Welcome to Gaia! ::

Band Nerd Guild

Back to Guilds

The coolest most awesome most BAND NERDIEST place EVER! 

Tags: band, nerd, music 

Reply Forum of Rock
Tips for a metal vocalist/guitarist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HalfHorizonOfHope

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 am
Vocals: I'm mixing screaming with singing. I'm more of an alto, MAYBE a mezzo soprano at best. I want some tips for screaming so I don't comepletely tear up my throat.

Guitar: I'm playing a drop-D tuned Stratocaster through a Marshall on it's overdrive channel. I'm using mostly barred chords and power chords on this one song I need to finish. I'm also using a Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal in the mid-high to low range for most of the song.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 am
You can go Nowhere in metal, and if brann dailor says it it must be true, but for advice thats actually on topic, for screaming drink honey, I suck at explaining screaming but the honey helps your throat some how, if i can smoke a pack a day and drink honey before every show and come out sounding like a choir boy, it must work.  

Luno-chan

Verne the Vaudevillian

Questionable Sex Symbol

10,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 am
It's funny that you instantly assume she's doing it for success, Luno. Funnier still that your statement assumes that it's easier to find success in any other genre of music when it's not.

Anyway, depending on what you're going for, there's a couple different ways you can try the screaming. If you're going for a lower sound then try to pull the sound from very deep in the throat. It's a lot less painful and gets a really nice, deep, guttural noise. If you're looking for higher pitch then you're just gonna have to deal with some of the pain, but you can go with the old standby of not screaming quite as loud and cupping your hand over the mic to amplify the sound. Otherwise it's all gonna be about ways to coat your throat and soothe the muscles. Tea with equal parts lemon and honey should help with that.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 am
First of all, Brann Dailor isn't the definitive authority on who can and cannot make it in the industry. As much as you may hate it, Sharon Osbourne is more of an authority than he is.

As far as advice on mixing screaming with singing, I say go for it! Just make sure you don't strain your throat too much, could kill a show or gig real quick. The honey method that Luno said is a good one, but add lemon, a lot of vocalists use it. You'll need plenty of vitamin c, which is where the lemon and honey in hot water is good, or grated fresh ginger in hot water with honey is also really good. Avoid tea, coffee, cream and alcohol before singing, they can have a dehydrating effect. Always remember, drink plenty of water!  

Kuyote the Fool

Beloved Hunter

Kanari Moon-sun

Gracious Phantom

7,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 am
HalfHorizonOfHope
Vocals: I'm mixing screaming with singing. I'm more of an alto, MAYBE a mezzo soprano at best. I want some tips for screaming so I don't comepletely tear up my throat.

Guitar: I'm playing a drop-D tuned Stratocaster through a Marshall on it's overdrive channel. I'm using mostly barred chords and power chords on this one song I need to finish. I'm also using a Dunlop Crybaby wah pedal in the mid-high to low range for most of the song.

Assuming your a girl, I know a video on how to scream by inhaling. I am a rookie as well and am trying to do covers of Elena Siegman [x].
As for guitar, I can't give much info other than to practice at least and hour a day. Work on your open chords first.

Forum of Rock

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games