a hole yourself and put in a sling swivel. They sell them at Wal-Mart for sure
They sell guns at Walmart? Damn. I thought they were hell of prissy about what they sell.
They used to sell guns. Now they only sell ammunition and accessories.  

Shrantic

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 pm
The drilling a hole to affix the stud idea seems like a good one, but I don't trust myself to do it. I just know I'd mess up, and there's no going back after that. It would be unsightly forever.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:08 pm
Shrantic
Ubasti
Fresnel
Viva Arizona. We've got two ******** racks of guns at my local one (one for rifles, one for shotguns and muzzleloaders), and an entire wall unit at the other one I visit occasionally.

@Armas: You know someone who does professional woodworking? You might ask a favor all small-town-like, and get the guy to drill one hole for you, because you don't trust yourself to do it. I don't trust myself either, but my neighbor is a cabinet maker, and if I had to...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm
Fresnel
Shrantic
Ubasti
Fresnel
Viva Arizona. We've got two ******** racks of guns at my local one (one for rifles, one for shotguns and muzzleloaders), and an entire wall unit at the other one I visit occasionally.
Lucky b*****d. xP  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Shrantic
Fresnel
Shrantic
Ubasti
Fresnel
Lucky b*****d. xP

The Walmart near me has 2 revolving cases of about 10 each. One is shotguns, the other is .22 rifles. Only 2 or 3 are bigger than .22 'cause it isn't legal to shoot a rifle in that area.

Hmm, that makes me think. How would pistol caliber carbines work on deer? Rifles are illegal to shoot around me (I do support this law), but how would the pistol caliber carbine fit in there? I have a feeling I will swing by the local DNR office tomorrow. Only thing I'm concerned with is that a rifle must have 1200 ft./lbs. at the muzzle for deer in my state. Not sure if that applies to all guns. I guess what I'm asking is are pistol caliber carbines still considered rifles? It would probably make it easier to hit deer if I can use them.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:37 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Shrantic
Fresnel
Shrantic
Ubasti
Lucky b*****d. xP

The Walmart near me has 2 revolving cases of about 10 each. One is shotguns, the other is .22 rifles. Only 2 or 3 are bigger than .22 'cause it isn't legal to shoot a rifle in that area.
Yeah, that's what I've got, the revolving cases. One is 50/50 muzzleloaders and shotguns, and the other is medium-caliber rifles, with a Cricket or two mixed in.

Quote:
Hmm, that makes me think. How would pistol caliber carbines work on deer? Rifles are illegal to shoot around me (I do support this law), but how would the pistol caliber carbine fit in there? I have a feeling I will swing by the local DNR office tomorrow. Only thing I'm concerned with is that a rifle must have 1200 ft./lbs. at the muzzle for deer in my state. Not sure if that applies to all guns. I guess what I'm asking is are pistol caliber carbines still considered rifles? It would probably make it easier to hit deer if I can use them.
I think they're still considered rifles.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games