Welcome to Gaia! ::

おはようございます!!! A Japanese Learning Guild~ Open!

Back to Guilds

This is a guild where you learn and teach Japanese! There's roleplays, lessons, contests and more!This is also for people who love japan ! 

Tags: Japanese, learning, teaching, roleplays 

Reply にほん Lessons~
Complex Sentence Patterns: Adjectives

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mmxz40

3,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm
So far on this thread I've seen some of the basic sentence structures. Lets recap!

Basic Sentences: Simple description Patterns
Basically basic sentences utilizing wa, kore, sore, are, dore, ano, kono, sono, dono, no, and wo.

ex.) Watashi wa Kikyo desu; kore wa boku no enpitsu desu; ano hito wo koroshimasu!!!! etc.

Wa particle: Used to mark the subject of the sentence. Usually at the beginning.

kore sore are dore: words used to mark how far away the object is. Takes place as the unknown subject.

kono sono ano dono: words used to mark how far away the known object is. Used before the subject noun.

no particle: Used to mark possession. The entire possession combo can be considered as the subject.

These are the kinds of sentence structures I've been seeing so far....so lets spice things up a bit.

ii-adjectives: I'm sure most of you should know these by now. i-adjectives make up most of the adjectives used in the Japanese language. They of course mostly end with an i at the end and have certain rules when using them. Using them to describe sentences is easy. Just add them before the noun. Polite form is simple: just add a desu at the end like you do with a regular sentence. Plain form is even simpler: just omit the Desu altogether. Ex.) Tanoshii, ureshii, kanashii, sabishii, kibishii,yasui, takai, etc.

Na-adjectives: These adjectives make up the remainder of what is used in the Japanese language. They don't use i except for a choice few and the difference is simple to remember. Most na adjectives are actually katakana words as well. when describing nouns, you add na next them, which is why they are called na- adjectives. Like ii-adjectives, in polite form just add desu. in plain form, you add da, which is the plain form of desu. ex.) Kirei (one of the specials...means pretty.)) hansamu; benri (Another one), fuben, takusan, etc.

Now something a little interesting. As you know there are rules in the japanese language, and why exclude these adjectives? Now they all have something to do with plain form and dealing with past tense and conjunctions with other adjectives.

ii-adj.: In past plain form, these adj. are transformed pretty easily. Just chop off the i and add katta. remember, the shi syllable is pronounced quickly and should sound like "shh~" when saying the word.

na-adj.: much more simple. Just go and add datta to the end of the adj.

Adjectives in Te-form: just means adj. plus something else. Used to say the object is blank, and blank.

ii-adj.: Te-form is simple. chop off the i and kutte.

Na-adj.: add de to the end of the adj.

Not so hard right?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 am

Maybe you should add example sentences.

あのスーパの魚は安くて美味しいです。
That supermarket's fish is cheap and delicious.
このホテルの女職員は綺麗で若いね。
This hotel's female staff are pretty and young.
Did I get these right?

Could you explain more on what's the past plain form?

Arkab

mmxz40

3,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:51 pm
Arkab

あのスーパの魚は安くて美味しいです。
このホテルの女職員は綺麗で若いね。
Did I get these right?

Past plain form is just the plain form of the adjective in past tense. For ii adjectives, the plain past form is created by chopping the i off and replacing it with a かった.

Ex.)昨日、このコンピューターは新しかった。

For na adjectives, they are just だった。  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:45 am

昨日の晩ご飯は美味しかった。
ki nou no ban go han wa o i shi ka t ta
Yesterday's dinner was delicious.
今朝の膳は苦しかった。
ke sa no zen wa niga shi ka t ta
This morning's meal was disgusting.

Am I correct to use it this way?

Arkab

mmxz40

3,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm
That was just the easy part. In any case everything you've done so far is correct. Just remember about the adjective's te- form, which will be vital to most other grammar patterns.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 am

Hehe, could you give me a sample sentence to illustrate what would constitute a complex sentence? I gave up formal lessons quite early due to time issues, and wasn't introduced to the more complex sentence structures.

あの黒猫はとても可愛いね。
That black cat is very cute.

鉛筆を買った?
Have you bought the pencil?

Arkab

magic311

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:16 pm
What exactly are plain forms? Oh and would these sentences be able to work?
きのう、へいせい二十二年二月十四日で日曜日です。ちょっとおもしろくてたのしいです。  
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm
Arkab

あのスーパの魚は安くて美味しいです。
このホテルの女職員は綺麗で若いね。
Did I get these right?

For teaching, keep in mind that Kanji takes years to memorize, and we are just learning here. Converting these to hiragana would be most helpful.  

Amyroth

Dapper Dabbler

にほん Lessons~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces